Acne and why won't it go away?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been seeing a dermatologist for about a year now but have been dealing with acne every since I was 11 years old. It first started out as little sweat pimples but quickly got worse. When I was 15 I went on the Depo provera shot (Worst choice of my life) and my acne went south quickly. I then decided to see a dermatologist and she classified my acne as being "superficial" with a few cystic pimples as well. My acne is all over my face and has really made me hate being in my own skin. Nothing I have tried has worked. I have done the sulfur wash,tretinion, and she just upped my tretinion and gave me a antibiotic cream as well as recommended tanning. Is there anything else I can do? This has seriously taken a toll on me mentally and I don't know how much more I can take. Thanks in advanced! 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

Sorry to hear that! 

Have you tried maximum strength Retin A?  It's harsh at first, but over a month it may start to begin to improve your skin condition?  

Hope it improves soon, 

Best,

Jonathan

• Posted

Hi, 

Although it may be helpful, I wouldn't recommend tanning, as it could damage your skin in the longterm. 

Have you tried oral antibiotics?  

Thanks - I hope it improves soon, 

Jonathan

• Posted

I understand...  Have you looked at videos  at what others are doing?   My son has been antibiotics and tretinoin for a year and it's still bad..  It's very frustrating for me and of course him too..  I'm tempted to try a skin tea for him..   Just don't know why the dr can't prescribe the right stuff.  

• Posted

My nephew had this problem and tried everything so in the end went on rouccatine. This drug is quite harsh and can cause depression etc. but it certainly worked for him and clear his acne up quickly/  I would go back to your dermatologist and ask for this drug.  x
    • Posted

Yes when I was in college I had to be on it too.  It worked but like you said very harsh.  I needed blood work each month to make sure I wasn't pregnant because is cause birth defects.  My son might have to try eventually but for now he is 13.

• Posted

I used to suffer from extreme acne across my face and chest reducing my confidence to nothing, but someone recommended donkey milk products. Donkey milk has long been renowned for its healing qualities and contains many beneficial fatty acids together with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, D and E, so it may well help your problem. It happens to be a very non allergenic product which is the closest milk to human breast milk, so naturally it shouldn't hurt to try it. That is the only product that seemed to help.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.