AcrySof ® IQ ReSTOR ® +2.5 D IOL with ACTIVEFOCUS

Posted , 10 users are following.

My doctor is recommending that I get the ReSTOR Active Focus as a lens replacement for one of my eyes. Are any of you using the latest version of this lens? Any thoughts, reviews?

0 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jeff

I was wondering if you had done the surgery already and what is your opinion of the RESTOR IOL ?

I am in about the sane situation I am about the same age and my surgeon recommended the same 2.5 IOL because of the smaller halos

My doctor also pushed me away from the Symphony due to the spiderwebs

I think I probably could have put up with the spiderwebs which is a lot better than the starburst from the cataracts but my doctor was saying like "why would you want to fo that ?" One minor concern I had was the drop off in focus between distance and intermediate and he said that the claim by Symphony that the vision is seamless is false Perhaps what he meant to say was that the drop off is not as noticeable because of more rings or the way they are arranged but there is still a drop off

I was wondering if you noticed any drop off with this 2.5 and at what distance ?

• Posted

Although I cannot comment on Restor 2.5 from experience I do have seamless vision - there is no drop off at all between distances and it was that way from the beginning - no learning curve. yes i do see the spider web concentric circles though around certain lights at night )the light source has to be a certain distance away - i dont have that issue inside my home or work movie theatre etc.

• Posted

Perhaps my doctor downplayed the seamless claim by Symphony

maybe because he was more interested in installing the RESTOR 2.5 Also as Derek was saying that it may depend on the person and how close they can get it to the target

I guess it's a matter of compromise Do I want smaller halos or seamless vision

I would say for me the smaller halos is more important

Hopefully I will not be using my vision in the drop off zone and if I do I can always move the object or myself out of that zone but the halos are always there so there is not much that can be done about it so I might as well choose the smaller one

• Posted

wishing you the best. hope all goes very well. i do believe doctors promote what they ate more comfortable with and downplay others but also feel it is more to your advantage to go with their suggestion if they are ones performing surgery. let us know how it turns out. Not as many have gone with Restor on the forums so it would be great to have more comments on these.

sure wish there were visuals where we could compare - make decisions easier but with so many other factors other than lens selection at play don't think it would help - unless they included best case photos as well as worst case ones.

• Posted

Mike, definitely, good luck with your surgery and please post your results with whatever you choose. Give it time too, Some people have amazing results the next day and for others it takes significantly longer. For me, vision got noticeably more stable soon after I stopped all the eye drops (about 6 weeks out).

Finally, remember that your surgeon can perform Lasik or PRK to make minor adjustments. If you find a particular range isn't what you want, they cna probaly adjust your vision to push the best focus "curve" where you want it.

As I've mentioned, my vision does drop to about 20/40 in the 6ft to 10ft distance. However, that is still acceptable for a driving license and it jumps to 20/20 or better with two eyes (the other one with a contact). They are close enough in focus that I don't notice the difference unless I alternate eyes. I'm guessing that if I had a 2nd Restor set exactly like the first that my vision would probably improve a little bit in this region (just from using two eyes). Although, when the time comes I'm still going to consider Symfony or another TBD EDOF design in that eye. Alternatively, I will probably do another Restor but ask for it to be targeted just a little short, maybe 0.5D which should do a nice job helping in that middle region.

My main concern in mixing two lenses if how colors will look as one thing I do love about this lens as that I cannot detect any difference in viewing colors between the two eyes. I was worried about this pre-surgery.

• Posted

Thanks I will definitely keep everyone informed on my progress with this lens

Yes my doctor also mentioned that he can do some minor corrections with Lasik but hopefully it's not needed

I know that you mentioned that your vision drops to 20/40

I was just wondering how do you know it's 20/40 ? Do you have some way of measuring it ?

You also mentioned a range of 4-6 ft earlier when posting to Jeff but now it's 6-10 ft

Has the range changed since them ?Or maybe I misunderstood the explanation ?

I was wondering what type of cataract do you have ?

Sounds like your other eye is not so bad and probably can hold out longer before having the surgery

In my case I was diagnosed with 20/40 in both eyes in Nov of last year and now at the recent preop I had 20/100 in the left eye and 20/60 in the right If all goes well I will try to hold off doing the other eye as long as I can Hopefully I can gather more information about what is the best thing to do with the other eye

• Posted

Your RE cataract progressed quickly! Mine were 20/50 and 20/60 at time of surgeries. In Canada you need 20/40 to drive/maintain driver's lic so I could not really delay. Had a 6 week wait between the surgeries.

Are you have RE done first?

• Posted

Hello Mike:

I definitely fall into the "geek" category. I now have vision charts on the walls in my office meant for 20 ft and 6 ft distances (and I've measured my standing distances pretty accurately). I did estimate my vision at 10 ft based on reading the 20/20 line at 1/2 the intended distance. The 6ft chart is meant to be read at 6 ft and the 20/40 is what I usually consider functional at this distance. Note that my vision does fluctuate a bit based on time of day, lighting, and condition of my eyes (moisture or fatigue).

I probably did mention 4 ft as that is the point where I start noticing my vision improve again (due to the near focal point). I'm sure that there is a way to measure this based on the 6 ft chart I have but I didn't bother to try to estimate.

I had a PCO cataract, which is common for younger patients.

My doctor assumed I'd be in for my left eye before the end of 2018, but I haven't noticed any degradation (yet).

