Acupuncture

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried acupuncture to Rx their RA? If so what sort of experience did you have? Did it seem to help, did it do anything at all? My Rheumatologist tried me on Hydroxochloroquine to start and just today suggested I try methotrexate. I'm hesitant to start the methotrexate, wondering any one has tried alternative medicine with any luck?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am doing acupuncture with methotrexate and Paquenil. I think the acupuncture helps me some with the pain, but I find it helps with the mental stress and fatigue. That's just me. After an acupuncture session, I feel very relaxed and much less stressed.

• Posted

I have tried it for my neck. I felt that the massaging after the needles were removed was the best part of it and while it helped my neck a little bit, I found it very painful to lie in the face down position for so long and very hard to get up off of the table because my neck was so inflamed. I went for several months, but I have decided if I do it again I will ask to sit in one of those face forward massage chairs.

I also was started on plaquinel first, then had methotrexate added after 5 months because it really didn't help. I have since gone off of plaquinel by my choice, and yes I discussed it with my Dr. I'm on 20mg weekly of methotrexate injection along with 1mg folic acid daily. He wants me to try Enbrel but because I have horrible insurance it would cost $4500 a month and I just don't want to have to pay that anount. So the plan is to continue on with what I'm doing and take prednisone for short periods of time when I flare bad, at leat for now. Alternative is good as a compliment to traditional medicine but because it can't slow the progression of the disease I am staying on the methotrexate.

How you treat this horrible disease is an individual decision, so best of luck to you with what you decide.

• Posted

Have you tried contacting the Enbrel company to see if they will cover the costs? If you have any kind of insurance they will work with you. I take it and they gave me 6 months free, then I pay 10$ a month
    • Posted

No I haven't but thanks for letting me know they do this. I never thought of it because I'm so used to getting turned down for any kind of programs ike this because we own our own business and they say we make too much...that's a joke. Anyone's who's ever owned their own business knows that everything you make goes right back into the business... I'll check into it. My rheumatologist tells me it will put me into remission...wouldn't that be a golden day!?

• Posted

Hi Jane

2010 I was diagnosed with RA because I had the onset of pain and numbness wouldn't subside and I wasn't sure but didn't think it was carpal tunnel and didn't want surgery.

But prior to that I tried accupunture. A few months maybe as many as fifteen or twenty visits?

I really felt no improvement. I thought it would but no.

MTX and eventually Enbrel and I'm in a good place.

Kind of forgot about it. I'm not a believer or disbeliever but it didn't help me.

That's my acupuncture experience.

Good luck to you!

Em

• Posted

Alternative medicine will not stop any progression of RA. It MAY help with you tolerating the symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.