Acid reflux or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been quite ill for around a month, I was taken into hospital because I was throwing up stomach acid daily and had an endoscopy performed, this showed I had gastritis. Since then I have been taken Omeprazole and for a few days after I came out of hospital I was fine.

Then I began throwing up Stomach acid every morning, I would then be fine in the evening and start throwing up again as soon as I woke up, around an hour after I took my Omeprazole.

The doctor game me ranitidine and I currently take 300mg 2 x a day and I take 20mg of Omeprazole in the morning. 

None of this is having any effect, I am still throwing up stomach acid every morning, It doesn't matter if I have eaten or not all I throw up is the stomach acid. I have also developed a burning sensation in the back of my throat that I can't get rid off. 

My doctor has no idea what is wrong and seems to have run out of ideas, I am dangerous;y close to giving up, I dread waking up every morning and there seems to be no end to how long this will go on for. Any ideas?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did your endoscopy show a large amount of bile in your stomach? Actical works for me for bile gastritis.

Have you ever had a Gastric Emptying Study to see if you have gastroparesis? This is a slow emptying of the stomach. The GES is an easy way to find out. And if you do have it, you should probably try a liquid diet and get a motility drug like Domperidone.

You should also be on a nausea medicine! If your doctor doesn't know what's wrong, get yourself to another doctor!

I hope you feel better soon,

Kristina

• Posted

For the time being while you try to investigate the cause, it might help to prop up your matress at the end where your head is with a wedge acid reflux pillow or by putting a couple of bricks under that end of the bed so that you sleep at an angle. This helps with gravitation and keep the acidity down.

It may take a few weeks to alleviate the symptoms. Hope it helps.

• Posted

Hi Phil,

Obviously the omeprazole is not having the desired effect. Have you only had an endoscopy? have you had any other tests such as H.Pylori test this tiny bacteria causes dreadful stomach acid and makes you sick and quite unwell because it burrows into the stomach wall and duodenum.  How are your bowels and digestion after food? Is it certain foods that may be causing the stomach acid?  I suggest you keep a food diary especially what you eat at night!! do you eat late at night?...make a note of all the food and drink you consume and see what makes you vomit.  Also, go back to your GP and ask for an Helicobacter Pylori (H.Pylori) test. This is usually done with a stool sample...

hope this helps...best wishes..

• Posted

Hi, thans for your replies, I have hd the bacteria test and they said it was negative. Also food doesn't seem to bother any of it I can eat anything and still feel just as bad. Nothing is helping and I can't seem to get a second opinion of any other doctor because they are all labelling it as stress. 

• Posted

Hi Phil,

Its very frustrating when doctors cant give a diagnosis after all their the professionals.! Do you get any pain before you throw up? I would say at guess the burning sensation at the back of your throat is due to the stomach acid which may be burning the back of your throat.  It sounds as if you are bringing the medication back up. This is a difficult one. Do you get any other symptoms? are you losing weight? ......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.