Acupuncture

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried this? says it can also cure depression, desperate now!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

My experience was similar to tsea's. Acupuncture is very relaxing, but it didn't do much for my depression.

Stick to the tried and true methods: Therapy, medication, diet, exercise, rest.

• Posted

Hi!

My name is Elena. Saw your post and it looks like you know what you are talking about and have experience in dealing with depression and anxiety. You have mentioned methods: therapy, medication, diet, exercise and rest. I am on medication for more than 3 years and it looks like it helping me but still have a huge problem with tiredness and luck of energy. I always feel like I am completely drained. Trying to do regular yoga classes, love it but still feel good after the class only. Next day - same story. Constantly want to sleep at the midday, thanks god I have flexible hours work otherwise I don’t know what I am gonna do with my life. In my 40’s literally taking midday nap for 2 hours otherwise I can’t function at all. And I mean it I am not exaggerating. Feel embarrassed about it and can’t do anything about it. 

Do you have any suggestions, maybe also something that I can read about it? I have read a post about a guy who sleeps 15 hours a day, I don’t want one day discover that I am doing the same. It just like lack of energy and constant tiredness killing me emotionally. 

If you have any advice i’ll Be happy to hear from you, thanks. 

• Posted

Hi Elena (are you Greek? So am I),

I have been battling depression and anxiety since my early teens. I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 38, have been on Paxil (an SSRI) since then and am 63 now.

Fatigue is quite common among people with depression, it sucks the energy out of you. Your body is telling you that you need more rest-listen to your body! Nothing wrong with getting a lot of sleep if it makes you feel better.

Now, saying that-you need to have a full physical completed by your GP. My wife and I do it every year. Have him conduct a full blood panel and make sure everything is functioning OK and that you have no deficiencies. Thyroid problems can cause fatigue (my wife and one of our beagles had this problem, but supplements cured both of them) but so can many other things. Eliminate the usual things.

Fighting Depression/Anxiety (they are related problems and caused by the same region of our brains) must be conducted on all fronts. As I noted, you need proper diet, regular exercise, enough QUALITY  sleep, Therapy and medication. Medication will help you feel better, but to get at the root cause of your issues you need Therapy by a good, seasoned therapist. And Therapy is hard work, it is not easy if you are really working hard at it. You'll need to get into some probably unpleasant memories, but it's the only way to discover what is really promoting your anxiety/depression-and to address it.

Your whole lifestyle will probably need to be changed-but the good thing is there is a positive payoff if you do these things. We can beat depression and anxiety if we really work at it and continue to work at it. It's a continuing process-not a one time procedure. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you Phil!

No Russian, not Greek. smile

Again thank you for such a detailed reply. I think I do need to look for professional therapy. I do want to get to the roots of my problem. Heard about relation to a thyroid  too. Need to talk with my GP about it and to do a proper blood tests. And looking at your example looks like you can live normal life and fight depression at the same time.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hello valerie, i would agree with other replies, that while relaxing, accupuncture didnt appear to do much for my depression, it did relax me at the time, so probably did help on a very low level. However, years ago, when i just had just really bad anxiety, i had 6 shiatsu massage treatments, which completely cleared up my anxiety for a few years.

Shiatusu is a massage, where they work on and massage the exact same pressure points used in accupuncture. As its hands on, with a fully trained practioner, i think it worked at a much deeper level than accupuncture. While having it done, always went into a dream like state, and time flew. Remember afterwards when walking away from the place, had to walk down a steep hill, seemed like i just floated down it. Once while walking down the hill after a session, saw person who referred me to the practioner, and she guessed straight away id had a session, from the relaxed smile on my face. Ive tried both, shiatsu had a much more notiecable effect. Depends on the practioner.

• Posted

I have recently been diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome following ankle surgery last October and my Consultant has requested acupuncture for me. Unfortunately she was under the impression that our surgery was the kind where appointments were available and Consultant's recommendations were followed up. However, this is a highly qualified and much respected surgeon and she is confident that acupuncture would help. If the opportunity does come up I will certainly give it a try. I do hope you feel better.

• Posted

I have been in your position. Acupuncture can relax but unfortunately did nothing for my anxiety and depression although some say it helps.  My feeling is it can assist in milder cases but mine isnt mild.
    • Posted

You are spot on, if you have depression and anxiety, accupuncture doesnt touch it. It works very well on physical injuries etc. Shiatssu would be a better to try for anxiety and depression, as it cured my anxiety, when i had just anxiety.
    • Posted

Just rememberred, i did try shiatsu for depression and anxiety, it didnt work for both of them. Doing your own yoga practice daily would be better, as by doing it daily, has more effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.