ACL 6 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

My doctor seems to be doing things totally different than all that I read. I was non weight bearing until 4 weeks, 50% weight being for 2 weeks, and as of today I am to transition myself off the crutches. I don’t seem to confident in this and feel like I’m gonna to fall without the crutches. I’m just going to do it slow. Anyone been here?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, at 6 weeks i had no strength in my knee, I then traveled out of town to get PT, I learned excercises from PT, you have to committ to doing it twice a day, 15 reps of 7 excercises, i did religiously. I gained strength and I was to stand without crutches. I was able to talk over 20 steps with one crutch. The key is PT, learn the excercises. Don’t go overboard, I felt like I wasn’t doing that much but much to my surprise I gained strength in my knee. Excercise is key.  PT is your teacher too, important to listen to them. Don’t be afraid to go see a PT, they will not hurt you like the horror stories you hear about. 
    • Posted

Thanks and I also believe therapy is the key. My leg is week from not walking or a month. I’ll get there slowly
  • Posted

Hi Michele,

I have had both knees done. I am 14 weeks post TKR op on my second knee. On both knees I was doing physio the day after operation. Thus is standard protocol in Ireland.

On both occ as ions it did take me more than 6 weeks to get rid of the crutches. I was doing 3 sets of exercises, like lifting leg, straightening leg, foot slides etc typically done lying on the bed or some sitting in a chair. Also seeing my physio once per week. Have a look on YouTube. But definitely see a physio ASAP, challenge your doctor and be careful coming of those crutches after having no strengthening or bending exercise whatsoever. The exercises are absolutely key.

My eperience has been it's about 10-12 weeks to begin get back to normal. And you will have good days and bad days and ups and downs.

Stay engaged, let us know how you're doing and Good Luck?

• Posted

In all of my rehab, I never was allowed to use crutches it was always a walker.

Like you I don't think I would have done well. Also I was never rushed to get off the walker. I was allowed the liberty of moving as I pleased. I would suggest to talk to your therapist and explain your feelings and not let them push you into anything you are uncomfortable with. Its your body, its your recovery. No need of risking a fall at this point in time.

• Posted

Yes, I did the same thing because my tibia bone was cracked and it had to heal before I could put my full weight on it.  Afterwards it was difficult to walk. In fact it has taken several months of PT and just going slowly before I was comfortable walking without an aid. I am 7 months post op. 
    • Posted

Thanks I feel better now. I’m going to walk full weight bearing with the crutches until I can manage with 1. Therapy starts this week coming up so I’m sure that will help too.
  • Posted

Different surgery and surgeon ...

With my TKR I used crutch/stick for around 12 weeks! Patients and professionals are different.

Follow the professional guidance given, but raise any questions and concerns and listen to your own body too. Your physiotherapist can show you how to strengthen your leg really well I am sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.