Acid reflux unresolved

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been treated with different PPIs for the last 12-18 months on/off. Had varying symptoms like stomach, chest pain, wheezing. Dry tickle. However I have been getting quite often a sore throat, bit of a dry irritated cough very occasional and that horrible feeling as though my throat feels locked 🤔 It comes on all of a sudden. I can just b sitting down and my throat goes really dry and feel as tho throat restricted. Doc gave me lanzapromole and have only been taking a week. No improvement as such yet. I haven't had any tests to see whether it is reflux. That's why I've been apprehensive in taking the PPIs. I am just so scared that if it is that there maybe damage? How long does it take for these PPIs to actually work and if any damage will they help heal it?

I don't know why but it's not even food related most times. I can go most the day without having anything but a piece of toast and still get the symptoms. I also burp more so. But the sore throat really bothers me and the throat restriction sad had a peak tube to test asthma and that was ok. Can anyone help with advise please 🙀

2 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lisa:

I am not sure you received my reply earlier as I have not seen it posted. However, I would suggest you and your doctor get together and talk about a manometry test to to. check the esophageal muscle and LES and then probably the 24 hr ph test with impedance so you get a diagnosis of acid/non acid-reflux. I believe these tests should confirm a diagnosis and the doctor can recommend a treatment to solve your problem.

• Posted

Hi baron. Thank you for your advice. I have an appointment at the end of the month. In the meantime I am going to try some self help from advice received in this forum to see if it helps as I don't really like taking PPIs. Fingers crossed will start to feel a bit better. If not will discuss further tests smile
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I've been through all of this recentlly, let me share what I have learned.

Firstly, don't eat irregularly like you said, having a single "meal" of just a toast. That's not good as well. What worked best for me after lots of trial and error and doctor consultations, is to have very regular meals, at the right times and amounts. Have your breakfast, have your lunch, have your early dinner. Small meals in between are also fine. Go to bed early before you feel hungry again.

The feel of the throat closing up is quite a scary one, I've had it too and even ran to the hospital thinking I was having a severe asthma attack. Which of course later I found was my throat swelling up as a result of the acid hurting it.

What I have started to do when I have this issue or any other that indicate my throat is getting hurt badly, is to take antiacids. If the reflux is mild I may just sit up and drink a little bit of water to try and push the acid back into the stomach. But if the stomach is too full, then only antiacids will work at stopping acid from continuing to hurt my throat.

• Posted

Thanks Alex.

I can't believe after all this worrying and not knowing what to do, turns out I have mild gastritis! I had an endoscopy last wkd, was petrified but went with sedation and was so relieved. I still have the problem with throat though and dryness of the mouth. Currently got a salivary gland infection now so it may be that? sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.