Active Abcsess Age Range

Posted , 4 users are following.

**How "old" are your most problematic abscess spots? **

**Have you had success healing for long periods of time? If yes, what finally closed it up? **

I was in my early twenties when my first true flair up happened and I began realizing something wasnt right. I still have this abcess, and although I have been lucky enough to go through short bouts of unpainful/almost healed ( as much as HS healed can be)

It has been active and open for 10 years. Older thank both my children!?

If you've had an open abscess for years, do you feel like its rooted or am I crazy?

--I swear it's created new blood supply veins from constant immune system retaliation.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Love the depth of this question. Had them sporadically all over since 18 or so, but concentrated under the arms. More frequent as time went on. Around 26 the right underarm was so frequent it just became a permanent little duct. Convenient and horrendous because flareups would just discharge instead of becoming painful abscesses. Many doctor's visits, ointments, antibiotics, no luck. Around 32 i found this forum and saw many people talking about dietary connections. Tried cutting out different things without results until i noticed when i didn't drink soda or eat candy the pain would be gone the next day and the lesions would be healing instead of getting worse. The next year was spent testing different kinds of sugars and amounts to see what i could handle. Thought i could get away with just fruit or diet soda. They have a lesser effect but still cause small flareups and discharge. At 33 I've found the limit to be totally unforgiving, and even the sugars in half an onion will cause my right underarm to start acting up. The only thing i know i can eat safely are unprocessed meats, steaks and such. Anything with natural sugars, even broccoli at 1g sugar per cup will cause a tiny discharge. From preliminary testing I don't think high glycemic foods have an impact as long as they don't have direct sugars in them, but need to test more. Because of testing and giving into cravings I haven't been able to maintain a long enough stretch without discharge to heal my right underarm. I can't imagine though that if i could remain sugar free for a few months the duct wouldn't also heal.

• Posted

The one wild card seems to be alcohol. Days when I've drank a lot, like alcoholic levels of 12+ beers or most of a bottle of liquor, I'll wake up the next day with the duct damn near closed, and any lingering lumps shrank by 90% plus. It's ridiculous.

• Posted

Wow that's heavy!

I found out my I shouldn't eat chocolate and I guess it took me 20 years or more to figure it out.

I also noticed a change when I started taking L-Carnitine. Instead of having boils in my groin area they disappeared and little zits appeared all over my bottoms.

Also I'm on a strong birth control pills, they helped me when I was 18. And every time I go back on that pill and it seems to help.

I use zinc ointment to heal the boils (Sudocreme for diaper rash)

And iodine liquid or salve if it's nasty.

I don't drink alcohol so I don't know about that one.

I read a lot of people who have flare ups from sugar or dairy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.