Acid reflux; Which is the best side to sleep on? Right or Left?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please post your experience on side sleeping.   I would like to hear from professionals also on this subject.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Left. When I was very bad it didn't make much difference but now I am somewhat better I can only sleep on my right with no problems towards morning when m stomach is empty. Try it and see how if it works for yoy
  • Posted

Lucky enough any side ok. Only issue is sometimes get niggling painsfrom where gallbladder was removed then just wriggle around till comfortable. I did buy a acid reflux pillow which I get on with great.
  • Posted

John I wouldalso say left side and being a bit of a miser rather than buying a AR Pillow I have raised my bed head 6" by placing books ( all read by the way ) under the legs.My wife isnt impressed though.

Regards

Ted

• Posted

Thanks for your comment.  If your wife has a problem with the incline you can try this.  I placed blackets under my side of the mattress to create a gradual incline that affects only my side of the bed.  The bedsheets are unaffected.
  • Posted

John

I have read that the left side is better. I have had the NF op done and can no way sleep on my left any more

• Posted

Why can't you sleep on your left side anymore?  What is the NF op.  I could not find it using Google.
    • Posted

Okay I found NF.  It is Nissen fundoplication.  In a fundoplication, the gastric fundus (upper part) of the stomach is wrapped, or plicated, around the lower end of the esophagus and stitched in place, reinforcing the closing function of the lower esophageal sphincter.  I have read about this before.  But, I am waiting for an alternate procedure.  In Oregon, OHSU is testing a procedure using a ring of magnets around the sphincter.  But, the results are not in yet.   I hope you are feeling better now.  John
  • Posted

Hi John

I opted for the Nissen as the NHS weren't offering the magnet beads (or so I was told) and that op costs more than double

There is some good reviews about the Linx surgery and it is not as invasive as what I had. Hindsight is wonderful LOL

• Posted

If you are feeling better, then you made the right choice.  Looking at all the possible side effects makes me reconsider this Linx treatment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.