Active B12

Posted , 3 users are following.

My B12 levels were 281 last September. Ive recently had my ACTIVE B12 levels tested privately and they were 68.6 pmol/l with the range being 37.5 - 188.

Before the test I was supplementing with 1000mcg sublingual B12 but stopped 2 weeks before.

Is my active B12 test low?image

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A wiser person than I has commented:

Times for testing

"Taking supplements that contain B12 will affect any tests ordered by your doctor to assess your B12 status. You should not take any supplement with B12 before having your B12 assessed (including MMA/homocysteine/Active B12). For testing intrinsic factor antibodies: keep one week between an injection and the test. "

I'm not sure whether supplementing a fortnight before may have skewed the result. Could you 'phone Medichecks and ask their advice?

I am not a medically trained person.

• Posted

My reply is awaiting moderation probably because I mentioned the tester's name.

You see what I mean?

• Posted

ive no idea about the levels but i suffer pernicious anemia due to an operation on mu bowel i had to save my life as a baby or i would have died. i get 3 monthly injections of b12 and the doctors dont bother checking my levels they just inject me so i presume my levels keep going up!?? i do know that your body stores b12 in organs so if stopped injections it coukd take up to three years or more for the build up stored in your body to dissappear!

the injections cause symptoms of weak muscles, sore painful calves, sore tongue and flu like symptoms and tiredness, and upset stomach! basically the same symptoms of pernicious anemia!! its a no win situation!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.