Acid Reflux & horrible stomach issues after Prilosec, what?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For years I have had sometimes disabling stomach issues and acid reflux. My primary care practitioner told me to take acid reducers and to eat at least every 2 hours when I initially brought it up (2-3 years ago). The issues have gradually worsened since then and she referred me to a gastroenterologist (I have yet to make an appointment) and had me on a two week Prilosec treatment. At the end of the treatment the acid was greatly decreased, but less than three days later the stomach issues and acid reflux was back (and it feels even worse than before).

I can hardly eat anything without some digestive consequence or another. Yesterday I was in pain (muscle pain and stomach crap) and after I ate an early dinner I felt really full and bloated, but I had no need to use the restroom until this morning. When I did, it took a very long time for me to actually feel the need to and even longer for anything to happen (which even the BM needed me to press on my stomach).

Even after using the bathroom and eating a healthy breakfast, everything still hurts and at this point there hasn't been a day for a very long time where I haven't felt gross stomach-wise.

Any ideas?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did you come off the PPI immediately or did you come off it slowly, gradually reducing the dose? Sometimes you can get acid rebound if you come off PPIs too quickly.  The other possibility is that you have had a reaction to the medication.  Some people get bloating with PPIs. Try milk to settle your stomach; it is great for reducing acid and will not irritate your stomach so long as you are not lactose intolerant.
    • Posted

Unfortunately, I am lactose intolerant.

And yes, a family member helps manage my medications and one day I just didn't have a Prilosec left.

• Posted

Sounds like you are suffering acid rebound. It happens when you come off ppi cold turkey and have a sensitive stomach. The excess acid will cause you pain and acid reflux. It take 2/3 weeks to level out again. Use Zantac 150mg in the mean time

Till the ppi effects wear off

• Posted

Thank you very much for your advice! I'll give it a shot!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.