Acid reflux, ppis, side effects

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have been taken off ppis because I reacted so badly to them fatigue, dizziness, jittery feelings

generally unwell and nearly unable to function. Was on them for about 6 weeks with one two day

break. Now 10 days after stopping and now just taking gaviscon xtra and ranitidine twice a very

small dose each time ( I also seem to react to these) I am still feeling very tired and jittery, has

anyone else felt such awful side effects and ones which have hung around for so long

afte finishing medication. Really frightened now and anxious. Have been to gp surgery thinking I

was going to pass out, awating results of blood test. Think that being very anxious not helping Help and advice needed please,now frightened of all drugs.

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Me too Linda with the PPIs,can't take them either.Gaviscon is full of salt,Gastrogel works better.My docs just plied me with pills that didn't work so I went on the alkaline diet and started drinking Chamomile tea [not tea bags] several times a day,it works wonders.You could try a Natropath instead of a doc if you wanted or look up the alkaline diet online,mainly no meat or dairy or acid fruits or juices.You need bland stuff like almond milk,fish,veges,bananas and melons.
  • Posted

I'm experience this now,I also be dizzy,muscle weakness palputations, ive been to two emergency rooms. And they can find nothing ,they've ran blood test ekg etc. Sooo he looked up side effects of ratinidine and it came up that it had these side effects. He want sure if it was really the PPI but everything else checks out.

• Posted

I know it's been a while since you posted but I was researching side effects of omeprazole and came across this page. In the past few weeks I had been experiencing throat tightness, all the way from the base of my throat by my collarbone up to my ears. It's like a muscle tightness. I realized that these symptoms started a few weeks ago when I started taking omeprazole. I had taken this medicine last year for about a year with no side effects. But this timing was suspect so I stopped the omeprazole. The tightening reduced significantly. I think I am going to stop this med and research alternatives,

• Posted

i get throat and esophagus tightness from all types of ppis. Even i stopped them, i still have some tightness. I think they cause some permanent damages. I can

• Posted

I was just wondering if anybody found a PPI that has less side effects? I'm one of the ones who has had an adverse reaction to them. the shaking feeling, the muscle cramps and especially the chest pain. don't get me wrong my burping is less but it's not worth feeling the way i do to keep from burping you know?! I've been on dexilent and pantropozle and both are awful. i've asked to be switched yet again but i dont think thats the problem cause everything i read say they all act the same. Any ideas? Just a breif bg on me. I got diagnosed w/ gastric mucin cell metaplasia and was put on the dexilant for 8 weeks. after my follow up the doc wanted me to stay on it and that's when they lovely side effects started.....

• Posted

i have the same reaction plus slow gastro motility from ppi and severe dryness from pepcid. Gavescon does not help very much.

How are you managing your acid reflux now ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.