Acillies tendon rebuilt

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good morning everyone, i had my surgery to rebuid my achillies tendon and stretch muscles in my calf, they were going to put a prosthetic achillies in instead but decided in theatre to try and reconstruct. This was done on 9 August and am now on cast number 5 in an array of beautiful colours!!  I go into a boot on thursday and start physio on 12 August then see my wonderful consultant. 

My questions are how long now will it take to get better?  My surgeon did say wouldnt get rid of all the pain only about 80%, 

And  also ny back on the left hand side at the lumbar and kidney region is agony when i get out of my wheelchair to move anywhere! Any ideas why would be great to know as im worried all the meds im on coukd be damaging me. 

I take pregabalin

Longtec 

Oramorph

Fluroxeten.

I also have fibromaragia and degenerative lower lumbar spine.

Any help and comfort would be appreciated x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Wow. You have been through the wringer. I can only comment on the time line and percentage. My physiotherapist advised that I would only get up to 80-90% strength and flexibility back. I had a partial (70%) rupture. My PT advised that most people, if they carry on with exercises, will get back to 80-90%. However she also advised that most people will not notice the difference between that and 100% as the differences are very minute. Getting back to previous state takes a lot of patience. I am week 23 post injury. Each morning my foot is stiff and a bit painful. I stretch before even getting out of bed. I do my first exercise routine of stretch, strength and balance before i get ready for the day.  I try to repeat my exercises 3 times at least per day. I have some pain in my achilles and some pain in my heel (Plantar Fascia). I'm told this will dissipate over time. The discomfort is quite manageable, unless I go for a long walk (over 1 hour).

How long will it take to get better, you ask. Up to a year.

Patience will be your biggest challenge, if you are like me.

And consistency is very important. Once you are given the go-ahead for physio, keep at it.

I am sorry, I cannot advise on your back issue. I was in a wheelchair for the first week, then with my air boot on, was allowed to start weight bearing. This did lead to some back and hip issues as I was uneven with the boot on one foot and a regular shoe on the other.  There are devices you can get to place on your regular shoe that will balance you more, which will take the stress off back and hip.

However, given that you have other medical conditions, I would certainly follow up with your Dr. and follow his/her advice.

Take Care and good luck.

• Posted

Thankyou so much to take the time to reply!  Have anither hospital appt tmrow to review my cast and decide if time for the boot, dreading it tbh! 

Fed up with pain  even with a cast it hurts. I will see what happens tmrow 

Many thanks again and take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.