Here is one other tidbit. I have a fair number of floaters. Most are small and not much of an issue but I have one in my left eye which is pretty large and often centers on my vision. Before I had the surgery on my right eye, I had been spending a fair amount of time investigating some of the controversial procedures to deal with problem floaters. However, AFTER I had my IOL implanted in my right eye, my irritation from the left-eye floater dropped substantially to the point where I'm no longer considering doing anything about it. Why? Because once the cataract in my right eye was removed, the combined vision with both eyes was improved enough to the point where the large floater doesn't affect my vision that much anymore (the right eye fills in for the left when the floater is centered on my field of view).

If you are doing this surgery to fix cataracts, I think that you will be happy with the results, unless you have some of the well known side effects, which are due to cataract surgery in general vs the particular IOL (starbursts, dry eyes, and many more). It's just so much better than 20/100 vision. If you do go for this IOL, go in with the mindset that you want excellent distance vision and usable intermediate vision (arm's length), with a willingness to use reading glasses or cell phone magnifying apps periodically and I think you'll be fine with the results.

• Posted

Actually as I mentioned it's my LE that has the 20/100 so that is the one getting the new lens My RE as bad as it is at 20/60 is what barely keeps me going That is also the dominant eye so the LE is just there for peripheral vision Not sure what the limit is in the US but I am sure I would not be able to pass it I am fortunate that I live close to work and mostly local slow speed roads (no highways) so I know the road well Otherwise if I had to go to some new place and look for street signs that would be a problem

• Posted

Hi Derek,

That's interesting I wonder how far is the chart at the DMV

Hopefully it;s more than 10ft

Did you try to investigate what may have been the cause of your PCO ? I am not sure why you say this is common for younger people There has to be a reason for it There has to be something in common Young people should not have cataracts unless there was some steroid use or some kind of radiation or some other trauma to the eye

I also have floaters but from what I have read that is normal

at least the small ones That larger one you mentioned might be more serious Could be part of your retina flaking off Did you tell the doctor about it ?

At this point my mindset is even if I have to wear glasses at any distance us better than cataract

Just out of curiosity Did you try to use pinhole glasses when you had cataracts ? It works amazingly well when the cataracts is not too advanced

• Posted

Hello Mike:

I don't know the DMV's chart distance. I actually had it tested when I renewed my license a few months ago and it was easy to pass so I didn't really pay attention to the distance.

The doctors never came up with anything that they could point to as the cause of my cataracts. I've only had injected steroids a few times in my life for sports related injuries, no pills, creams or drops. They just said it happens sometimes.

They did check out my floater and weren't particular worried about it. I've had it for a long time (at least 7-10 years).

I agree with you completely on the glasses. Getting the cataract removed was such a huge difference. Before surgery, I had to wear contacts (for distance) and reading glasses of various strengths for different purposes (starting at computer distance). Since surgery, no more contacts (in that eye) and just occasional use of glasses for near work. I would have be alright having to wear contacts again too as they never really bothered me much, but still it's better not to have to wear them at all.

I realize that I made a mistake in my previous post. I said I had a PCO cataract. That's not correct, I had a posterior subcapsular cataract. PCO is different and (after he was done) my surgeon told me I'd likely develop this condition within a year after surgery. and need YAG laser treatment. It hasn't happened yet, or if it is starting, I haven;t noticed anything.

• Posted

For DMV was it a chart on the wall? Ours here was a machine you look onto and read off letters. Hard to tell what distance simulated.

I had PSC type cataract. used steriod creams for eczema and on prednisone for brief period years ago. Never really know I guess what brought on cataract.

• Posted

Over here they use a chart at the DMV and I just looked this up so the minimum is 20/40 to get a license so you stand about 10 ft in front of the counter and the chart is another 10 ft behind the counter so that's 20 ft s that should be out of the drop off zone

So hopefully I can pass the test even if just one eye passes the test but who knows maybe if the other eye gets bad enough I may have to do it before renewing the license

• Posted

Hi Derek

Yes I read about the steroid use connection to cataracts although in your case sounds like it came slower Usually the sub-capsular type is faster developing than the other age related types In my case my doctor said that I have "aggressive " cataracts I just did not realize it;s going to be this aggressive

You said you had to wear contacts Did that help as far as the cloudiness was concerned ?Were these regular contacts or some special types ?

I did not think any glasses would help the clear the fogginess

The pinhole glasses I was referring to are dark opaque glasses with small pinholes in them They worked very well when I had 20/40 vision and I still use it occasionally when I look at the computer with a white background otherwise I can't see anything

• Posted

When I renewed my driver's license last year after my right eye was corrected to about 20/25 from cataract surgery, the DMV examiner didn't pass me in the vision test with glasses because my other eye was worse than 20/40. So at least some DMV offices in the USA test each eye separately and want both eyes to be 20/40 or better vision to pass...

• Posted

Mike:

I've worn contacts since my late teens. I was very nearsighted, so I needed them to see beyond 12" or so. They did not improve my vision related to the cataracts but I still needed them to see at distance.

• Posted

So what happened with your license ? Did you have to get the surgery right away for the other eye ? You said you had glasses at the time was that because of cataract or other reasons ?

I am not sure what difference would it make if you had glasses or not as long as you can read the chart at better than 20/40 with each eye Of course it probably has to be just one lens for the bad eye so I am guessing they can't put that on the license

Did they have a chart or did they use a machine to check the eyes ?

