ACL Surgery w Hamstring Graft & Meniscus Removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I got knee arthroscopy surgery on May 2ND 2017 from my Orthopedic surgeon to repair my torn ACL with my hamstring graft and the doctor removed part of my meniscus. It had been working well. I didn't have any pain after the surgery so I didn't take any pain medication. I torn both in March 25th and had start eating clean afterwards, did going to gym and did the therapy. All I was doing was trying to find info as much as I can before approaching the surgery date. I am lucky I didn't have any bruising and pain afterwards and walking with 2 crutches since day 1 after surgery. 1st day I walked about 30min x 3 times. 2nd day 45min x 4 times 3rdday 40minx3 times 4thday 1.5hr x 3times. I felt so much better and I can put weight on my left leg. I'm doing the therapy and RICE everytime I rest. It took so much to try to recover. But the swelling seems to stay the same. I measured everyday and it's between 40 cm 42 cm 38 cm. Each is 6 cm over and under the knee. Is that another approaching for reduce the swelling? I'm not a medication type of person. But I'm open to natural healing. All my food is no sodium no preservatives no sugar raw food vegetarian. I was wondering if ice heat ice will help too since it's pass 96hours post surgery. Thank you for all kind of information/help.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When they did my scope doc told me they pump alot of fluid in there . Third scope I had done he pumped the joint apart with fluid to get inside. My knee was like a basket ball for a while til you absorb and get rid of it. All docs do things different nurses told me. Some use ice , some don't. My doc had ice on mine when I woke up from surgery and wanted it kept iced for a week after at home. Sent me home with bags to keep it iced. I would call him and see what he wants you to do. Some say it helps reduce swelling. Some say the cold slows healing.

• Posted

Thank you. My doctor is so simple. He didn't tell me to do anything before the op and after the op he just wrote down the ice and leg lift and bend. All info I was getting was from internet. I tried heat yesterday it was better for 30 min then after that it was swollen and painful. Now seems like I have a blood knot or like muscle knot?

• Posted

My doc was a older guy. He could tell if you didn't do what he told you to do. He was great. Retired last year. The ice didn't bother me at all. So much bandage and numb from the surgery and the swelling I couldn't feel the cold. That third surgery when he told me he pumped fluid in there to jack the joint apart, my knee was huge. It was literally as big as a basketball. I could stand, walk with crutches, lay down. That was it. It didn't bend at all it was so big. Could not sit, unless my leg was propped up.

• Posted

You could try icing just 20 minutes three times a day, and elevate ? Might help!
    • Posted

I had 3 scopes. Each time I woke up in recovery I had a nurse standing next to me. Just standing there. I kinda laughed and asked why. She said some docs want ice. Some don't. Mine wants ice and if he happens to decide to check on me before they send me home and that ice is not on my knee, her goose is cooked. I have had a few surgeries before and after those knee surgeries. Never had a nurse standing guard like that. Lol.

• Posted

Had four knee scopes over the years.  Wore a Cryo-Cuff for 3-7 days on each of them.  Swelling subsides after that time.  Usually no problem.  Never used heat...just ice.
    • Posted

Never used heat either. Think heat helps bacteria and infection grow. Why hospital OR is cold. Cuts down on germs.
    • Posted

Eating very clean and natural is great.  My daughter is a graduate nutritionist plan an ACSM- and ACE-certified personal trainer.  Always ate heathy; in fantastic shape.  Got Stage 3 breast cancer at age 35...almost died.  Diet isn't everything...

Eat well, hydrate a lot, stay strong.  

• Posted

Just a bucket of ice water with a tube that runs into the cuff...one for a knee, one for a shoulder...I have both.  You fill the jug, hold it over your head and let the cold water run into the cuff which is simply a hollow band for the water strapped to your knee with velcro.  

When it gets warm, you put the jug on the ground, reverse the flow and let the water run back into the jug.  Reverse again and hold it over your head for more cold water.  Not that expensive...works pretty well...very portable.  Four knee and two shoulder scopes...great every time.  Back to normal in less than a week.

• Posted

I think I read it somewhere from you then I purchased it couple days ago. 85$ at betterbraces
    • Posted

For the TKR, they sent me home with a giant machine.  Try going to the bathroom with that sucker strapped to your leg!!! 
    • Posted

Thanks. My doctor only sent me home with some papers. Only 1 thing he said. Ice elevate walk as needed with crutches 2 weeks, weight bear as possible, leg straight leg bens. Go to stationary bike if possible. Can drive once out of pain medicine. But I haven't bend my leg as much as I want only 30 40 degrees and I have a little muscle or blood knot? Ever heard Lymphatic Massage? It seems help with swelling. I basically do everything my self. My doctor is super busy but I have to admit he is great on knee arthroscopy. I don't see any holes on my knee. Maybe just about 1 cm smile Thanks smile

• Posted

The 1st phase of a scope is to blow the area up like a balloon so the have room to work. When they repair the meniscus the just trim the jagged tissue so it heals more cleanly as its stitched back together. All the nutrit I'll n is great and probably makes for better cardio,renal conditions. My wife ate a very healthy diet all her life and had guillian- Barrera syndrom, breast cancer and now in the advanced stages of Parkinson's disease so to a certain extent, nutrition can be a little overrated.

As for the "rice" prtocil, it's the best advice going. There is some debates but my physical therapist and both ortho and ortho oncologist absolutely forbid heat.

The big thing, you are barely out of surgery and I suspect you are under the impression you should be sprinting when in reality you are still in the crawling stage. In all of your description I saw one area of rehab missing, and that is the very important "rest" aspect. If you aren't hydrating properly and resting you will pay the price. The body is much smarter than the Dr's and therapists and if you don't include rest you will pay The price. I'm sure the go to guy, Chico will have his usual wisdom to pass on and I'm sure he'll confirm much of this as he's been to, through Hell and back while I've only had 11 surgeries including 5 complete on my left leg.

Do yourself a favor and forget about all the numbers for awhile. Just keep working at it and it will talk into place. Always keeps in mind....this is a process, a marathon not a sprint. Be patient and stick with this group. We've all been through this knee, leg thing and have understand where you are coming from and trying to get to......and will help the best we can.

• Posted

Thank you for the advise. I rested on after surgery and realize I got a blood knot. Somewhere in the arthroscopy site the doctors suggest to move every hour. I move very very carefully with crutches no bearing weight. There's some therapies I should do starting in the beginning. I'm not doing numbers but also putting the progressing all together. I think when the body is injured it doesn't work as "healthy". When I was healthy I ran 8 to 10M a day and eating whatever I want and still gained too much weight and felt grumpy. I think processed food (preservative) and too much of sodium made the body works so hard to digest it. I learnt that eating organic and raw had been helping me couping with the surgery since I didn't have pain after the surgery. And I feel good also right now. I don't know what's going to happen next but I'm paying attention to every details aspect which would help. My only concern now is I have 1 muscle or blood knot under my calf. Doing some lymphatic massage for the swelling. Any other idea ? I have done the PRICER. So looking forward to it. Thanks smile

• Posted

If there is any heat in that are you should probably get to ER. A burning or tightness in the calf or groin might be trading towards a blood clot. Not sure I would be comfortable waiting this one out. Ice and elevate and definitely increase your water intake

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.