Acne inverca

Posted , 5 users are following.

ive recently been diagnosed with hs by a general sugeon,due to what i thought was an absess ,but he sent me home from hospital after he made an incission and drained it without any information or anything just a cert for work with hs written on it,my waiting time in ireland to c a dermatoligist is 8-9 months,only then can i confirm it is hs,that was removed on 11 jan now on 6 marc a new lump has apeared on the other side of my scrotum,no lumps or anything before the age of 42,45 now and dont have a clue what to do

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

seems like a fast diagnosis if you've only had 1 or 2. i would just wait and see if it gets worse. if it is hs it seems to be triggered by food, i recently cured my hs after ten years of not knowing what it was by not eating sugar, and i looked like the really bad pictures that come up when you look it up online

• Posted

thanks for ur advice,diet seems to help from what ive read,my head is wrecked since ive got the news to b honest,

• Posted

Hi

Did you just walk into A&E with a painful access and a surgeon drained it?

If you haven't already done it , go to your GP and he or she can take a swab of the infected area and send it off for testing to see what the infection is.

From NHS

The exact cause of hidradenitis suppurativa is unknown, but it occurs near hair follicles where there are sweat glands, usually around the groin, buttocks, breasts and armpits.

Unquote

You will have to see a dermatologist who will do a biopsy of the area. There are many ways to treat HS in the first stages. ask you GP about those

But in serve cases see this from the NHS

In very severe cases of hidradenitis suppurativa, treatments that suppress the immune system, such as adalimumab (a biological therapy) can be useful.

However, there are risks associated with suppressing the immune system, so they're usually only prescribed by a dermatologist if other treatments don't work.

Infliximab and adalimumab are immunosuppressive treatments that are given by injection at regular intervals either at home or in hospital.

• Posted

didnt go straight to a+e was referred by my gp who said it was an absess,then went out to a consultant who said it had to b lanced,no mention of hs,was called for day procedure then,epidural in back and surgery,from what ive read it was incision and drainage,after told me to take 2 weeks off work to heal,no mention of hs,only when stitches bust 4 days later and i went back out to a+e to c what to do did a surgeon look at it said he cant restich to go home and dress it every other day and i asked for a cert for work and only then did i c hs on cert,i asked would it teturn and he just looked at me aske what age i was a shrugged his shoulders,swabs of absess i dont remember surgeon or consultant taking any,thanks for ur advice by the way,my head is just wrecked since i got the news,just need to c a dermatoligist to confirm it

• Posted

allso surgeon said it was a sexual organ and id need it for sex so he cant take it off but that part of conversation honestly did not register with me till a week after now i havnt a clue what he meant about that

• Posted

what infection would you expect the swab to reveal with HS? my daughter had 3 boils under and on her arms in Nov/Dec and was given a DX OF HS. They were swabbed and came back as Staph Aureus. She took a short course of Anti biotics and went on a pretty strict Auto immune diet. She has had no further problems at all since and I am starting to question the Diagnosis?

• Posted

Let's hope whatever it was it's gone for good. HS does come and go but i've heard of very good results with diet ( no dairy, sugar, eggs, night shades and gluten free etc ) Anything else she did which i left out? Always trying to learn/copy. All the best.

• Posted

*What infection would you expect the swab to reveal with HS? *

I have know Idea as I am not a medical person, Just someone who has lived with a person who has suffered from HS since 2012

By the way they don't use soap to wash the effected area, they use Hibi Scrub

• Posted

If you check out the many post on the Hidradenitis Suppurativa forum you will find out the many ideas on how to treat this condition including surgery.

• Posted

sorry to hear about your challenges. I concur with the advice of researching/learning as much as you can from all the posts here and elsewhere. Knowledge is power. This is not the end of the world, just one of life's challenges. My 23 year old daughter has had a similar condition for years. We've seen many "experts" in the US where we live and UK as she was studying there. She has been given all sorts of antibiotics, steroids injections and finally surgery in the London for an underarm boil. That's after the GP kept giving her the same antibiotics several times even though it wasn't working. Out of desperation we ll that the UK free medicine can give. She was kept in the hospital for 4 days after the surgical drainage. After she was discharged she had to go to the clinic daily for 6 weeks to dress the wound. While going through this another boil appeared under the wound and others have since appeared in the same arm and elsewhere. This is not discourage you, but to tell you that this is a battle and to be vigilant. We've had herbalists tell us not to be so stuck on the diagnostic name. Rather on treatment for what one observes. All the best to you.

P.S. Sorry system wouldn't allow me to make a correction about "Out of desperation we ended up paying a lot of money to a private dermatologist who gave her steroids injection for a hefty fee, but said the UK system only allows for the same antibiotics that's why the GP kept giving it to her even though it wasn't working.

• Posted

Hi Rose

My Wife was offered this treatment at St Marys Hospital in London UK

In very severe cases of hidradenitis suppurativa, treatments that suppress the immune system, such as adalimumab (a biological therapy) can be useful.

Infliximab and adalimumab are immunosuppressive treatments that are given by injection at regular intervals either at home or in hospital.

Look into immunosuppressive's for your Daughter as a younger person can tolerate the drug a lot better than an older person.

I believe the course is given over a period of a year

My wife didn't take up the offer, if you read about the drugs you may find the reason why.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.