Actually ill or just going crazy?? Health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Desperate for some help because I feel at the end of my tether sad basically I've had the following symptoms for about 6 weeks now:

Dizziness, feeling woozy and just 'not with it', headaches, diarrhoea and aching back. Not to mention blood in my pee which is being investigated. 

I've now woke up with a sore throat and wheezy chest and am just past myself with worry. My family think I'm mad and just a hypochondriac, my doctors put my dizziness down to anaemia or an ear infection. I'm actually wondering it anxiety is making me hypersensitive to any little ache and pain I have which I usually wouldn't think too much about. I've always been a worrier when it comes to health but I'm reaching new levels of anxiety. I'm looking at my little boy and thinking I might as well not be here and everybody would be better off without me. I feel so down. My partner just shouts at me for being so pessimistic but I feel so worried about all these symptoms that I can't get to the bottom of because I don't know whether they're a symptom of anxiety or what. I'm sick of being in floods or tears living in constant fear that all these symptoms are a sign of terminal cancer or something coz they're all related 

Any advice would be much appreciated 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes absolutely anxiety can make you too sensitive to every sensation, leading to health anxiety. Therapy can help, meds won't - maybe a good idea to ask about therapy with your gp?
  • Posted

Its disappointing that your not getting support from your family. I lost my marriage because bascially my ex wife didnt care. Happy to just dig me. Thankful since we divorced my life has improved. There are some great self help books on amazon that you can get your hands on while waitinf got therapy.
  • Posted

Hey Nicola I've been going through the exact same as you always feel dizzy and not right and I have been diagnosed with anemia and anemia really does make you feel like that and takes months to get back on track, have you got blood tests taken? I'm only 17 years old I'm a severe hypachondriac and also have really bad anxiety, and the whole sore throat and wheezy chest is all to do with the constant worry, that's what anxiety does to you it can make you very very very sick so trust me it's highly unlikely that you are terminally ill or have cancer because I'm going through the exact same as you and i know how it feels, I have my good days and bad days but I'm starting to accept the fact that I am okay and it's all in my head😊 it really is scary what health anxiety can really do to you it can make you think you have all these illnesses and diseases when really your perfectly fine! I know it's horrible but please feel free to text me back😊xx
    • Posted

Thank you Rachel I'm sorry that you are going through the same thing as me it's so horrible sad I'm glad you are starting to feel better though and learning to deal with it. I've had low ferritin (iron) for years accepted this but now with everything else that's going on I've started to worry that there's a sinister cause for it. Everything's just spiralled out of control. I can't believe that anxeity can make u develop a sore throat and cough etc. is so hard to not try and not link every little simple thing together and come to the conclusion the only realistic thing it can be is cancer!!! I know how pathetic that is when I write it but can't stop my mind racing. I'm going to see ANOTHER gp tomorrow in the hope that they can help me. 
    • Posted

No bother😊 I know it really is it's completely changed the person I was I was an outgoing 17 year old who didn't have a care in the world just got on with life and school and friends and a lot that my anxiety was family and social issues, my grandad passed away a year ago and now my granny has been diagnosed with cancer herself and she lives with me so I think for me to be going through very stressful times the past year has defiantly made me feel like this! Also I've been told all this is to do with hormonal changes going on and all that and that's what's causing it too, I've been told I'm way too young and healthy to be getting all them kinds of diseases I thought I had which I only convinced myself I had them by googling them! Don't know how many times I've been to my doctor how many bloods have been taken and the only thing that's wrong with me is anemia and anxiety, if there was anything more serious It would've came up in my bloods or gotten worse and the only way I'm making myself worse is by my hypachondriac and anxiety, so please try to relax and take it easy your not alone Nicola I'm here any time you need to talk even though I'm only 17 haha I'm going through it too and I know how it feels😞 xx
  • Posted

Wow.i came down with anxiety 2 years ago out of no where.i woke about 5 am thought I was having a heart attack.i finally calmed down about an hour later fell asleep for an hour but didn't feel right still like it traumatized me and all I could think was why did that happen to me .After a month of struggling and still not feeling right I went to the emergency room cause I was having pain on my left side running down my arm .they ran ekg on me and the whole time I was a nerve wreck.they admitted me and that made me even more anxious to where it caused me insomnia.the next day the a doc came in and said he was the cardiologist and I panicked instantly before he could even tell me any results .He says there's no evidence of a heart attack in your blood work .I want you in my office in corpus Christi Texas for a stress test.high anxiety again to where I didn't sleep with continued chest pain.the next day came did test then had to wait 2 weeks for results .Needless to say was a nerve wreck couldn't sleep .well results were normal .I follow up with my doc and tells me I had panic attack.he said ekg was abnormal but only cause my heart was racing when I went in .so he gives me a a blood pressure pill that made me feel worst.so I go back a month later after I went 7 nights and 7 days with insomnia so he gives me ambien and celexa which just made me worst.well I finally start feeling a little better on my own but still not feeling like myself lost my job cause of everything .so it was ugly and now I'm having high anxiety again after always feeling anxious for past 2 years but could cope and still sleep as long I slept I could deal with the anxiety but now I'm occasional insomnia and it's making me remember the nightmare 2 years ago .dizziness , nausea , headache all the time .and like you now I'm thinking must be brain tumor or cancer or cancer somewhere .so I know how you feel .it's easy for someone to say think positive and not negative when it's something that we can't control.we didn't ask to be attacked by anxiety it just happened .And unless someone has experienced they have no idea how miserable it is to constantly no feel at peace .it sux!
    • Posted

Hi Ralph! I'm the exact same I was in trouble with the racing heart and dizziness pain headaches and muscle pain everywhere and it's on going cus I'm constantly thinking about my health! I know it's horrible I hate the way my family just always tell me to relax and take it easy when they haven't a clue how I'm feeling or what I'm going through, it gets me so upset I cry all the time I feel like I'm depressed and all sorts and I'm only 17 I have my whole life ahead of my I'm in my last year of school I want to go to college I want to travel the world but now my anxiety has changed that completely! It's so hard to live with I know it really is😞
    • Posted

The good  news is I had it back when I was your age for about 2 years.it hit me again 25 years later .I hope it runs it course soon. It will pass for you.
    • Posted

Really?? I hope so can't deal with it anymore it's driving me crazy😭 doesn't help that I'm a severe hypachondriac too
  • Posted

Don't think the worst until you know the answer. It could just be a simple infection causing the blood in the urine.  General health anxiety patients think this way so try to avoid it. Better to wait until you feel a bit better and deal with less diagnosis and more pragmatism.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.