Acid reflux only when exercising.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am currently recovering from gastritis and for 2 months I've been taking Omeprazole 20mg. When I exercise though, and only when I exercise, I constantly get acid reflux. For example, when I play football it won't take more than 5 minutes of running before I reflux and have to slow down (it's not nausea but acid reflux). I don't understand why this only happens when I run. More importantly after 2 months of Omeprazole I thought this would've subsided as per the Doctor's advice. Does anyone else suffer from acid reflux like I do when running? Is it related to gastritis and is there anything I can take or do to eliminate this reflux feeling?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

How soon after food or liquid intake before exercise?..Acidic foods or liquids can be present in your stomach?

Also, PPI's long term have "rebound" effects....ask your dr if you can substitute bismuth for a trial? But be sure you "ween" off of the PPI..dr will have best advice.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I've varied how much I eat before a game but either way I still have that feeling when I exercise. 

I'm still taking the PPI so it might be that I need more time...still not sure if this is a common thing. 

• Posted

rayran rana is on target....you put a load on your stomach when you exercise...keeping a safe time from meal to exercise is somewhat of a

trial and error...generally 2 to 3 hours but..we differ...long term use of a ppi is "not wise"...our FDA has warned physicians...and there are plenty of medical studies and papers since 2000 of the consequences...before you ask us nobodies...do some adroit digging into medical abstracts about PPI and long term use...best use most recent..2010 to 2014...Unless I'm doing specific work..I merely go to the "conclusions" but that's lazy...if you don't want to feel that "feelin" pop a 300 mg of bismuth pre exercise..works within minutes..doesn't cure anything....merely blocks the acid from heading upwards..."most of the time"....real good practical diets are the best way to protect your digestive system....even irina78724 agrees or I with irina...Claudio

• Posted

I'll read into the long term use of PPI, I am a bit worried that I'm taking too much but doctors orders seem to be that it's fine for now. I do agree that exercising is putting a strain on my stomach but it is just so unusual to have this problem. I will try not eating for longer periods before exercise to see if this helps.
    • Posted

doctors while crucial..they are not "always" up to date...PPI's in particular..I recall a paper from either Leeds or Kings College regarding fear of long term use. The overwhelming evidence is it blocks the absorption of iron, magnesium and B 12. And of course basic biology tells us lack of these can have major implications. Re diet...what, when and how much are basic..no one exact plan works for everyone..its a trial and error "individual" program...You might have an underlying cause of this if this is somewhat "new"? 1. can be another med? 2. can be some minor inflammation within the digestive system. 3.many others but these 2 are starters. I'd try the bismuth, preferable the chew/tablet..almost like a lozenge....If it works or doesn't.......gives us "possible" clues, if your taking other meds, check out their potential side effects....Claudio
    • Posted

Thanks again, I take Gaviscon before a run so I guess that covers the Bismuth. I'll monitor it now and report back what helped and what didn't. Cheers
    • Posted

Hi,

there are some differences between the two...the active ingredients in Gaviscon differ by pharma's... they both attempt to do the same but

the bismuth is an "element"...vs a combo of ingredients like the formula from RB.....The three active ingredients in Reckitt Benckiser's version are sodium alginate, a bicarbonate (either sodium or potassium in variants) and an antacid (calcium carbonate). My "take"...is whatever doesn't work...stop...try something else. Bismuth is only a guess...could be another formula might work better..Bismuth has been a starting point for simple trials. While it has anti acid qualities, it has other properties that could be benefical like for hp and or peptic ulcer..thus my reasoning ...Claudio

• Posted

You should not exercise within two/three hours after meal.
    • Posted

Cheers, I have tried not eating 2-3 hours but I will still have this reflux problem.
  • Posted

I have silent reflux and gastritis. I noticed when I go to exercise my voice became hoarse and I start clearing my throat. And reflux started when I was on dexilant. I was also surprised why would reflux start if PPI supposed to treat it? 

What helps me is dieting. 

• Posted

Thanks, I do believe dieting will help my cause. Seems to be no explanation as to why this may be the case but I'll watch my diet and report if that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.