Acid reflux or other issue? Feeling in throat after I eat/drink

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a problem for over a month where after I eat a big meal, drink caffeine, drink alcohol, or for seemingly no reason I can feel what I consumed coming back up in my throat. Sometimes I vomit bile or will vomit what I recently put into my body, other times I feel like I need to vomit until I burp a few times over a span of maybe 45 minutes and then I feel better. I think TUMs usually helps this situation, but it's been happening for a while and I was wondering if it's serious or what I can do to prevent this. I've taken acid reflux over the counter medication, but it says to use for 2 weeks and then not again for around 6 months. It doesn't seem to have solved the problem because I still get the uncomfortable feeling of something coming up into my throat. I'm new to this website so I'm not sure if I'm putting this post in the right spot, but any feedback would be great. Thanks!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I know that caffeine and alcohol can aggravate reflux along with large meal portions. Have you tried cutting back on any of those to see if it would help? Have you ever been checked for a hernia? I have the regurgitation and burping a lot. It's very uncomfortable.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

Do you have a hernia? Ive had problems for around 8 months. Had a barrier swallow and did not detect one. I have an endoscopy next week. Ive heard that sometimes a hernia is detected through endoscopy but not barrier swallow.

• Posted

Hi Sara,

I am not sure if I have a hernia. I also have an endoscopy scheduled in two weeks. I had one last year that showed gastritis. For me, I think my declining hormones are causing a lot of my issues. Just doing endoscopy to rule out anything crazy.

• Posted

Oh ok thank you. Im going through menopause. I was interested to know if you were diagnosed soley with gastritis last year or gerd as well? . My acid reflux came from nowhere after a bout of toothache. I was taking lots of anti imflamatory meds and also strong antibiotics at the time.

• Posted

It was just gastritis/mild inflammation. No mention of GERD at that time. This time might be a different story. These peri symptoms are terrible at times. I just started my birth control pill last night so I am hoping this is going to level me out enough to get back to somewhat normal.

• Posted

Yes i agree. Its amazing the symptoms you get with peri. I had a bad skin complaint for about two years, now thats gone and now ive got bad acid reflux! What were your symptoms with gastritis apart from reflux?

• Posted

My stomach had a lot of burning and no matter what I ate I had indigestion and gas.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Hope you have found a difference taking birth control pills?

• Posted

I just started them Sunday night. I am guessing it will take a while for my body to adjust. Praying it helps.

• Posted

It seems some better. Still having the feeling of acid coming up in my throat and I cannot eat a lot at one time. The gas has died down some. Not burping near as much. I am still scheduled for an endoscopy in 2 weeks. I still plan to go to rule out anything more serious.

• Posted

I know it has been awhile since you posted about your gastritis. I am going through it now and I was wondering how long it took yours to go away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.