I think I could see better than what I was diagnosed because with the machine the white background is lighted which makes the contrast worse With the chart there is no light comping from it only the light from above

• Posted

I understand that you wore contacts I was just wondering if you or anyone else for that mater ever tried pinhole glasses

Even if you don't have the pinhole glasses you or anyone else can try this Make a fist and look through it by making a small hole and see if the vision or the cataract improves

• Posted

Mike:

Unfortunately, I didn't try pinhole glasses when I had the cataract. I've tried them post surgery and they definitely improve my intermediate vision (at the expense of overall light level and a somewhat weird feeling from looking through black plastic).

• Posted

My left eye has astigmatism so I still need glasses for that eye, it will be probably years before it needs cataract surgery since it can correct with glasses to 20/15. But without glasses that eye was worse than 20/40 so failed the DMV 20feet chart reading test, even though my right eye after cataract surgery was able to read OK without glasses. This particular examiner had me read the chart with each eye alone, but I think its supposed to be with both eyes, so seems to depend on the examiner! So I still have "requires corrective lenses" on the new driver's license.

• Posted

Thanks for clarifying So they did not wanted to pass you without wearing any glasses but they did pass you with glasses

You said you were wearing the glasses for astigmatism

I was wondering what would happen if the eye is worse than 20/40 due to cataracts alone which would be my case

I would not be able to read the chart with that eye but who knows maybe th e cataract will get bad enough that I would need surgery

before the license renewal

• Posted

I did not mind wearing them but I would have to wear them over my sunglasses to bring down the light level when driving

One of the side effects is that the depth perception is off a little so I keep a good distance to the car in front of me

One other thing I noticed is when they dilate my pupil the cloudiness goes away Not sure if everyone has the same symptom or just me The only side effect is the blurriness It would have been nice if someone could invent am eye drop that would dilate the eye but not enough to cause blurriness that way I could postpone the surgery a little longer I know I am just wishful thinking

• Posted

Before the cataract surgery on my right eye the vision had gotten bad enough it could not correct to 20/40 distance vision even with glasses (the cataract also made that eye more nearsighted) so I needed the surgery to be done before the DMV test that was a few months afterwards. If I had waited on the cataract surgery much longer I might have failed the driver's license eye test even with glasses!

• Posted

Thanks for the information I guess I could ask the doctor at my one month post op if I will be able to pass the test with just one eye corrected I have about one year before the renewal

• Posted

Hi, Derek,

Now I understand you notice the vision dip at certain distance by closing one-eye and measure it on the wall chart. Do you notice the vision dip in day to day life? You might have the other non-IOL eye to compensate for that distance. Do you think if you have both eyes with Restor 2.5D will you have much noticeable vision dip problem?

• Posted

Hello Dave:

I do not notice the intermediate distance vision dip in my Restor 2.5D eye becuase my other eye has a multifocal contact which gives me pretty much continuous clear vision from distance to abut 24" . The two eyes working together mask any isssues and the Restor eye is still providing enough visual information that I think "both eyes open" is clearer than just the eye with the contact open.

At my desk, I have a pair of reader glasses that are +0.5D and +0.75D. I have removed the left lens so that, if I put them on, only the eye with the Restor is affected. This allows me to do a lot of trial and error in normal daily life. I found that a 0.5D adjustment to my Restor eye would give me better intermediate vision without noticeably compromising distance. I now have daily disposable contact lenses that do exactly this. However, I don't actually wear them often because I find that is pushes my "close" focal point in too far for using the computer (I have three monitors and 24" to 36" is where I need to see).

At this point, I'm not really doing anything. I am pretty sure that if I had a Restor in my other eye with exactly the same focus points that I would notice the loss in clarity much more. This is why I am considering an EDOF lens (like Symfony) when it comes time for that eye OR altering the target on one of the two Restor eyes so that they do give me a wider range of vision.

• Posted

Here is an update on my vision

I got the surgery done today on the left eye

The surgery went very smooth with no problems I am not sure what anesthesia they used but not only I did not feel any pain I don't even remember the surgery A few minuted before that I had the laser procedure and on that one I saw some red lights and than some green lights but when they did the surgery I don't remember seeing any lights or feeling any pain The lens they put in was the Model SA25T0 Power 22.5 D +2.5add

Length 13mm Optic 6mm Aspheric uv absorbing

Not sure what those numbers mean but the cloudiness is gone from that eye and now everything is bright and clear and sharp

It's a little too bright I must say kind of like after they dilate the eye I thought it may go down after the dilation wears off but it has been about 8 hours since the surgery was done and it's still very bright unless they used a longer lasting dilation drops

In case anyone is wondering and I was too until today I do not see any drop in focus I was looking at a letter on the wall from about 20 ft and moved in closer until I was next to it with just the LE open and I did not notice anything going out of focus

• Posted

Congrats Mike- sounds like a went very well. Things are bright because you no longer have a cataract. Cataracts give everything a brownish tint.I had to wear sunglasses for weeks even inside the house due to the brightness.

did you go with a Restor 2.5 lens? Sounds like all is going very well . Pleased for you.

• Posted

Congratulations, Mike. Sounds like you are doing well. I had to keep my bandage on until the next day so you are lucky to be able to see right away. Please update after a few days and then week or two.

