Acne Scars

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

What is the best treatment for acne scars?

I have a few which dont seem to want to go away (one for 6 months) and looking for advice of what I can do.

Whilst it occurred during an acne onset, i did not irritate the area however eventually rather than disappearing they seem to have remained in a dark colour on my skin.

I have read about different types including laser but not sure it needs to be dealt with at that extreme - maybe something from the pharmacy or doctor?

Has anyone experienced this and overcome it.

I am male of 34.

Thanks.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

dont exeperiment on your skin this could damage your skin
  • Posted

just go for natural treatment...
  • Posted

Tomatoes

Tomatoes contain a lot of anti-oxidant that can repair damaged skin. Try to cut a few small slices of tomato and place on acne scars for 15 minutes.

• Posted

Hello,

It sounds as if you have pigmented changes following the acne outbreak. I doubt if you need anything as strong as laser treatment.

A small selection of off-the-shelf skin care products, such as oils and scar creams, claim to help reduce skin pigment changes that are commonly seen in pigmentation marks. Try them for at least two months to see results before giving up. If they work, they will usually need to be used continuously to maintain improvement. Small trials of some of these products have claimed to show good results.

Some prescription creams that may help include: azelaic acid, hydroquinone and topical retinoids. All these can reduce pigment changes but need to be used regularly for an on-going period. They may have a bleaching effect on other areas of surrounding skin, so ask a pharmacist how to use them correctly before getting started.

see this article for information about treating acne scars and marks:

www.enetmd.com/content/acne-scars-and-marks-prevention-and-treatment

best wishes

• Posted

First things first, remember that scars fade over time and this includes the change in colour you have noticed. It is not uncommon for larger scars to take up to 12 months to fade. So before attempting any drastic action give your skin time to heal. In the meantime you can try over the counter creams such as bio-oil which some people have found helpful. Then after 12 months or so if the scars are still noticeable (and if you are still bothered by them) then you may consider skin peels or laser therapy as the next course of action.

Best Wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.