Acid reflux, hiatus hernia and feeling very cold.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just wanted to know if anyone else gets periods of being very very cold and shivery with acid reflux & hiatus hernia? From time to time I get this where I can't get warm and end up with my heating on full blast - fully dressed and wrapped in a duvet - and still feel cold! It seems to take ages for me being wrapped up to actually 'thaw' out - and then I usually sleep for an hour or so. I am not starting with a cold - or anything like that and once I have slept I am ok. This doesn't happen when I have just been outside either - usually when I am just relaxing......

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, found your write up interesting, I also get really bad bouts of cold, and wrap myself up in a blanket and I know place a hit water bottle on my back which does help. It improved after gallbladder was removed. But have never thought it being related to acid reflux or my hh. Also due to my having thyroid problems put it down to that. But will check it out with my GP on me visit. If you know a cure anytime soon let me know.
    • Posted

Hi Janet,

I always used to blame it on my meds - but I've changed them 3 times and I still get this. When I am this cold - my poor hubby has to put teashirts on - as I have the house so warm it's like an oven! I'm not aware I have any other problems - aside being on HRT - but I've been on that for years with no apparent problems. The first few times I thought I was coming down with a bug - but nothing ever comes of it - and it can happen on nice sunny days too!

• Posted

Odly enough had a bout last night, we bought an electric blanket, I was still shivering with it on. Kept heating on all night which we never do. I do also go the other way and have very hot sweats night or day. Because have several issues hard to know what is what. This web site is a blessing.
  • Posted

Hi. I have a small HH and silent reflux and I do get bouts of feeling much colder than anyone in the house. I have just been diagnosed with an under active thyroid so I think that could be the reason. I started Thyroxin last week and I'm hoping it will settle me down. As with so many health queries it's all a mystery - sometimes no rhym or reason. Hope you get some answers but in the meantime wrap up warm. 😊
    • Posted

Thanks Lindsey,

I'll keep your advice in mind. Once I've slept I'm absolutely fine. It's almost like my body forcing me to shut down for a couple of hours. I thought it may be linked to low acid in the stomach - and your body not getting all the nutrients it needed or something like that. I'll certainly mention it next time I see my Doc.

• Posted

Hi Lindsey, been on thyroid for interactive thyroid for about 4 years now. And several issues with a lot of meds. It's like you say a mystery. Most of mine are gut bowel issues, high bp, vitamin B12 is boarder line. Bone density not good hospital appointment not till 1st April with consultant. And had breast cancer with mastectomy and reconstruction, on tabs still for that.Plus a few other minor bits and pieces. Gallbladder removed 2 months ago. My doctor laughed and said do not worry we will just keep removing the bad it's till nothing left. At least it's good to have a sense of humour.
  • Posted

Funny you should mention that because I am heavily plagued with HH/silent reflux issues at the moment and two days ago I had such cold hands in the evening that I thought it was a Renault syndrome as they were almost turning white! Never thought of the connection between two conditions though. My sure answer to freezing before bedtime (usually) is a hot shower.  Calms my anxieties as well - as I have occasional bouts of uncontrollable shaking which apparently is anxiety related. I am also waking up snugly and warm no problems and without heating being on as well but going to bed is a different matter. Sometimes I just can't fall asleep because of being cold and extra blankets won't help. Second best after the shower is a good old hot water bottle. Hope this helps a bit. Regards, Anna
    • Posted

Hi Anna,

It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets this. Yes I love a warm bath when I feel like this or a hot water bottle. I often wonder if it's because the tablets for reflux stop the production of acid and food isn't digesting properly - leading to deficiances. Right now I wish I could get rid of my tablets!

• Posted

Have you figured out what the problem was? I also have a hiatus hernia and gastritis and the cold is killing me.

• Posted

Hi Emil43937

This is a post I wrote years ago - but weirdly I had my hiatus hernia fixed by fundoplication operation- the shivering episodes never stopped. I am now finding that these shiver episodes in me are actually caused by dehydration. As time has gone on these episodes have become more frequent and I have fairly recently found out that my kidney function is not what it should be. Dehydration could be the cause of this - not you stomach. Being sick and feeling sick doesn't help though.

• Posted

Hi Glennie68,

That's interesting.

Sometimes after eating food, my body heats up for some time. Do you experience the same thing?

And also, do you experience fatigue?

Does drinking more water help you?

Thanks for responding even though it's been 6 years. I hope you can answer my questions.

• Posted

I probably did get warm after eating back then. Now I feel Ok - but soon after get very very tired.

When I get cold now - I am super cold. Found out recently that my usual temperature is 36.6 degrees c - when I get this cold sensation my temperature drops to about 34.3 can only get warm with lots of heat!

I also found that not drinking for a few hours due to hospital tests make me feel very poorly. I dehydrate quite quickly - and it takes me a couple of days to recover.

• Posted

I see.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this.

I don't know if I have the same kind of cold/chills as you but I will drink more water and see if that helps, although I doubt it will. A few years ago I've spent a month or so drinking ~5l of water per day and the cold was pretty bad even then.

This stuff is definitely unnerving and if I make any significant discoveries I will post them here.

• Posted

if you have any concerns - then get it checked out with your GP. There are many reasons why you would get chills like this - such as auto immune conditions such as under active thyroid or Sjogren's syndrome, or it could be mineral or vitamin deficiency. In my case - I am still trying to find out why. I have cut out gluten and a lot of processed foods - still get this! I have also had tons of tests to rule things out - just recently found my kidney function has declined, then read about the affects of dehydration. It maybe totally different for you - best get it checked out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.