• Posted

To continue the evaluation

I see some fuzziness on the peripheral vision on the left side but it's far enough away that it does not bother me

There is also some fuzziness to the right of my nose but that is due to the RE still having the cataracts

I have not been outside at night but I do see one halo around any light in the house and even on the tv there is a halo around it

Hopefully that may diminish if the eye dilation returns to normal

The good news is that I can use the computer normally I don't need the high contrast black anymore to be able to see what is on the screen

I do have some double vision when I look at text on the phone screen but I guess I will need glasses for that but I am not using the phone that much plus I can use the pinhole glasses to minimize that problem

I will follow up with the night time lights outside after the one day post op

• Posted

It takes time for effects of dilation to wear off. Likely you will have a follow up visit within 24 hours with your surgeon. They will test your vision then and again at 6 weeks. That's when I had my follow ups. Things will fluctuate next several weeks. But sounds like all is going well. Just follow the drop regiment as prescribed.

Let us know how things go as time goes by.

• Posted

Yes I have the 2.5 in there I just looked up that Model SA25T0 and that is what is coming up

Did the brightness come down after a week ?

I am wearing my pinhole glasses which kind of balances out the brightness with the cataract in the other eye The big relief was that I can see the computer screen without glasses and without having to use the high contrast black

I think I can manage the rest the only question left is when to do the other eye and what lens to use I have to evaluate this one on a long term to determine that

• Posted

They did not give me any bandage I guess maybe it depends on the surgeon or the type of surgery

• Posted

After the 24 hr I have a 1 week post op and than a one month post op and nothing after that

• Posted

For me the brightness last a while. I have light blue eyes do even now 18 months later I still wear sunglasses even in winter while driving or being outside - no linger need them inside but I recall doing that for several weeks.

So no eye shield was provided? I had a hard plastic eye shield taped to my eye and had to leave it on several hours after surgery and had yo wear it for a week when sleeping. Prevents eye rubbing which could rotate lens out of place. You may want to ask surgeon about that. I tend to rub my eyes without realizing it do was glad I wore it at night. Was also told to avoid getting water in it for a few days.

• Posted

I also didn't remember the actual surgery, the doctor just started and then it was all done!

The retina takes awhile to get used to the much brighter image with the clearer lens and more blue intensity so took a few weeks for me.

The eye was fully dilated until the next day for me, the first day saw halos on almost all lights even in the day, but they mostly were gone after the dilation went down.

• Posted

Yes an eye shield was provided I was just commenting on Derek's post where he mentioned a bandage which I did not have

I just put the shield on at night before going to bed

I am aware enough that I feel I don't need to touch my eye during the day Bending over is a little more difficult to remember to avoid so I have to be more conscious about that

If the surgery would have been closer to spring when the pollen season starts than I probably would need to wear it all day

That's another reason why I cancelled the surgery on the other eye even without rubbing it it would have been an irritant and possibly causing an infection which I try to avoid at all cost

• Posted

I was able to see my pupil at night and it was still dilated so I am sure that was the reason for most of the halos This morning the dilation went down but still seems a little bigger than the other eye but not by much The light intensity is lower now so I can use the computer without the pinhole glasses

I don't see the halo around the tv anymore but this is in the daytime I have to check again at night time to see how it looks

It's just amazing how well I can see even with just one good eye

I can see the dust on my keyboard I can see and read my digital watch at 12" I can even read some magazines although it's not as clear but that's about the same as I could do before the cataract so I would say that's pretty normal for me I would imagine it would be somewhat better with 2 good eyes than just one

• Posted

I didn't have a bandage either - after surgery the shield was taped over the eye. I know what you mean by spring allergies - suffer from that too. Likely those nasal sprays contributed to mt getting early cataracts!

I think it is just a few days you have to watch about bending down or lifting anything heavy that would strain your eyes.

I found my 6 weeks between surgeries (as both eyes needed cataract surgery) allowed the first one to completely heal and was ready to face 2nd surgery. I think the IOL has settled by then too so that any adjustments you want made to 2nd eye can be made without concern that changes are still occurring. I had no complications which I was thankful for.

• Posted

wonderful isn't it. I wore glasses since 12 and that first morning waking up and being able to read time on pvr for first time was awesome. Although always better once 2nd eye done I found that good eye took over even for driving.

• Posted

Mike:

I'm sure you'll notice a slight difference in intensity/brightness due to the cataract in your other eye although if it's already not much of a difference to you, you'll probably cease to even notice it after a few more days.

I'm jealous of all of you without a bandage. That was actually the worst part of the whole surgery process. The bandage itched and irritate my eye like crazy but I really wanted to follow my doctor's instructions so I left it one as he said. I think that for the next eye, I'm going to cheat and just wear the eye shield.

I think that doctors who do this do it for two reasons. They want to eliminate the very tiny risk of damage to the eye the first day. However, I also think that they want to avoid getting a lot of calls from people who are having vision issues due to effects from the surgery that will go away on their own by the next day.

• Posted

YES definitely next time cheat and just wear eye shield. You're likely right that they really don't want anyone calling about symptoms that will wear off after dilation wears off. I recall lights streaking sideways - was very weird but all was good next day.

• Posted

I usually try to go on vacation for 2-3 weeks during that time to avoid most of the heavy stuff It's just the oak pollen which is very heavy at certain time My car is covered in a green dust

So I was at the one day post op and they told me that I have 20/30 vision in the left eye which is pretty good for one day post op and 20/40 with both so the right eye is interfering somewhat

They also said that I don't have any infection and no swelling

I read that some people feel some pain like sand in the eye but I don't even feel that Perhaps the eye drops helps with that

• Posted

Good results and likely will improve. Found the drops often make vision a bit blurry till that is over with. That feeling of sand I think comes from incision. I felt it after first surgery but not after second. Have you had a chance to walk outside to see what lights look like at night?

