active 55 year old woman shattered ankle in 3 places

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was visiting arizona and took a hike and was having such a nice day and on the way down I rolled my ankle and landed on it. and completely shattered it in 3 places. I had to be rescued by helicopter. My sugeon said he can't guarantee anything because it was so severe- including that I will walk. Is that possible with modern medicine? I am 2 weeks out of surgery with all kinds of plates rods and screws. Very depressed. In tremendous pain. Scared. I want to try to stay positive. I want to b grateful. It can always be worse. I feel so alone- and helpless- I was hoping to provide and receive support from someone who gets it. Started meditation for first time ever... Tried to remind myself it could have been worse - could have had Brian injury. I'm lucky I can afford to pay for some help bathing and grocery shopping etc. if there is anyone who wants to mutually support each other I'd like that.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Marge,

I hope you find this site as informative and supportive as I have. I broke both heels about 2 years ago on vacation in Rome. I had various procedures done, wore casts and boots off and on until this Dec 13. I had surgery to re-break the heel, straighten it, and repair tendons that blew. I am now 6 weeks post surgery. I have at least 6 more weeks in boot. I have just started to put my foot to the floor and will gradually work up to full weight in couple months, hopefully. It may be up to a year before I walk as well as I use too..so I have been warned. I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into when I agreed to surgery. But, thankfully I found this site, spoke to others that had gone thru this, and found MUCH support. I had some help the first couple of weeks at home. But, it is never enough!!!  Luckily, I have a shower I can wheel myself into. I learned to do all kinds of tricks to get around. I use a wheelchair and now can stand with a walker. I can drive now to do a few errands (going thru drive thru) or even the grocery. I am an active late 50's guy with wonderful neighbors and friends that brought me food in the beguinning. The pain got much better soon after surgery and is non-existant now except when I do exercises or leave my foot down too long. Depression is going to be a part of the healing process so figure ways to deal with it. You will get better and will walk. You might not run a race, but you are right...We all have so much to be thankful for.

Ike

• Posted

Ike thank you so much for your reply- wow it sounds like have been through it!! Both heels!! Ooy!!! On vacation out of the country!!

sometimes life is cruel! Omg!! Sometimes the whole pathetic tragedy of it is somewhat comical - or perhaps will be down the road- such as when I dropped my phone in the toilet and had no way to communicate with the outside world- I was feeling like it's enough already. Please just put me out of my misery already!!

Ike it good to have this site- to feel not alone- to see that there is hope. Thank you for sharing yours with me.

I imagine it is painful but good to b able to finally do a little bit of weight bearing for you after so long. 

Keep up the work to recover!

• Posted

Hi marge my injury want as extensive but I slipped and fell on ice in the snow broke my ankle in 2 places which required 4hr surgery where plates & screws need to be put into place along with repairing the ligaments and tendons the pain is excruciating I feel as tho it was better before surgery because they numbed the leg and placed it into a cast until they were ready for surgery.. this was in 1/7/2017 surgery was 1/10/17 I had my cast & sutures removed 2/2 which was theeeee worst the sutures being removed were excruciating the. The foot being place in the boot was even worst😩😩 I didn't allow them to take the sutures out on the other side of my ankle because I could nolonger stand the pain so I ha e a return apt on 2/16 i know exactly how you feel I pray they we all recover and get through this ordeal.. we just gotta stay strong each day is a day of healing best wishes

• Posted

Oh god I totally totally completely fully feel your pain- who the hell expected it to be this painful and life changing ( for the time being) but we are both still in the very early stages- I am finding that the more ice - more often with a buffer between skin and not getting behind on meds ( which might be extra strenght Tylenol )is truly helpful.. I get ice in the middle of the night as well otherwise I can't tolerate the pain.

I am trying to remind myself of things I am grateful for as well- like this forum- having others like Green Olive and you share our experience and know we are at different stages makes me believe there is hope at the end of the tunnel.

Also even when I take uber the drivers have told me of going through terrible injuries and here they are living life. I think we are going to have bad days and meltdowns at moments just because this sucks and and its scary. I'm glad we have discovered each other. Just like you said one day at a time. I'm glad you wrote and are reading about are following how those in this group are struggling and coping. Please keep me posted on your progress.

• Posted

Hi, I am so sorry. I am 63 years old and had my injury on 12/29/16. I am glad I was active before my injury. I am bored just laying around day after day. But as my grandkids remind me just keep swimming, keep swimming. Lol people keep telling me there is light at the end of this long journey. 1 month ago I couldn't take a shower by myself but today I can. YEAH!!!!!! Keep swimming! 

• Posted

Thanks for writing Airella! I have a young sweet aide here today washing me and my atrophied tussy that looks like a ninety year old woman.

I will look forward to being able to bathing myself and firing up my butt.

• Posted

OMG! That is too funny. You are looking into shedding some skin once your cast comes of. That looks scary at first but your end up with new skin smooth like a baby butt. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.