Active life of blood pressure pills

Posted , 5 users are following.

Although 80 my blood pressure has always been good except at the doctors(white coat syndrom).

I have just finished 7 months of (folfox) chemo for colon cancer when the blood pressure remained good.

However after finishing chemo the side effects especially peripheral neuropathy became much worse and I became very angry with my situation  as the oncologist gave me a bad chest cold and also  I had been led to believe side effects would go when chemo stopped. My blood pressure increased to to the165 92 level and my docter prescribed a combination pill of amlodopine and valsartan. The blood pressure reduced in a week and soon ws in the region of 114 63. However the side effects were bad and the doctor prescribed a new pill. I was on the previous pils for two months.

I reviewed my position and came to the conclusion that my anger was the problem and made a big effort to let things go.

I have been off the pills for three weeks and the readings are still very good at 120 70 .

Anybody have an idea as to how long the active life of the pills would beafterstopping them?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a Doctor by any means but, if you're are / were taking the pills daily then my guess would be circa 24hours or less! Someone much more knowledgeable than me will be along in a minute :-)
  • Posted

three days and the meds would be out of your system  good luck
  • Posted

My other halfs bp will rise after 24 hours without his enalapril so I would say about24 to a maximum of 48 that's why if your on bp medication it's a must you don't miss days.
  • Posted

My other halfs bp will rise after 24 hours without his enalapril so I would say about24 to a maximum of 48 that's why if your on bp medication it's a must you don't miss days or it will spike which can be more dangerous than a higher bp
  • Posted

It can vary with each drug. I should think that the drugs you were taking are out of your system by now as you were not taking them for a prolonged period but I seem to remember that it can take three months for every trace of Candesartan to work out, for example. As you can tell from my response, I am not a doctor. Anyway, good luck with your health after all you have been through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.