acne scarring

Posted , 15 users are following.

My beautiful daughter is 25 and has had problems with acne for many years. she has had 3 series of treatments with roacutane which have, mainly, been successful. She is however left with scarring which really upsets her. can anyone advise on treatment that REALLY works please? thank you

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My teenage son had terrible acne and found it very upsetting so I did a lot and I mean a lot  of research.  I treated him with red clover (available in health food shops) and within a week his skin was clear, he was so happy and continued to use it until his early 20s when the problem resolved itself, now in his early 30s he says it changed his life in his teenage years.  I have since recommended it to so many people and have had great feedback.  Best of luck to your daughter. 
    • Posted

Thank you so. much for your reply. Did your son have scarring too afer the acne? My daughter has scarring mainly on her temples and some on her cheeks. Im so glad your son was sorted, its such a horrible thing to be affected by. Are you in the UK? thankyou x
    • Posted

Hi there, yes I am in the UK.  My son had some mild scars and they faded, the main thing RC does is stop the acne (at least it did for my son and for many others), it is a safe product and is often used for the menoause as it seems to help balance hormones hormonal imbalance is one of the causes of acne.  BW  
  • Posted

Ok here goes.  I had very severe acne as a teenager which has left me with scars and pits in my skin. 

If the scarring is mild then chemical peels could help her though she may need a few.

Is the scarring is too bad then laser treatment is the way to go,  but it is very expensive.   If you are in the UK it is not available on the NHS unless you can prove you are psychologically damaged by it.  It is quite extreme though as the skin is red raw for a while until it heals.  I was told it would improve the condition of my skin by about 30-40%.   I can't afford it though so that's it.  They also won't treat anyone who smokes coz of the higher risk of infection.

I had 2 dermabrasions (scraping off the top layers of skin) in the past which did help quite a bit but these are not done anymore and have been superseded by laser.

There is a special make up you can buy (expensive but she might be able to get it on prescription in the UK) which will completely cover the scars.  It even covered up mine and the pits.   I found out about it my asking at my surgery. 

Your daughter needs to first of all pay a visit to a dermatologist who will be able to tell her which treatments are available and what would be the best for her.  So make this appointment as a matter of priority. 

• Posted

Oh forgot to mention the foundation doesn't look false or anything and I was really pleased with the results.   I looked like I had good skin.  You put it on sparingly in a way she will be shown and it is then set by another foundation.  This can be left on the skin for several days and you can wash your face as normal and it will stay put.  The only way to get it off is to use a special cream though I was told acqua cream (about £1 in chemists) will do the job very well.  

• Posted

Thankyou. Ive taken her several times to see a dermatologist at the hospital, referred by GP. This has resulted in the acne pretty much clearing apart from the odd outbreak. Its the scarring that is the main issue and Im not sure they will refer her for that?? Can you give me the name of the foundation please? Thankyou for your help 
    • Posted

Sorry I can't remember the name of the make up but googling it might bring it up.  It was a few years ago now.

Your daughter can be referred for scarring to discuss any any options available.  I must admit I did pay privately for mine as it was a lot quicker.  I still saw the same dermatologist though. 

He told me that the only thing he thought would help would be laser.  He seemed confident this would improve my skin by 30-40%.  I can't afford it though so that's that.

He said a chemical peel or nothing else would do the job.  An experts opinion is needed to discuss what might help your daughter and stop her wasting money on useless treatment. 

• Posted

Sorry just thought.  Your daughter needs to ask her doctor for a make up referral.  I assume as it was available in my area it will be in yours.  I had to wait a while but it was very good. 

• Posted

Some of the commonly used home remedies for acne scars include the following:

Tomato Slices: Rubbing tomato slices on scars is also found to be effective in reducing the appearance of the marks or scars. This is partially due to the vitamin A and carotenes in tomatoes, which not only provide the red color, but are also antioxidant compounds that can heal damaged tissues and promote the healthy regrowth of cells.

Cucumber Juice: Cucumber juice is an ideal skin toner, which improves the texture of the skin. Cucumbers reduce inflammation, soothe the skin and heal the scars caused by acne.

Sandalwood Paste: Apply a mixture of sandalwood paste in rosewater and leave it on your face overnight, then wash it off the next morning. Repeat this process until there is a marked improvement in scars. The usefulness of sandalwood in skin care is very well known. It has actually been one of the traditional, essential elements of make-up kits for women in India for many years. Even today, there are several brands that prepare soaps that names sandalwood as one of its key ingredients.

• Posted

Thanks Brian for giong too all of this trouble. I will suggest these to my daughter to try. Anything natural is a big plus.

Thanks again

Carol

• Posted

Hello carolSte , I have read your problem, you can check her to skin care expert.  you can use aloe vera and coconut oil for acne problem. It will benefit to her. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much. Its the scarring left after acne that is the problem. she had sever acne and, by the time she had the correct treatment and it had cleared, she has been left with troublesome scarring to her forehead and temples
  • Posted

Even I had the same problem long ago and now it's completely gone. I have done many treatments but it was not helpful at all. After that, I planned to try some homemade tips to remove it and really worked. I use to apply papaya every then and now. Even you can it out. I hope this helps your daughter. 

• Posted

Chemical peel treatment may help your daughter.
    • Posted

Thank you Mary. Ive wondered about this. have you any experience of it Mary? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.