• Posted

Mike,

Thanks for the encouraging reports. I went for a pre-op testing today and picked Restor 2.5D Toric for the dominate eye implant. However, the discussion with the doctor had some interesting new information for me.

1. The doctor had Restor 3.0D for both eyes in mind for recommendation. He said 3.0D is perfect for distance and near (~1 ft) but not so good at intermediate distance (~2 ft). That's why he said his patients with 3.0D just lean forward from 2ft to 1ft in front of monitor. No big deal, but I can be sure no reading glasses needed.
      2. I asked about the 4-6ft vision drop for Restor 2.5D. He said never heard of it. The only vision drop is Restor 3.0D at 2ft, and 2.5D at 1ft. How much drop in 2.5D at 1ft? Sounds like 'casual' reading is OK, but not prolong reading for books and newspapers. For cell phone reading, might need to enlarge the fonts.
      3. Comparing distance viewing between 2.5 vs 3.0 w or w/o toric - He said no difference. I definitely got the impression that 2.5 is better than 3.0 from reading Alcon website because it says 2.5 is good for live sports and 3.0 is good for watching TV. I guess the doctor is based on his patient's feedbacks. No one really complained abut distance viewing because they are both reasonably good.
      4. Night driving - I asked if 3.0 is worse than 2.5. He said equally bad but most people will get used to it.
      5. Final decision - What's my life style? I don't read much printed on papers anymore, and my monitor distance is right around 2ft. The doctor and I agreed on the 2.5D.
      6. For the non-dominate eye (1 month Op after the first one), he strongly recommends the same IOL because he doesn't like Monovision. I'll see how the first one turns out then decide if I should argue with him.
      7. What scared me - he said viewing the dashboard with 2.5D will be as 'good' as wearing my distance glasses right now. I said that's totally blurry for me and he was surprised. I hope this is not true because Alcon website specifically says 2.5D is great for dashboard viewing and it's 2ft away. He also said his 3.0D patients never complained about dashboard viewing. I think he was trying to say the 3.0D patients should complain because the dashboard is 2ft away but they didn't.
      8. My observations (right or wrong) - Restor 2.5D is equivalent to Symfony performance wise, no degradation from intermediate distance and on. Restor 3.0D is the one that will have the intermediate distance degradation but great near reading. There are several reports on the web say 2.5/3.0 combo has the best patient's satisfaction rate but don't trust what you read on the web.
    • Posted

Hi Dave67378 - if Restor 2.50 is as good as Symfony you should be able to see dashboard without issue. I have Symfony in both eyes and see the dashboard just fine. Even at night - no issues with halos around the lights inside the car or in my home. Concentric circles inly appear when lights (and it is not every type of light) are a certain distance away. And your doc is right that most people get used to it. This may be a personality thing although can't say for sure. I know I found them bothersome in the first 6 months.

I also read just fine with Symfony - don't need glasses unless lighting is dim. I don't know whether Restor would be same or not when it comes to seeing well in dimly lit rooms.

When is your surgery?

• Posted

Perhaps that was because they used the laser to make the incision which is smaller in any case no pain whatsoever

I did not get a chance to go out at night yet but that halo I mentioned on the day of the surgery that was due to the dilation

I don't see any halos anymore around lights or tv inside the house

• Posted

Just from my own experience with the 2.5D he is correct about #2

I don't see any drop off at any distance and it's also good for casual reading

Also correct about #5 it depends on your life style Most people don't spend much time in the near zone unless you are reading all day or do close up work

#6 I am not sure it makes a difference which is the dominant eye

The dominant eye is the one that the brain chooses to see the best with

In my case the dominant eye was the right eye which was the one with the less dens cataract but now that I did the surgery the left eye is the dominant one since I see much better with it

For #7 maybe he just assumed that your glasses are good for intermediate too but from my experience I was in the car with the driver that drove me home and I saw the dash clearly I could even see my smartphone after the surgery the only issue was that due to dilation the text was double vision Now it's a lot better but not quite perfect probably due to the drops and that is holding it at about 1ft If I extend the arm to about 2 ft it's even better

I also agree with #8

• Posted

Hi, folks,

I have a different issue. The doctor gave me 3 eye drop prescriptions for post-op. They are Besivance 0.6%, Ilevro 0.3% and Durezol 0.05%, and their prices are $123, $208, and $130 for my co-pay. Are these prices sound right to you?

• Posted

Dave:

1 and 2. If you read through the detailed testing, you'll find the de-focus curves for the Restor 2.5D, 3.0D, and Symfony. Some people naturally have better "depth of field" or whatever the proper OD term is for it (and it also changes in the same person based on pupil dilation). For example, some people might notice no difference in vision over a total 1.5D range while others will noticed at 0.5D. This is also why some people can read with monofocal IOL's set for distance but most cannot.

There is most definitely a "dip" in both Restor designs between their distance and close focus points (and it's especially evident compared with Symfony). It will be more pronounced and noticeable with the 3.0 vs the 2.5. They are optimized differently and which you prefer is a lifestyle choice. My surgeon said it's a common comments some patients make and it's one reason he will often do mini-monovision, targeting one of the Restor lenses closer than plano (to help in the range I am mentioning).

