ACRS injection(new type of PRP injection) to expedite recovery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I underwent a wrist arthroscopy for TFCC tear exactly 4 months back. My recovery was going decent until 3 weeks back, then a small episode and it became inflammed. Ever since its dodgy. While it seems to coming back to shape, the time involved is frustrating too slow.

I asked my doctor(surgeon who operated on me) as to if there are any ways to speed up recovery as I need to able to work on the computer ASAP and then eventually by the end of the year, hopefully get back to Cricket and Tennis too.

My doctor has offered me the following options:

1. PRP - About 10% to 40% efficacy
  2. ACRS(Autologous cytokine-rich serum)Treatment- A new technology, very similar to PRP but slightly different - About 10% to 60% efficacy. In fact, some people call it a new type of PRP, but its different.

As the wrist is a very small joint, only 1 injection is enough and not a series of 3 or 4 injections. He said while the results depend upon person to person, there are virtually no side effects of these treatments and there will be at least a minor benefit of around 10% if not more for everyone.

I understand this is a knee specific group but the basic principles should be the same.

He rejected to offer any kind of stem cell treatment as he said its way advanced a treatment and not required in my case.

Should I consider these options?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello! I'm contemplating PRP for my knee which is still causing pain 4 months after fractured patella (8 pieces). I am a fan because I had it done about 8 years ago for my lower back which was so bad I had trouble walking; it almost immediately felt better, and the effect has lasted! Other family members have had it done on other body parts with similar result. You can see why I am skeptical of your doctor's poor assessment of PRP's success. Stem cell treatment may not be justified due to the expense--`(for my knee $7000+ vs $1500). One of my sons just had stem cell and some other injections for his lower back and it was very expensive. All and all, if your pain justifies the cost I would take advantage of these life-altering therapies. Keep in mind that a lot of doctors who don't provide these treatment are selfishly negative about them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.