Acid Reflux Medicine Not Working

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’ve tried all of the acid reflux medicines. My doctor finally put me on a high dose of omeprazole, but, like the other medications, it only seems to be making my acid reflux worse. When I took the other medications, it felt like I dumped acid down my throat and I had breathing issues for a few days afterwards. Now that I’m taking the higher dose of the medication, I’m having the same symptoms I did with the other medications. The doctor is going to do a surgery to help stop the acid reflux. My question is why are my medications doing this to me and why are they causing the acid to burn my throat instead of preventing it?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Try taking a calcium/magnesium supplement that helps me very well. 

• Posted

I tried taking magnesium, but it made my scalp feel like it was crawling (I checked for lice, there weren’t any). Will the calcium be fine on its own?
    • Posted

Hi, yes, I think it will be fine as well. I also like Aloe Vera - not for acid reflux, but for calming my stomach and digestive tract. 
  • Posted

Have you ever had a ph test to test the volume of acid in your stomach?  In the 60's and 70's doctors recognized that as we age, we produce less hydrochloric acid in our stomachs.  Now standard treatment has changed and when people have acid reflux, they are usually prescribed something to reduce stomach acid, without testing to see if that is, in fact, the problem.  If you don't produce enough stomach acid, the symptoms are exactly the same as producing too much.  You need acid to cause the sphincter from your stomach into your small intestine to open.  If you don't have enough, your sphincter doesn't open causing your stomach to bulge and the acid you do have goes back up your esophagus.  Taking either an hcl pepsin after meals or taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before meals helps to increase your hcl production.  Hope this helps you.

• Posted

Thank you very much! I’m getting the test you mentioned done soon, so hopefully that’ll provide the answer. 
  • Posted

The medications may not be suiting you.  If you can tolerate milk, try that for the reflux before considering surgery.  Milk soothes the stomach.
    • Posted

Unfortunately I am lactose intolerant. Do you have any other advice that might help?
    • Posted

The ohly thing I can suggest is to go back to your doctor for further advice.  Have you tried any over the counter antacids that are H2 blockers rather than PPIs?
  • Posted

Yes. They had the same effect. 
    • Posted

Your best option then is to see your doctor who will have the medical knowledge that I don’t have.
  • Posted

Have you had an endoscopy?
    • Posted

Yes. I’ve had two, one before the medication and one after. They found no difference in the damage in my esophagus. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.