1. One of the main reasons that the Restor 2.5D even exists is to reduce night issues compared to their earlier designs. A higher percentage of total light is directed towards the distance focus point under lower light conditions and because the ADD is less, halos will be smaller. There are tests using optical equipment that show these differences.

5 and 6. I think doing the 2.5D first is a good choice. If you want closer vision and the halos don't bother you at all, you can do a 3.0 in the other eye (this is very common) which will improve your near vision at the expense of large halos at night. Waiting longer between the surgeries may be a good idea too (although surgeons usually like to schedule them pretty close together).

1. Dashboard viewing may depend on your car. It varies for me, car to car that we have. Under any case, it is much better than what I see in my left eye (no surgery yet) with a contact set for distance. However, in 2 of my 3 cars, it's not perfect. If I have my cell phone attached to the dash and am using Google Nav, I cannot read the smallest street names. Granted, they are small, but I can easily read them with my left eye + multifocal contact. I can read the speed, tach, and other gauges which are large fonts. As above, everyone is different in terms of how wide of a depth of field you can see.
    • Posted

I have the first and third and have Bromsite for the second one

I paid $75 for each so it seems a little high but it may depend on the insurance company I looked them up online and they are in the $180-$200 range At least it's just for short term use

• Posted

So I had my one week follow up today and also my first day back to work and the first experience with halos

It was at dawn so there were cars with the headlights on

I do see the halos around all LED lights but it's smaller than I imagined or that I expected It's usually just one bright ring around the headlights and it's bigger in the distance and gets smaller as the light gets closer and it disappears when I am almost next to it

It also depends on the brightness and the angle of the light

I also see it in the daylight in bright sunshine when the sun shines on a windshield or a chrome piece and it comes to a single point

I can tone down the intensity with the sunglasses so I think I can get used to it

If I use my pinhole glasses I can almost eliminate the halos in the daytime

At work with all the overhead fluorescent lights I don't see any halos only if someone has an LED light at their bench

The evaluation went well I was told I have 20/20 in my left eye and 20/70 in the bad one which seems like it got worse but I am not sure how accurate that measurement is but I will keep that in mind as a reference point

So overall I am happy with this lens and will probably go with the same one in the other eye when I am ready for it

Sure it would have been better without the halos and ideally I would have chosen the Crystalens if it did not have the potential problems but not having cataracts and not needing glasses for the near work I am doing that is PRICELESS to me

• Posted

Sounds like you are pleased with the results and near vision is where you want it to be. The halos are the compromise we make for gaining better range of focus. The glare from inside lights hopefully improve with time. I had a bot of shimmer when light hit the side of one of my eyes but that went away.

With just a week since surgery you will see small changes for next 6 weeks as healing takes place. A lot find vision isn't the best till drops are over and done with.

• Posted

Yes I am very pleased with the results and I hope you are right about further improvement in time

I have another follow up in one month right about the time I stop the drops so I will share the results if there is any improvement

• Posted

Folks, I just had Restor 2.5 Toric implanted in my right eye yesterday. As a summary result, the distance view is perfect but the reading view is not what I expected. I've seen the doctor this morning for a follow up. I told him that I should have listened to him to do the 3.0 for better reading. He said that doesn't matter - with one-eye 3.0 still won't give me enough reading power. He said once I have bilateral 2.5 in both eyes, the reading will be better. I really have a hard time in believing him. I can kind of read the phone and PC right now with both eyes because my untreated left eye is -0.10 nearsighted. I can only imagine with the left eye corrected with anther 2.5, it will totally turn me 'blind' with near vision. Has anyone heard of bilateral will be better than monovision?

• Posted

Hi DAVE

I got better reading distance after 2nd implant but mine were Symfony lenses. However I got decent reading after 1st eye was operated on - about 18 inches. after 2nd eye healed I read comfortably at 11 inches. Arm is bend 90 degrees reading iPhone.

have you thought about havibg a different lens in other eye to complement the Restor?

• Posted

Dave:

I also have a 2.5D Restor in one eye with a multifocal contact in the other eye (it has a cataract too but hasn't progressed as far yet). If you just had surgery yesterday, please give this some time before you decide whether it's working well or not (for you). My vision definitely fluctuated a lot during the first few weeks and I didn't feel that I achieved perfect vision until after all the eyedrops stopped (about 6 weeks post surgery).

Definitely, having 2 eyes focusing at the same or close ranges will help. My reading is absolutely, 100% best with both eyes working together. However, I can read very well within the focus range of this IOL, which for me probably starts around 18" to 20" away. Try looking at some small text and moving it in and out from your eyes and see if and where it comes into focus. It might take your brain some time to gain this inner focus point too. Make sure that you have adequate lighting or are looking at a phone/computer. Vision in dim light is not that great.

For me, I describe my vision as very clear letters but with an overall haze around them. This varies considerably depending on text and background color. I interpre this as the out of focus distance image superimposed upon the in-focus near vision.

You should expect function intermediate, but not close vision. With two eyes it will be better but it will not be as perfect as your vision when you were younger. I rarely use reading glasses but find that I do still need them periodically, especially if I am doing close work.

Please update us on your progress over the next few weeks and months. This will be interesting for future people to read who are considering this IOL.

