Acid Reflux with Thyroid Problems

Posted , 11 users are following.

Please contact me if you have both of these problems at same time. I have and I know a lot of people who have, it seems to be more than a coincidence.

Sometimes medication for one makes the other worse.

5 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have low thyroid and do suffer some acid reflux plus other issues.
  • Posted

Yes i had both together... Also the results of the problems were mis-diagnosed as heart failure and angina.I do not have either of these and it has become obvious that I don't since stopping Omneprazole.
  • Posted

Hi

i had an endoscopy last week..Barretts oesophagus (biopsy to be confirmed) but received a call from the hospital to go and have my thyroid check out. I hoping this is just something they do routine. I'll let you know what happens.

cheers

S

• Posted

I take thyroid medication and I have an acid problem. I stopped taking the acid medication. I take Zantac when I can't stand it. All meds have a down side. Unless very necessary don't take any!
  • Posted

Things defo get linked. I was prescribed Lanzoprazole for LPR. I take Lisinopril and Benzoflurozide for high BP. Had CHRONIC cough. I have ditched the Lanzoprazole and I avoid over filling my stomach and my problem has nearly VANISHED. Suffered ever since put on BP meds and was morbidly obese. Lose weight, eat less and ditch harmful meds. I am self treating for all sorts and feeling healthier by the day.
  • Posted

Hi Carmel, i have primery hyperparathyroidism (raised blood calcium) and suffer acid indigestion. I read that indigestion is one of the symptoms of it, i try to control it with low fat diet and gaviscon as i dont want ppi's due to all the side effects listed with them. I took omprazole 2 days and got visual disturbance so stopped them. I only take the gaviscon if desperate as it contains calcium. 
  • Posted

Thyroid removed in 2009 ( cancerous ) lpr in 2001 steadily worse now have 175 levothyroxine and lansoprazle it doesn't get better or go away ever regardless of losing weight and herbal and cutting out harmful foods it's ruined my tonsils
  • Posted

I can't say that I suffer from the thyroid problem, but I do wonder if I should be tested again.  I've lost so much weight over the last 10 months.  Thanks, I'll be suggesting this to my primary doctor at my next appointment.
  • Posted

hi, I have been on Thyroid meds since 14 and Blood Pressure medication for about 5 years - have suffered from intense GERD for quite a long time, coincidentally much more in the last 5 years -(so maybe BP meds contribute to the condition too ? ) I ended up going to great lengths to fund and have the LINX Implant op in 2012 as one of the very early patients in the UK - which did settle most of my smptoms and I can say has changed my life. I do however still sometimes get some intense chest / back pain in the night, but only occasionally.

I tried and kept a log of foods and excluded them one by one for a period, including drinks, alkohol spicy foods, chocolate, all the usual suspects etc to see if I could find what was causing the intermittent strong pain. But nothing seemed to be a clear initiator. Then I came across your post, and thought I would try to log the Thyroid and BP medication, times, missed, late -  I had not heard of the connection before.  It does seem to occur clearly when I take my meds late, because I have forgotten in the morning, and deff if I take  them mid / late afternoon without food the pain during the following night in my back is intense.

It was also suggested to me by someone that a small pot of (I buy the W.Watchers ready made) ricepudding as the last food intake at night helps to calm symptoms and for it appears to help me at the moment. So fingers crossed - thanks for your post !  Cj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.