Acne scarring

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am new here and am looking for advice please.  I am 60 and  female.

I had very bad acne as a teenager which has left scaring and deep pits in my skin.  I don't have active acne any more or for a long time thank goodness but the scars really affect my confidence.  I have had 2 dermabrasions in the past on the NHS and I don't know if any other treatment is available or effective.

Can anyone suggest anything else I could try please?  I have looked at laser treatment but it is not available on the NHS and I can't afford to go privately.  

Thank you. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi hypercat,

Have you tried rubbing a natural cream in, like vitamin E or Re-Gen serum?

These are a natural and risk-free way to improve the skin's texture and smooth out any scars or blemishes.

- Mistrys

• Posted

Hi Mistrys thank you for your reply.  No I haven't tried anything like that. It's not so much scars as I can cover those with a good foundation, as deep pits.  Not sure how much effect a natural cream would have?  
    • Posted

yeah, i agree to Mistrys, this one might help.

My sister leave deep pits in her skin, so she starting to applied cream rich in vitamin e, so far works fine on her.

• Posted

Hi Hypercat,

An alternative would be to try 'chemical peels', these effectively do a similar job to the dermabrasion but use chemical enzymes instead. More gentle peels are available from some 'qualified' beauty therapists (look for ITEC) qualified. Or you could try a Dr although the latter would be more costly. 

Importantly check qualifications and the persons experience. If this is not an option for you, you culd try remedial camouflage make-up. You can learn to do this yourself and it is far better than everyday make-up and stays on all day. It takes a little practice to get the shades correct but it's amazing what effects can be achieved. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.