Acitretin and Hair Loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

A few months ago I took acitretin for lichen planaus.  It made the condition worse but my dermatologist said to keep taking it.  I finally stopped after two months.  My hair began to fall out it the end of the two hasn't stopped now for 3 months.  I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the alopecia cause by a drug reaction.  The drug is a vitamin A derivative.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The prescribed medicine does not create any reaction but consulting a Doctor again with an experienced one would be quite fine. 
    • Posted

I"m not sure what you are saying.  The prescribed medicine does create a reaction and that is well documented in its side effects document.  

• Posted

It's Better to consult with another experienced Doctors, They actually suggest you what going wrong with prescription that you have been taken. Mostly people used Finasteride and Minoxidil for that. Let's hope You will definitely find some better results.  

• Posted

Hi eulala, I don't know what rpsinghethi is going on about. The list of side effects of Acitretin includes 'changes to the hair texture' and 'alopecia' (reversible on withdrawal).  

As you will probably know, Finasteride is mainly used to treat an enlargement of the prostate. It can reverse male pattern baldness but will have no effect on hair loss that is not caused by a genetic sensitivity of the hair follicles to dihydrotestosterone. 

Hope you are doing better? Did your hair loss stop? 

• Posted

Hair loss is found among people who take Acitretin, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old , have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Metformin, and have Psoriasis. This review analyzes which people have Hair loss with Acitretin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 1,185 people who have side effects when taking Acitretin from FDA, and is updated regularly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.