ACL reconstruction (left knee) day 4

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Recently had an ACL reconstruction using a tendon from my hamstring (25/11) and home the following day with crutches. Never had this injury or op before though very determined to get better.

Im Managing to get up off the bed/sofa but finding stairs to be a nightmare though we haven't got great bannisters and they are one sided rolleyes. Also finding it difficult to use my good leg I can't lift it up think it's out of fear but often drag it when walking and find it difficult when climbing up stairs to lift it to go first etc.

Anyone else had simalar problems or want to share any tips on recovery in general and useful aids?

Thanks in advance

Sarah

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

stay downstairs for a couple of weeks...a fall could set you back....

elevate really high and ice, gel packs from pharmacy like four rectangular ones so two in use while the other two are in the freezer....rest, right now rest and relax because your body is working overtime to heal...while you are icing, do leg lifts with the good leg...the stronger the good leg is, the more stable you will become...not yet on surgery side...recovery is a process, not a sprint...you arw doing well...hugs

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your reply,

Deffinately gonna give the ice packs a go brought some off amazon but be a few days till they arrive. I know I should be more patient I get cabin fever dead easy but your right. Wanted to ask about the leg lifts - just like laying down or any particular way?

Thanks for your advice mate any other good exercise or wait for next week?

Cheers

Sarah

• Posted

for the good leg only...

lay flat, alowly lift leg to ninety degrees and hold, tensing your quad muscles,slowly lower.

laying down, flex your quads, and lift your leg up 7 inches and hold it for 10 seconds, slowly lower.

laying on your side, lift leg up, hold 10 seconds, slowly lower.

laying on stomach, fles leg and raise it up from the hip, hold 10 seconds, slowly lower

• Posted

I will give you four exercises to begin...do each one slowly, really tensing the muscle...try to do ten repetitions each say four times per day... listen to your body, it may say, slow down.

laying flat on your back...flex your quad muscles, now slowly lift your leg up to ninety degrees, hold ten seconds, slowly lower your leg.

Laying on your back, flex your quad muscles, lift your leg until your heel is 7 inches up, hold 10 seconds, slowly lower your leg.

laycon your stomach, flex your leg and lift as high as you can, hold 10 seconds, slowly lower.

Lay on your side, lay the bad knee flat, raise the good leg, hold ten seconds, slowly lower

quality is better than quantity

• Posted

I have a complete tear of my left acl. I have been putting off surgery for 7 years and am now waiting on a referral. Just wondering how your experience has been so far.
    • Posted

Hi Jenna,

I'd say so far my experience hasn't been too bad pain hasn't been a huge issue more stiffness and getting about and don't like everyone doing loads for me but the more I do the exercises my movement seems to be improving slowly. Yesterday and today unfortunately constipation has been painful. But I've found I don't have the best appetite after the op and they prescribed taking laxatives and one of them makes vomit rolleyes so had a bad few days but got something new from the GP so hopefully that improves. All I'd say is if you do go for your op plan ahead as to where your staying to recover is it easy to get round and safe and things you need to make life easier plan ahead.

Hope it goes happy to help

• Posted

Breathe. You are in a marathon, not a sprint.

Stairs are always difficult. Going up, lead with your good leg. Going down, lead with your bad leg. Take your time, arrive alive!

The strengthening exercises for your good leg will help.

High elevation and frozen gel packs will reduce swelling and thereby reduce pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.