Acid reflux, ppis, side effects

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have been taken off ppis because I reacted so badly to them fatigue, dizziness, jittery feelings

generally unwell and nearly unable to function. Was on them for about 6 weeks with one two day

break. Now 10 days after stopping and now just taking gaviscon xtra and ranitidine twice a very

small dose each time ( I also seem to react to these) I am still feeling very tired and jittery, has

anyone else felt such awful side effects and ones which have hung around for so long

afte finishing medication. Really frightened now and anxious. Have been to gp surgery thinking I

was going to pass out, awating results of blood test. Think that being very anxious not helping Help and advice needed please,now frightened of all drugs.

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda

Sorry you are suffering so much. PPI's are generally well tolerated (I have been on Omeprazole for 18 months with no effects at all). These should be out of your system by now.

Do you have a hiatal hernia? If so this can cause some pretty horrid symptoms in addition to the reflux.

• Posted

Thank you. I know that most people tolerat ppis well but a small percentage do not and i am one of them. I

dont have a hiatal hernia -have had an endoscopy- and these symptoms only occurred after started taking

ppis unless its a horrible coincidence and ther is something else wrong. It feels a bit like what chronic

fatigue symdrome must be like.

• Posted

Linda,

I cannot tolerate PPIs either so I feel for you. I did try H2 blockers for a month and a half with little to no help. I'm now trying the natural route and I think it might be working though I have to say it is too early to be sure. I'm taking 3 mg melatonin 2 hrs before bed and DGL licorice 2X per day 20 min or so before meals. There is peer reviewed research to support the melatonin. I'm not sure about the licorice, but an article from the NIH (U.S.) said that the licorice thins the mucus.

So, this is what I'm trying now: Dr. Koufman's low acid diet and rules, the melatonin, the DGL licorice and Iceland alkaline water. We shall see. So far so good. If this really works like it seems to be doing, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Linda,

If it's just acid reflux and not something else, eating spinach may help. It helped me. I eat it boiled with salt, pepper, little garlic, olive oil. Stick it in the microwave for 9-10 minutes. I like it well done and drink the broth. If you don't mind eating spinach, try it every day for a week and see if it makes a difference. For me, it stops acid reflux immediately. If it starts in the middle of night, I get up, microwave some spinach, eat it and 10 minutes later I'm sleeping like a baby. Hope it works for you.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I had the same side effects as you with omeprazole. I had been taking a large dose for a few months which were not really curing my symptoms but I kept taking them thinking that they may take some time to be effective. At first I did not associate the shakyness, unsteadyness, spaced out feeling and palpitations with the drug. Eventually I had to go to A&E as the palpitations were so bad one night. Even then they were not associated with the PPI. It was only through exensive research myself that I made the link.

It took some time (can't remember exactly how long but certainly a couple of months) for me to feel as though I had my mojo back and feel more normal again.

I now take a small amount of Ranitidine and Gaviscon - and of course all the lifestyle stuff. I am not cured and LPR symptoms do fluctuate in severity but at least I now feel better. The side effects of the PPI were awful.

I am wondering if there is also a hormonal link with LPR as my symptoms are worse at some times of the month with other factors remaining the same. Maybe to do with LES and UES relaxation?? I had an endoscopy and it just showed I had gastritis. No HH. I also sent off the peptest which was negative. So I don't really know what is causing my symptoms.

I hope you start to feel better soon, good luck.

Linda

• Posted

lpb...I have been off PPIs for 2 weeks and still have unbearable chest pain. Shouldn't this side effect be gone by now?
  • Posted

Thank you for that, t have now been off the ppi for 2 weeks having been on them for 6 weeks and i think the

worst physical symptoms are diminishing but still feeling a bit wobbly and tired, the main problem now is

my anxiety and depression which is really bad and this also seemed to increase when I was taking the ppis. I too taek a small amount of ranitidine at night only 75mg as I cannot tolerate higher doses of that either and gaviscon. I have got a weak oesophagus and stomach ( I am 66 ao monthly cycle not relevant ) and a faulty valve which is why the acid refluxes upwards- do you have that? That is the usual problem for people with

constant reflux.

My throat is sore all the time and I have difficulty sleeping but no real heartburn only slight chest pain and

wheeziness. Praying the othe side effects will wear off. Perhaps I should have a peptest. I am being

considered for the fondiplication op. but may not be able to have it because of my weak oesophagus.

