Acquablation Post Op Excruciating Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

My husband who's 71 had this procedure done 3 1/2 weeks ago. We have not slept a single night since and he has yet to urinate on his own. His surgeon refused to give us pain medication on the basis that it causes constipation, which he already has from the procedure. Only after our GP called him did we get pain meds that did nothing. We went to the ER a few days ago and we were told he has a UTI again. Due to the pain they gave him a shot of Morphine and for the first time in 3 weeks my husband's face showed a release of the pain. The toll this has taken on my husband was not worth it. To hear him moaning in pain from spasms, pain and burning in his penis day and night is heart breaking. We were sold a different bill of goods. Had we know this we would have chosen another procedure. I know there are other men suffering post operatively from this procedure and this information is not out there. Our surgeon says he's doing fine come back in a month. If we complain all he is offered is to put the catheter back until things "calm down". My husband had the catheter for 2 months waiting for a surgical date. I made an appointment with another surgeon who does acquablation and he refused to see us. Told us we need to go back to original surgeon.

If anyone has any suggestions, or information on what to do we would appreciate it

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

I am a little bit confused. Is he urinating on his own or is he wearing a catheter? Hank

• Posted

He is doing self catheterization every 6 hours. He has not urinated on his own yet

• Edited

Make sure that he is doing the catheterization cleanly otherwise he'll introduce bacteria into his system and it's an easy way to get UTI. Hank

• Posted

Hank is correct, make sure he is keeping the self catheterization clean, or he can get UTI, Urinary tract infection. I clean the urethra opening with Providone iodine on a 2"x2" gauze pad. You can buy Providone iodine at most drug stores, including Wal mart.

You are right to seek a second opinion, keep trying. You may just need another Urologist, not necessarily a Aquablation urologist. Another Urologist may be able to see what the problem is using a cystoscope, to look inside.

• Posted

Hi,

I am getting different answers from different urologists. I just turned 69.

As 6 weeks have passed, can you provide an update on your husband's Aquablation?

Thanks

Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.