Acid reflux is taking over my life

Posted , 4 users are following.

On July 24th I started getting really bad stomach burning, shortness of breath, belching, felt like something was closing up my throat. I would have to yawn to try to get a full breath in, I felt like burping was my only hope to get somewhat relief. It's gotten to the point where I lay on my chaise all day because once I get up I get heart palpitations and feel like I'm out of breath just by going to the bathroom! I burp 1000000 times a day because otherwise I feel like my throat would clog up. I can barely eat, I have to eat whenever I get the chance to feel better, and nights are worse than days 😱 It's been ruining my life for the past 2 weeks. I was prescribed omeprazole 2 times a day morning before meal and evening before meal and I don't see any results. I know it's too early to see any changes but this is just unbearable. I can't ride in a car because I feel like I'm going to pass out and get short of breath! Please someone give me any type of advise!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to a doctor about this ? 

If so what tests were done ? 

And what did he say ? 

• Posted

Yes I have been to the doctor several times and was told it was acid reflux and I was given omeprazole 2x a day and was told that she will be sending me to a GI doctor.i have had tests like a cr scan, blood work, X-ray, a stress test. Everything game back normal.
  • Posted

GregZ01,

I too always wonder why people don't follow up through their doctor, even if some of us may have medical qualifications, the person asking the questions still needs face to face consultations. Rigena as you suggest need to go back to her doctor, get some exploratory investigations performed, and follow the advice given. A second opinion should be from a gastroenterologist, and Not from us! By all means get support here from fellow sufferers, find some of the questions she should be asking her physician, and above all go the the medical education section provided on this site and learn more about her condition. We can only give sensible advice, but I often feel people tend just to want to vent, and not listen to good advice such as that given by yourself. Let's hope Rigena will consiider the obvious, and go back to her doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for all that info but I have been to the doctor and was diagnosed with acid Reflux and as I said on my post I was prescribed omeprazole tablets 2x a day and I'm still waiting for my primary doctor to get records from the hospital to send me to a GI doctor. I don't want to vent anything. Just would like to hear other people's personal experiences and how and if they've overcome it. I've been asking the same questions to my doctor and she says they need to further test me. Why don't you ask if I've been discussing these things with a doctor instead of just assuming that I haven't been to my doctor.  Just want to read other people experience with acid reflux. 

• Posted

And you come to the right place to have a group of supporters with those of us who share the same dymptoms. Some are worse than others, yet can get MOST ppl who und r stand.

I'm so sorry that you come here for support and assurance and had to be attacked. I saw where you wrote that you had already been to the doctor and we're waiting for further tests and that it had only been 2 weeks yet you were suffering. So please understand that people here do understand what you are going through. I too have acid reflux and what we called Globus. That is the feeling that something is in your throat. I also, when I get full after eating, get the breathlessness that you were talking about. That is not fun at all. I can so relate. But just keep going to the check-ups and see what they can do for you. And I can say that I take 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar organic in a half a cup of water and drink it every morning and this truly seems to help. Also when you're feeling the acid pretty bad a slice of red delicious apple seems to help as well. I am not trying to doctor you as some would think but am just trying to give you some additional things to try along with your doctor's advice. My ENT said the apple cider vinegar was fine to take. So just find a good forum and try different methods along with your doctor's advice and see what may help. Do a lot of reading about it. I also get the heart palpitations, not as bad as yourself but my heart will sometimes feel like it is running away with me. So yes it is a scary time. Hope you find Solutions take care

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've been experienceing this. As an 18 year old that has been struggling with this over almost half my life I know it can ruin days and days at a time. 

First off, you need to go for a colonoscopy to make sure there is nothing serious in your throat or stomach causing this. I would definitely discuss it with your doctor. Most likely there is nothing wrong, you just need to be sure with symptoms like those. 

If that comes back clear, the doctor will simply put and keep you on an anti acid. If this works for you great, but most people are not cured by this. Diet can have a HUGE impact on reflux, even foods you don't think would trigger it can be triggering it. Starting a more bland diet low in acid and spicy foods would be first attempt, if that doesn't work try eliminating gluten an dairy as those are likely to cause reflux especially dairy. It's annoying but the chance it will ease your symptoms is great. Another thing that can help me is mixing baking soda and water. It may not cure  all but it's worth a shot. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Ok here's a few tips . 

I'm trying to do all this stuff to and these tips were given to me . 

First slow down , and concentrate on non acidic food and drink , 

Go to the store and get yourself flavored kool-aid . ( any flavor ) 

Stay away from the sodas and fizzy stuff 

Also fruits such as melons , water melon etc does work well to cut the acid down , 

As far as the omepresol I'm on that also however it does take time for the medication to desolve and release into the body , so I keep a container of tums nearby always , it helps , 

If possible get on a diet of low acidic foods as best u can . 

By no means am I an expert , and I have questions to , just sharing a few tips I was given , because I have had acid reflux issues for a long time , and feeling your chest burning everyday , dry cough , shortness or breath , belching are all most unpleasant to say the least . 

Hope this helps ..... try it . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.