-derek

• Posted

I can't speak for the toric version but with the regular Restor 2.5 I was able to see clearly pretty much everything The phone with the small font had a double vision on the day of the surgery but that got better after a few days so I agree with Derek to give it a few days to stabilize and see how it looks after that The PC was fine on the first day as it's a little more than an arms length away

Also try to look with the right eye only so you don't get any interference from the left when you are making the evaluation

• Posted

I just got back from my 5-day follow up exam after cataract surgery. The near vision has been greatly improved. I can see perfectly from my 2ft away 27" monitor, and I can read my phone and my watch with some struggling. My operated Right eye vision is equal or better than my untreated near-sighted (-1.00) left eye. The doctor told me to stop Besivance after next Monday because it gives me dry eye. Without dryness, my near vision should improve better. After the 2nd eye surgery with another Restor 2.5 next month, the near vision will be further improved.

My distance vision is now 20/25, which is pretty good in my standard. The doctor kind of agrees that I should be happy with that. My intermediate distance (1.5 - 2 ft) is 20/20. I don't know my near distance number but the line I can read has '13' on the right on the reading eye chart. Does anyone know what it's equivalent to?

PS- I started seeing Spider Web since the 3rd night. Before then when my near vision was bad, I was seeing star burst just like before the surgery. They don't bother me but my doctor wouldn't commit they will go away either.

• Posted

To me it's more like circles or one bright one and maybe a few fainter ones further out It depends on the intensity of the LED headlights I also see them in the daylight when the sun reflects on shiny objects They are pretty much normal for the multifocal lens but that is the trade off for having nearly perfect vision at all distances which I really enjoy

I am experimenting with different glasses and so far the pinhole glasses is the best at eliminating the circles leaving just a sparkle like ray

It's interesting what you are saying about Besivance About once a week I woke up in the middle of the night and it felt like the one with the drop was hard to open fully I had to blink a few times and after a few seconds it was fine I suspected it was because of dryness but I wasn't sure because it was not happening every night

• Posted

Dave:

Those are really good results at only +5 days. It will likely continue to improve and stabilize but it really sounds like you have a great results. Congratulations.

I don't know for sure in your case, but some eye charts have lines going 20/20, 20/15, 20/13, 20/10 so you could be seeing the 20/13 line but these are only valid at a specific distance from the chart.

• Posted

Mike:

Good point about seeing your halos during the day. I do as well, like when sun reflects off a car ahead of me and a few other situations but they are pretty rare. I actually think that these halos are a bit more noticeable than the ones at night.

Do you find the night ones large relative to the source of light? That was one thing I was happy about. I did see halos and they are still there but I don't feel I've lost anything in terms of night driving safety because the halos just don't extend out that far (beyond a car if talking about headlights).

I will say that I was always aware of them at first but now at 14 months post surgery, I notice them if I think about them but if I'm driving for several hours at night, I really don't even notice them anymore. I prefer to think that bright point sources of light just look a little different than they used (rather than it's a defect) and it's become normal for me so no big deal.

Do you have any issues looking at stars or the moon? I was worried about that, but it turns out that I can't detect any halos when looking at stars or the moon, so that was a nice thing for me.

• Posted

Same for me Derek with Symfony - no halos around stars and moon. Likely distance places into that. The moon on occasion has a glow around it but from what I read and others around me that see that too around the moon - it is normal.

Symfony's halos (concentric circles) do extend beyond the car. Thankfully I don't see them when traveling behind a car st night but they do pop up when that driver applies their brakes. Red traffic lights too in the distance and circles get smaller and smaller till they disappear when I am stopped at the light. Same here after 18 months I kind of view them as new normal - not as shocking as they were in beginning.

I never see any halos during day though.

Mike - congrats sounds like you have excellent results.

• Posted

It depends on what you mean by large relative to source of light

To me it depends on the distance to the source of light

When the car is far away maybe 1/4 or 1/2 mile than the car is small relative to the circle so it appears that the circle extends beyond the car but as the car gets closer the circle stays about the same so it's smaller relative to the car

I definitely don't have any safety concerns about night driving

While I can't say I don't notice them I can say that I consider them as normal so the circles don't bother me It's more about the brightness than the circles so I try to wear as dark a sunglass as possible in the daytime and perhaps a lighter one at night than whatever circles I see are just low intensity artifacts that I consider normal for my vision

I can also wear my pinhole glasses if I want to stop looking at circles

I haven't had a chance to look at the moon or the stars but I suspect that there will be no circles because the light is not so intense It's more diffused like a regular incandescent light so I don't see any circles around them

Now if the moon was a mirror that would reflect the sun I am sure I would see a circle

• Posted

I just wanted to follow up with the one month post op

The LE is 20/20- and the RE is 20/70 so it's pretty much the same as after one week so no better no worse which is fine with me

This was at the ophthalmologist who recommended the surgeon

so we were talking and I told him about the story with the Crystalens and the Symphony and he said that I should be an expert since I know more about this than he does

I also asked him about the drivers license eye test and he said it should be no problem

I am glad I did not do the right eye yet because I am rubbing it quite hard because of the itching from the pollen

Fortunately my left eye is not itching yet but I try to protect it as much as I can by closing it when I go from the house out to the car and back and squint the right eye

That was one of the main reasons why I cancelled the surgery on the right eye which would have been tomorrow

I am not sure I could have resisted not rubbing my eye

• Posted

I did my second eye surgery 10 days ago with restor 2.5. The result is good that I can write to you folks using cell phone. However, my left (2nd) eye distance vision is not as good as my right eye. The near vision of the left eye is better than the right. It turns out that I got mono vision as what I wanted in the first place, which my doctor opposed strongly. His explanation is my right prescription is 18D, and left is 17.5D, hence the difference. My glasses prescription was -1.5 for right, and -1.0 for left, so I guess it made sense to give me a weaker prescription for the left.

