ACTUAL recovery time for Aquablation

Posted , 31 users are following.

I am considering having the Aquablation procedure and I am concerned that the standard medical field responses may not portray an accurate picture of the true recovery times. I am 60 years old and am still quite active both sexually and physically. I am a runner and run marathons and ultra marathons. I have a marathon scheduled for September in Switzerland which will require quite a bit of training. I read that in "most cases" you can return to your normal activity after 3-4 weeks. I am curious if anyone else who has had this procedure is a runner an how long it took to start back running and also how long before you can return to active sex life.

Trying to determine if I try to rush and get this done as soon as possible or if I wait until after September marathon and vacation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am now almost 4 months post surgery and wanted to give a final update unless anyone has questions. I did start back running and training 2 weeks after the surgery for an extremely difficult marathon with 5000 feet of elevation gain. Successfully completed the event this last weekend. So glad I had the surgery because I finally did not feel like I had to limit my fluid intake to keep from having to constantly find a restroom. Because of this I was able to stay on top of fluid intake and not worry about dehydration. The surgery was a game changer for me and I was essentially fully recovered at week 2 and have not had any issues since then. Sleeping through the night, no urgency issues, no retention and no sexual side effects. If you are considering this procedure, I would highly endorse it

I don't anticipate posting anything additional here in this thread unless someone has questions for me, or you can send me a message.

• Posted

Randy,

I had the procedure last Wednesday, six days ago. The catheter was left in until Monday morning. Aside from the discomfort of the catheter and some mild burning during urination yesterday, everything has been great. I was able to for for a nice long walk this morning. Urinary symptoms have already improved so much. It's like night and day. I have zero pain and feel great.

• Posted

Hi gentlemen,

Would someone explain "RE" and "PE," please. I don't recognize those acronyms. Thanks.

Also, my story:

First, medication: no improvement.

I had the Uro-Lift: no improvement.

About six months ago, I had a PAE (Prostatic Arterial Embolization). Again, no improvement.

Next month I'm scheduled for an Aquablation. I am concerned (actually frightened) that it will damage me to a point that I will have incontinence and sexual failure.

Any helpful words are appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Marc

I, too, struggled with those, but I'm English , so speak a different language anyway.

I'd guess Retrograde Ejaculation ( where it seems to take a wrong turn and up in the bladder) and Premature Ejaculation ( where it goes the right way but at the wrong time).

I'm recovering from robotic aquablation (4 weeks ago) and the process has been a bit up and down. No problems with the actual getting it up or down luckily; just painful at the end of peeing and blood appears in urine every now and again, once with what they seem to refer to as "debris".

Little advice given by surgeon prior to op so its learning on the job really. was told ok to return to work after 3-4 weeks but at this rate it'll be at least 6-8 weeks.

Flow rate seems better, and volume passed greater, though the urgency to go is still great. I have faith that it will all improve with time. I'm 64 by the way and reasonably fit, though that's probably nothing to do with it.

Good luck with it all and I hope it works fine. Nothing to be scared of...probably best to stay away from the internet though...ignorance can be bliss!

• Posted

Paul, your last statement is so right. I too am in UK and read many sites. Seems to see mostly patients who had bad experience, which made me aprehensive. Eventually found the BAUS site ( British Association of Urology Surgeons). The site is full of approved procedures, risks, advantages etc.

I was admitted to hospital in August 2023 due to water retention which was impacting kidney function. The Uros at the main hospital did not know about Aquablation and were persuading me strongly towards TURP. I had investigated TURP and although it seemed the standard op, does comes with after effects I was not prepared to accept. After much research, I found Urologists in the UK, who are experienced with this relatively new technique. Aquablation is NICE approved. The Uro's in UK who do the procedure are few and far between, usually based in and around major cities. That said I found a very good Urologist 250 miles from my home. I was offered a consultation in September. The Uro was thorough, mapping my prostate at the same time. I was shown in real time on the Uros scanning screen the shape, size etc of my prostate, which showed lobes within the bladder neck. Had the Op on 9th October, had been offered and earlier appt, but logistically was not possible.

The op went fine, apart from being wheeled into the pre-op theatre, I knew absolutely nothing about the surgery until back on ward just over an hour later. No pain, just catheter and solution flushing my bladder. The flushing was done for just over 24 hours when all traces of blood had disappeared.

The TWOC was more difficult. I had catheter in for 3-4 weeks. Uro said having had a catheter in for almost 2 moths before the Op had made my bladder lazy.

All is now well and functioning properly including ejaculation.

We are all different, physiologically. I am not overweight ( BMI 23.7) and fit, have allowed time for the healing etc to complete, have not pushed myself. Have seen others who start stenuous excercise too soon and then have problems.

• Posted

heres my long and convoluted story. I am 72 and in reasonably good shape. I was shooting out bladder stones shortly after starting working out on a recumbent bike. it didnt hurt . i finally saw a urologist. sent me for xray and ct scan. many stones and also a suspicious lesion which turned out to be bladder cancer. it was very low grade and non evasive. surgery on oct 19 2022. went home with a catheter. catheter out 5 days later. developed a UTI. it was the weekend so had to go to a doc in the box where they confirmed a UTI. they did a culture which wouldnt be available for a few days. gave me antibiotics , but they were the wrong type for what i had. the infection got much worse. went to the ER because of 102 fever and i could not pee AT ALL. got there just in time. i had sepsis . they put a catheter back in. i was admitted for 5 days. on super IV antibiotics, and also for 2 weeks after discharge. my urologist put me on flomax and took out the catheter after 6 days and sent me home. i couldnt pee at all. catheter back in. he referred me to a surgeon at NYU in manhattan. he recomended aquablation . he thought i had underlying prostate issues before any of this happened based on what i told him. procedure was scheduled for a week later on dec 29 2022. still on flomax to help urinate. dr told me i was 60 percent blocked and prostate was 66 grams. stayed overnight in the hospital. they took the catheter out the next morning. i was peeing a little but not enough. catheter back in. follow up a week later. all this time on flomax. the nurse took the catheter out and filled my bladder with saline. i then peed it out no problem. i was happy. the dr called a few days later to check on me. he said to stop the flomax. however my urologist said to take the flomax. iam so paranoid that i wont be able to pee without it, so i started to take it every other day. i just started doing this this week and dont notice any decrease in urination. im planning to stop it altogether very slowly. after all , the blockage is clear now so it should be ok. fingers crossed.

• Edited

I had this procedure done on 1/4/24 and the first 3 days were absolute hell due to poor pain control. I was in the hospital the first night and at the mercy the hospitalist who knew little about this procedure. I had lots of bleeding so the Urologist applied a pulling pressure with the catheter to reduce bleeding around it. I’d die before I‘d have it done again without heavy sedation for the first 3 days which was the length of time the catheter stayed in. Once the catheter was removed the pain became bearable but after 30 days I’m still not back to normal physically. My Hgb dropped from 12.6 to 11.4 from blood loss and it takes time to build blood back up. My doctor said no sex for at least 4 weeks but I’m not ready yet although I’m interested. Thankfully I am able to urinate like a teenager. Today is the first day the tip of my penis doesn't hurt at the end of peeing.My doctor said he didn't know what was causing that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.