ACID REFLUX , what to eat

Posted , 6 users are following.

Thanks in advance...

I'm still trying to get a handle of what I can eat.  Instructions from the ER say dairy, low in fat.  Is it safe to ert LIGHT FIT Original GREEK YOGURT WITH CHERRIES?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No, cherries are too acidic. You want to be eating plain yogurt without any added fruit. Bananas are allowed as they are more alkaline so you could mix those with the yogurt. 

Google doctors Jamie Koufman and Dr Jonathan Aviv - both of them are ENTs. They specialize in acid reflux and have diets for relieving acid reflux. You can find lists of allowable foods for both these doctors online without having to purchase their books. 

• Posted

I would avoid all dairy - even yogurt. It's not so much the dairy specifically as it is the fat content. Skim milk is usually OK in moderation, but I've read to stay completely away from Yogurt.

• Posted

Hi Lydia:

I guess I am a rebel because my advice is so different from the other replies.  I did notice that you mentioned going to the ER.  Which means you are having extreme pain and issues.  Acid reflux can have many causes and finding relief is difficult.  Most doctors will immediately put you on acid blocking drugs, or PPi, proton pump inhibitors.  They do in fact bring quick relief. When I started taking a ppi drug I thought my problems were solved.  But, then come the side effects, a feeling like a needle was suck in my stomach, general feeling of unwellness.  Also, they can interfere with the digestion process, even bone loss. 

Anyway, my point is, you have to help your body heal.  Something went wrong and you need to take action.  I do believe in probiotics and yogurt.  When our digestive bacteria gets out of balance, the bad bacteria makes a lot of gas.  That pushes upward into the stomach and while we sleep it forces gas up through the esophageal sphincter.  This starts the damage.  Then during the day we feel the burn.  It can also cause nausea.

Yogurt is naturally lactose free and is eaten all around the world.  Some people live on it when food is scarce.  I would recommend organic plain real greek yogurt.  It is lower in acid.  Then if you want add some real fruit to it.  Blue berries and strawberries are perfect for this.  I also recommend juicing.  You can start with just vegetables and then start adding mild fruit.  These will add nutrition to your diet so your body can heal.  Let me know what you think.  Sometimes it takes a few hours for me to respond. John

• Posted

organic plain FAT FREE  real greek yogurt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.