Acsending cholangitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

i need help to understand this condition

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise

Think this condition is more to do with gallstones than liver. As I understand it, cholangitis is inflammation of the common bile duct due to gallstones blocking the duct and causing infection.. I was admitted to hospital in October 2016 with acute cholangitis and jaundice. I was told I was in danger of septic shock and I had passed out at home. I'd had gallstones symptoms since July, but was originally misdiagnosed as having kidney stones. After a particularly bad attack in September I had an ultrasound and was diagnosed then with gallstones. A week later I ended up in hospital. 

My symptoms were: severe right sided pain just behind ribs, right sided shoulder blade pain, centrally- a feeling of fullness that felt as if my stomach was about to burst, nausea (some people are sick), pelvic cramping and diarrhoea (yellow stools) after eating, generally feeling very unwell with shaking and sweating. Before the attacks even started I'd had night sweats, extreme tiredness and lack of appetite.

With jaundice, you get yellowing of skin and whites of eyes, pale stools and dark urine and intense itching on the skin. 

If you have any of these symptoms, you probably have a gallbladder issue, although there is a close relationship with the liver: the liver produces bile, which is stored in the gallbladder and when you eat, the gallbladder ejects bile into the duct to help digest fats. Fatty foods are a trigger for painful attacks. A low fat diet improves the symptoms, but usually patients need surgery.

I hope this is helpful.

• Posted

Hi sick of waiting, I had my gallbladder removed in 1979 at the age of 27. There were huge problems resulting in major surgery to repair the tube that the gallbladder was attached, this was done by using part of my bowel. Now 38 years on the tube is blocked resulting in the bile going back into the liver causing stones and debris in the liver, I have had CT scan, and MRI scan in the last week. The diagnosis is the this tube now needs to be removed and a new one attached, because the tube has shrunk so much it is very high up in the liver, a very complex surgery as the first repair 38 years ago was a case of open up and do something or else I would have died. So now I am back in the same situation, only 38 years older. My symptoms were jaundice nearly white stools and thick tar like urine. And severe pain in upper side of body. Now I have a complete diagnosis I am awaiting a Senior surgeon to carry out the operation as my consultant said that it is to complex for a junior doctor to do. To say I am concerned is an understatement especially when a junior doctor said that I was old and my life expectancy was ten years!!!!!  Still got to keep smiling upwards and onwards 🏥🏥🏥

• Posted

Hi again

Sorry. Didn't realise what your issues were.

I had open cholecystectomy in February due to stones in my common bile duct. They had to slit the duct to remove around 60 stones, then stitch it back up. After they removed the gallbladder, they found cancer, so five weeks later I had more open surgery for a liver resection. I'm 67. I was only in hospital for a week each time. For liver resection, I spent four days on HDU. 

I felt rough for about a month after I was discharged, but 6

months on I'm feeling well. 

Junior doctor needs his knuckles rapped! Where nurses are trained to have empathy, doctors certainly aren't. He obviously doesn't have any manners apart from anything else. I'd officially complain about him if I were you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.