• Posted

linda...I have been off PPIs for 2 weeks and still have unbearable chest pain. Shouldn't this side effect be gone by now?
  • Posted

Hello Linda

It took me some time to fell as though I had 'returned to normal' after stopping PPIs. Like you they made me anxious which is not like me - I am usually a calm, capable and optamistic person but I was losing my confidence and felt shaky (physically and mentally) most of the time. It was horrible so I can understand your situation - I do now feel back to normal from that respect so hope you continue to feel better given some more time.

When I had my gastroscopy they said my valve was ok so I really don't know why I am having all the classic LPR symptoms. Having had to push for all the tests and pay for the Peptest myself I feel my GP is not really helpful as we have come to the stage where he has run out of solutions. That is why I am trying to live with it by taking the small amount of medication which I seem to be able to tollerate and all the advised lifestyle changes I have read about (diet, ph water, etc etc). My main distressing symptoms are a lump and tightness in the throat, hoarseness and pressure in my ears......some days bad and some days not so bad.

Sounds as though you know what is causing your symptoms and that there may be a surgical solution. I hope you find this .............though it sounds as though it is not definite...........good luck and keep us posted.

Linda

• Posted

Has anyone been tested for leaky gut?
  • Posted

Food sensitivities may be causing this too....
  • Posted

I was given PPI'S (Omeprazole one 20mg per day) only on them 10 days. They did not work for me, as I was still getting burning in chest. I started feeling week about that time. I did not put it down to the PPI. I have been off of these for over four months. My Dr changed me to Ranitidine (150 mg twice daily) and does the job for me, I find the Gavisgon tablets helpful too.I still feel as if I am geting over the flu, my legs feel week all the time. I thought this feeling was down to the GERD/GORD problem.

I was a healthy 64 year old early last year. I went to the gym swam regular, till May, when I started to get what I thought was Hay fever. Non seasonal Rhinitis is what it was. Four months later, Asthma started (I have never smoked). GERD symptoms appeared shortly after the Asthma.

I am really interested in all that has been posted about PPI'S causing the fatigue/tiredness.

I also found I was for ever trying to clear my throat, but since cutting out Dairy and having Almond milk my throat feels clearer.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I was given Omeprazole 20mg once a day for a month last year for dyspepsia. Didnt feel any adverse symptoms. Symptoms of dyspepsia came back together with a feeling of breathlessness, chest ache, dry throat and a feeling of a lump in my oesophagus. I was restarted on the Omeprazole and referred for an endoscopy. All tests came back normal. LES normal but I still had these symptoms. 

I also felt very anxious and at one point I felt a panic attack coming on. I am generally level headed and can rationalise things but I was obsessing about what was wrong with me seeing as everything came back normal. I felt jittery and on a knife edge but was told by the GP that perhaps stress has been causing all these symptoms.

I stopped the Omeprazole after feeling much better and anxiety had settled. However, 3 days after stopping the symptoms in my chest reappeared so I started Omeprazole again. The same day I ended up with a panic attack!

I am now at a quandry and have to weigh up whats causing more bother to me. The anxiety when I take Omeprazole or the chest aches, dry throat etc. The Omeprazole helps with my chest but I definitely feel jittery on them. I also don't want to start taking tablets as I am very healthy, run 3 or 4 times a week and am only 39. Thats a lot of years (hopefully) ahead of taking pills!

I've been looking at acid reflux diets and I think I'm going to try this. I have a feeling Omeprazole is suppressing good acid and I will end up with more ailments if I continue this.

Anyone have any suggestions of an Acid Reflux diet?

I will try the Spinach option as I love it! Thanks x

• Posted

3 mg Melatonin two hours before bed:

I have been on the Koufman low acid diet and drinking alkaline water for a year which has been very helpful.  Recently I added 3 mg melatonin two hours before bed to try to get a more complete cure for my LPR.  This is based on real research. The gut produces melatonin and if you don't have enough, the valves are compromised.  You can find the research on pubmed.org

The melatonin has helped quite a bit. I don't take any PPIs and take the H2 blockers only with treats that violate the Koufman diet like the occasional margarita (very acid).

Has anyone else tried melatonin?

Susan

• Posted

I had the same reaction to PPIs. H2 blockers like Rantindone do the same thing too. So if you are taking Rantindone its likey the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.