Acid reflux pains ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was wondering if acid reflux can cause upper back pain as well as arm pain almost like nerve pain I would say in the arms . I get a lot of chest pain and it is in different areas in my chest sometimes . Been to the Er 6 times in 3 months and they say my heart is fine . I have had 6 ekg 6 blood rest and 2 or 3 chest X-rays . Have seen a gi doctor and was put on protonix but it causesed me to have severe headaches so I’ve been put on omeprazole for about 7 or 8 days now and have had pain and stuff every day . I also get a feeling like something is stuck in my throat . I still worry it’s my heart for some reason but my blood pressure is always around 130 over 85. And I have anxiety as well so it does not help . I was wondering if any one else had upper pain pain and sometimes arm pain from this 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ps I am 22 years old as well 
  • Posted

Hi

Just to let you know that I have suffered reflux for past year and half and my worst symptom is upper to mid back pain and yes sometimes it goes into my arms, the pain can get really bad at times, have you had an endoscopy?

• Posted

Hey Kate and no my gi doctor said he did not want to do a scope I’m scared to have one anyways . And do you ever get like a feeling like something is stuck in your throat or discomfort in chest ? I have had some upper stomach or abdomen pain as well . I have been so scared because I think it’s my heart but test have shown it’s not but like I said I have anxiety and my body scared me 
    • Posted

Yes I get all same symptoms at different times, don't be afraid of an endoscopy it could give you huge peace of mind and you will be sedated tru it

• Posted

Is there anything that I can take to get rid of the pain honestly ? 
    • Posted

You have to get the reflux to calm so you might need to up your dose of ppi, you cud ask your gp to recommend a pair n killer that won't upset your existing reflux

• Posted

What medicine has worked for you and bye do you ever get the jaw pain too 
    • Posted

To be honest nothing really works very well, the ppi just calms things down a bit but some days are really bad especially if I don't watch what I eat, I had such bad jaw pain last August that the doctor put me on nerve pain tablets, the were good but made me very drowsy, I couldn't drive. I Really thing eating a very bland diet and try to relax is all that helps, do you know if you have a hernia

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies I greatly appreciate it Kate and no have not been scoped and no doctor has said anything about a hernia . I have given up soda and drink water and maybe 1 tea or lemonade a day because I love lemonade. And I’m glad you said you have had the same problems I have had because I have been so paranoid and an emotional wreck that I believe it was my heart hence all the Er visits . It’s scary because the chest pain arm pain shoulder pain back pain and jaw pay are all heart problem symptoms but then again I am only 22 and have to believe the doctors about my heart being fine . But I was just walking at work a little bit ago and got bad chest pain in center of chest for 5 seconds it’s just scary 
    • Posted

Yes, I know, I've been to 4 different doctors in past 4 weeks hoping for another endoscopy as I am feeling so wretched, probiotics are good to take every day and slippery elm to line your stomach, hang in there it's a long healing process, we need to be as kind to ourselves as we can, hope you have a happy Xmas, try to relax, it really has nothing to do with your heart.

• Posted

Why do you want to have another endoscopy ? And is the acid reflux ever to be cured because it just started on me out of no where one day . And I’m trying to relax I am just scared of pain like that I’m my chest . And I’ve read this pills I take can destroy my liver and that bothers me as well
    • Posted

I need to know if my stomach is OK, I've been having pain on and off and nausea, trouble with reflux is, the aim all the time is to try protect the oesophagus, I would love to be able to come off the pills but am worried what damage would be done then, the strange thing is I had to come off them last June's to have 24hr manometry test done, that's where they put a tube into your stomach and monitor the acid for 24hrs,and I stayed off tablets until September and felt really well, but my doctor said to go back on them, there's no quick fix for this awful disease

• Posted

I get nauseous a lot lately and I’m just sick and tired of it and only bad been dealing with it since beginning of September . And I’m scared of surgery and stuff like that I guess I just will eat very plain I don’t know if I should stay on these pills or not . I just want to quit hurting it’s depressing I’ve been put on anxiety pills twice since this has started and they make me suicidal I just want it to stop and I don’t understand why my GI doctor does not want to do a scope because the first time I went he said if this doesn’t work we will prob have to do a scope and then I went almost 2 weeks ago and he changed my meds and said if this doesn’t work then we will try the old style meds and I asked about a scope and he said he can’t do that for me idk why 

• Posted

Southport,

I have the feeling of something stuck in my throat too! I really don’t have chest pain!! Your pain is probably more from the  aniexty!! Have they given you anything for aniexty? I wish I could be better help, but I’m having the same issues! I just don’t think the feelings I have is just gerd!! 

• Posted

I tried Prozac and buspar for anxiety and made me very depressed and had bad side effects so I’m not taking them now. Do you get the upper back pain and some times arm pain ? I have had the feeling in my throat past 2 days off and on
    • Posted

I do have back pain and down back of my left arm, but I also am battling tight muscles in my neck and shoulder! I never would of thought it could from acid reflux!! My next step is going to ask for an endoscope! You should maybe have one to rule other things out! I’m scared to have one, but it could possibly give me answers!! I was on prozac too! They took me from 20mg to 40 mg and I got such bad tremors had to go back down! Now I’m trying to get off! There are so many more aniexty meds out there! I’m not a dr but I think that  your symptoms are probably worst due to you worrying so much!! I understand its hard though! Going through this is so flusterating! Then for the Drs not helping much!! Try to relax a little and thinking it is your heart! Wish you the best hope you find answers!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.