Acne/pimples on scalp

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 32 year old male that has had acne since I was an adolescent. From my early teenage years to a couple of month ago I was on and off repeatedly taking medications for acne/pimples for my face such as over the counter remedies and creams, and prescription remedies and creams. Later on a dermatologist put me Minocycline antibiotics which worked great and I used on and off.

It wasn't until in mid-2000s that I developed large, red, pimples on my scalp -- this was alarming since it was something I never had before and didn't know could occur. The Minocycline worked for this as well. Needless to say, none of the other remedies/creams worked. 

As recent as a few months ago a new dermatologist had put me on Minocycline which, of course, worked, but then my condition would come back after I stopped using it. My dermatologist then put me on Cefadroxil which was chosen -- in the event this wouldn't work, she would put me on Accutane, which she felt would be too drastic without trying other solutions first. The Cefadroxil worked for all my acne, both on my face, scalp, etc. 

As a note: Cefadroxil, as well as Minocycline, are to be used only for a short period of time. I was on Minocycline on and off, which may not have been a good idea, but no adverse affects had occured from doing so. And Cefadroxil was to be used only for a few months. 

Many months has gone after I finished the treatment with Cefadroxil and I had no pimples or acne. However, as recently as a few weeks ago I had re-developed the acne/pimples on my scalp again! Only on my scalp, not my face.

I don't know what else to do aside from going back to my dermatologist and begin Accutane. I tend to take hot showers as well as cut my hair very short (i.e. buzzcut) -- I'm not sure if these are the reasons why the condition is coming back. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The issues you describe sound identical to mine. I am currently in my third month of accutane treatment since everything else stopped working this was my last resort. I hope this is a permanent solution, only time will tell.
    • Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your response! How has your Accutane treatment been going so far? Any side effects?

When I went to my dermatologist about my scalp she said it was called "folliculitis" -- was this your diagnosis also?

• Posted

Yes. Accutane is working so far but the real test will be to see if it reoccurs when i'm done with the treatment. Side effects are rough. Extreme dehydration and dry flaky skin and pasty dry lips that feel like you have been in a desert with no water for a month. Nothing helps. Chapstick and moisturizer help a little but only short time. I hope once im done with this it does not come back. We will see.

• Posted

Wow, those side affects do sound a bit scary, but I certainly do hope it all pays off in the end. 

On a side note: What I've been noticing is that if I get the scalp acne breakouts on Saturday, by Monday it starts to go down and dries up. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.