Acid Reflux or just BMS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

*SO* this is going to be a longish one but I'm really at my wits end so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Around 12 months ago I noticed a really nasty taste in my mouth which tasted exactly like acid. I'd never had reflux of any sort before but it was immediately what I thought of, I went to the Doctor and was prescribed Omeprazole and Ranitidine, and some Fluoxitine (I'm suceptible to anxiety so I thought I should try and SSRI - I'm still on it today).

My Omeprazole dosage was gradually raised before I was switched to Esomeprazole thrice daily. I've had all of the tests under the sun and I've got no erosion of my esophagus and my DeMeester Score is 5 with some correlation between reflux and symptoms. I reasonably frequently pushed the button on the device thinking I was symptomatic - sometimes when there was no reflux (possibly because I was 'looking' for reflux symptoms because of the test)

I recently read about BMS and I'm not wondering if it COULD be just that that I have, so I have a few questions:

+ When I get an acidic taste in my mouth, I don't ever really feel it coming up my throat. I just start tasting it - it's certainly very different to if I work out after a large meal or something, then I definitely feel stuff backing up my throat for obvious reasons. If it was acid reflux, should I feel it entering the mouth or is it common to just start tasing it?

+ I do get a burning tongue but I also often get an acidic taste without a burning tongue, is this common if you have BMS without reflux?

+ I have very thin nasal passages which means I'm a "mouth breather" - could this have any impact?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated - I'm at the point now where I really need to decide if I want to persue surgery or not and I'm so conflicted. I'm at my wits end!

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What is bms? Most meds take weeks to see if they r working and u should be taking them 1/2 hr to an hour before meals
    • Posted

Burning Mouth Syndrome - as I say, I've been taking them for 12 months smile

• Posted

acid might have just started coming up recently, but you don't notice it because ur esophagus has no damage yet... Ik im 21 and had acid in my eroding my teeth for years but didn't start noticing it in my esophagus until my esophagus started to erode

• Posted

I have had this lump in my throat for nearly a year and there is no sign of it letting up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.