Acid Reflux with Small Hiatal Hernia but Doctor not interested in hearing my symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

I developed acid reflux within the last few months. On Friday of last week I had an EGD procedure performed by a GI doctor at my HMO. This doctor is not much of a listener. After the procedure I managed to get in one question. He said I had a small hiatal hernia and I would get a biopsy report within 7 to 10 days. I think he is going to recommend that I manage my symptoms with lifestyle and diet changes. The problem is that my symptoms are severe (nausea about 60% of the time) and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat or do. If he doesn't think surgery is medically necessary what are my options?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi there,

unfortunately as you have only had this for a few months they wont be even disccusing suregry at this point. Alot of people can manage symtoms with lifestyle changes or they may need to loose weight or stop smoking so this option will always be explored first.

there is also people who are manage there symtoms with meds.

I was one of those that managed mine with meds and lifestyle change for 8 years and the 3 years ago my symtoms became horrifc and unbearable. my meds were upped from 15mg dayily to 60mg and I still had awful symtoms. I was on ppis and h2 blockers at the same time. prescribed domperidone to empty my stomach quicker to see if that helped and I tried all meds. I was finally referred for further testing 3 years ago and they found hitaus hernia, Lax Les ( muscle at the bottom of your esophagus that opens and closes when you swallow, mine is open and doesn't work at all ) and 20% of esophagus doesn't work.

Surgery was the only option and I have my operation tomorrow! but this surgey really is a last resort.

I'm 35 and I will probably have to this redone in my 50s, that is if fingers crossed it works.

it took along long time on the NHS for me.

Your other option is private. but again they will want to see lifestyle changes made first as this really could help.

wishing you all the best and I hope you start to feel better soon.

flare ups can last a few months but they should calm down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.