My overall distance vision is Right 20/25, Left 20/32, with Both eyes almost 20/20 - some mistakes. Near vision I can see the smallest 0.75M on the Jaeger chart at 14 inches with a flash light and with both eyes. I'm reasonably happy except the big medical bills.

• Posted

Sounds like you have good results

I am not sure I understand You are saying that you still need prescription glasses for near or far or am I misunderstanding

Do you see any difference in artifacts like rings around lights comparing one eye to the other or are they pretty much the same ?

• Posted

Mike, sorry for the confusion. I meant those were the prescriptions I had before the surgery. The left was better than the right so less power for the left IOL.

The spider web during night driving looks the same for both eyes. With both eyes open, it looks the same as before the second eye surgery. Not getting worse.

• Posted

So I was at the doctor to for a review and follow up to schedule my right eye for surgery and he told me about a new IOL that he is recommending It's called the Panoptix Anyone ever heard of it ?

I was watching a YouTube video of a guy talking about it and he was saying he had the surgery done in Mexico and that it was approved and in use for a while now in Europe Canada and Mexico but not in the US The video was about 6 months old but I heard from another video that it was approved in the US in Sep 2019 so it's quite recently This is a trifocal and the doctor was saying that it will make the near vision even better although I don't have any problem with near vision with the Restor 2.5 in the left eye

The night vision will be about the same with the rings so no difference there

One odd thing I noticed was that because they dilated the left eye with the IOL when I was going home at night the ring from the lights was huge It's just one ring but it's about 10-15 ft in diameter from the street light Normally it's just a few small rings tight around the light

So I guess I will be one of the Guinea pigs for this new IOL

I will post here after the surgery

• Posted

Mike:

There are already some threads on here about Panoptix and it sounds like a promising option. I went to my surgeon last week to schedule a Lasik touch-up on the eye with the Restor 2.5D and also check the progress of the cataract in my second eye.

During my visit, I asked him about the Panoptix IOL and he said that he had already changed to it in place of Restor 2.5D for all his surgeries. He didn't think it was as revolutionary as some of the literature, but he had been following the research and discussing the results with his European colleagues and he said that his patients have all been happy with it so far. If eye #2 needed the surgery now, I would choose Panoptix, but I'd also probably rather wait until my surgeon had ~50 surgeries under his/her belt.

• Posted

So I had the surgery done on the right eye today after doing the left eye 8 months ago

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I got the Panoptix Not sure if the Dr changed his mind or was not available at the time but on the card I got it says Restor and it's the same model as the left eye except for the power this one says 23.0 +2.5 add while the left one said 22.5 +2.5 add

In any case the result is just as good as the left one so that's a good thing

Not sure why but this time I was awake during the surgery unlike the last time I did not remember anything Maybe they used less anesthetic who knows but I saw the 3 white dots as he was working on my eye but still no pain during or after the surgery

I am going tomorrow for the one day post op to see how my vision is but I expect it to be near as good as the left one

• Posted

That's good to hear, Mike. I hope all goes well with your recovery. I have YAG coming up this Thursday myself.

• Posted

Mike, great news. Tell us more about Panoptix when you feel better.

I have a new issue in my situation - floaters in my right eye. They were there before the surgery so I can't blame the doctor. Now they are more noticeable and giving me a headache when I look at computer screen with white background for a long time. The doctor said it's not worth it to correct it with surgery because it's not an easy one and long recovery. it's better to get used to it in my head.

one good news is that I noticed the night vision has improved. I don't see to much spider web anymore after 6 months of surgery.

• Posted

best wishes for the yag - hope it works out well. that procedure likely in my near future. would love your thoughts and updates on it.

• Posted

I will indeed. The Dr considers it to be a very minor procedure so I'm hoping he's right.

• Posted

As I mentioned above I did not get the Panoptix so I can't comment on it but it doesn't matter because the Restor is just as good

I just got back from the one day post op exam with good results

I got 20/25 vision in the right eye compared to 20/200 before the surgery so that eye was pretty much blind and useless So the left eye was doing most of the work with the right eye just helping with peripheral vision

The doctor said she doesn't see any inflammation and everything is normal no pain and no irritation Just a little stinging from the eye drops after the surgery but even that is a lot less today

Looking at the headlights I can't say I notice any rings with the right eye like I do with the left eye. I have to see how it looks with the sunlight reflection to see if the rings are really not there

• Posted

i am hoping it is not an involved procedure and no adverse side affects. Will look forward to your update.

• Posted

I just wanted to follow up with my report for the Restor 2.5 and 3.0

So this past Saturday I had my one month post op and everything went well I have 20/20 vision in both eyes and I am not using any reading glasses

The rings are still there around LED lights and sunlight reflection but I consider them normal so it doesn't bother me

Supposedly the 3.0 should be better for distance but the difference must be so small that I can't even tell if there is any difference

So it was somewhat expensive but it was worth every penny

Just thinking back if this surgery was not available I would probably had to quit my job and go on disability and pretty much stay in the house and do nothing except use my ears

The doctor said there is a 5% chance of PCO after about a year but if that happens that can be easily fixed but hopefully that won't be necessary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.