Acid reflux while on Mirtazapine

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I switched from 40mg Citalopram to 15mg mirtazapine just before Christmas as I was still having bad insomnia and my dr felt that I'd sleep well on it. Within a few days of starting it I began getting really bad acid reflux and waking up in the night choking which then made me scared to go back to sleep. I could feel the acid even during the day as I moved. I spoke to my dr who was adamant that mirtazapine doesn't cause acid reflux but she prescribed a course of omeprezole which did stop it. Since finishing the course its started badly again and my new dr wants me to increase the mirtazapine to 30mg. Has anyone else experienced acid reflux with it? I have a fairly healthy diet but have put on about a stone since starting the mirtazapine so I am overweight which i know is probably contributing to the reflux. I don't feel like myself on the mirtazapine and do wonder if i should come off of it rather than increasing it.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have acid reflux at night. I'm on 15mg Mirtazapine. I feel like I have a lump in my throat and can't swallow pills easily. I've put on weight too. I want to come off them as they make no difference to my anxiety. Think we should talk to the doc?

• Posted

I think so. I'm not really feeling any benefit from it to counteract the impact the side effects are having.

• Posted

I've read a really good post about tapering on this site. She recommends getting anti nausia meds and cutting every fortnight. She did 15 down to 7.5 for two weeks then off. But I've read it should be 10% a month which you can only accurately do with the liquid. The doc said it was easy to come off but she said that about Propranolol and it's taken me nearly 3 months to get off that 1 month weaning off and the rest recovering. I want off this Mirt now, it's not helping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.