Acupuncture for Anal Fissure

Posted , 5 users are following.

I thought I would write with my experience of having had an anal fissure and how I seem to have now overcome it, in the hope that this might be of interest to fellow sufferers and might at least give hope to those of you suffering the agony of a condition which literally took over my life - twice! I remember how desperately i looked for ideas on this forum and valued other people relating their experiences and successes.

I am in my late 40s and I first developed an anal fissure just under 2 years ago. I had been away on a very hectic business trip and had been suffering from a really heavy cold. These two factors made my diet unhealthier than usual, with irregular eating habits and limited intake of drinks and high fibre foods. One hard to pass stool which literally got stuck and I experienced that razor sharp glass-like pain and on-going agonising discomfort for hours afterwards, although sometimes the after pains didn't kick in for one to two hours after a BM.

I tried to perservere but 2 weeks later I resorted to a GP visit where I was given a cream containing a small amount of lidocaine to help with the pain and a laxative medicine called Lactulose. There was no pain relief from the cream but the laxative helped to make the BM fast and slippery and therefore more bearable. Ibuprofen gave me the best pain relief. After a couple of weeks the symptoms subsided but then there was a relapse and I was back to square one. This episode was generally \"cured\" though, after about a month. I felt on top of the world.

Unfortunately about one year later, I suffered a further heavy cold and was feeling generally under the weather when a bout of general sluggish digestion and mild constipation led to exactly the same condition returning. Straight to the GP that time as I knew things would not improve on their own, no matter how careful I was about my high fibre diet. This time I was given Rectogesic ointment which did nothing for the pain or discomfort although I hoped it was helping to heal the tear. I took ibuprofen and paracetamol regularly for the pain. Two tubes later ie 2 months of agony and I was at my wits end with no hope of a solution in sight. At this point I resolved that enough was enough. One bout which i seemed to have overcome was bad enough but I was not prepared to put up with the prospect of this recurring and I sought out alternative help, finally settling, after much on-line reasearch, on TCM - Traditional Chinese Medicine. This involved a weekly acupunture session with a practicioner who had studied for a 4 year degree in TCM at a UK university. A session lasted one hour and cost £35. Between sessions I take ceasy to swallow chinese herb pills (costing £7 per week). After 2 sessions I could go to the toilet without the agony and over the coming weeks I had only occasional but certainly diminishing discomfort during and after bowel movements. Within 4 weeks I felt 80% better.

6 months on I am pain free and have been for about 5 months now. I attend once every three weeks and the aim is to cut down to monthly or less frequent treatments as my body takes over the role of balancing itself and coping with normal life, eating habits and general ups and downs of health.

The treatment is not pleasant but not too uncomfortable and i feel completely different. Not unrelatedly, other health issues have also resolved themselves such as menopausal flushes, night time waking and fewer aches and pains. I no longer have dry, hard to pass stools and my haemorrhoids (with which I have suffered for at least 20 years) have been completely trouble free.

I can't explain or really understand what the treatment does and how it works but I suspect my anal fissure was a symptom of a more general imbalance. I was heartened, when I first told the practitioner of my problem, that she knew exactly how my problem presented itself and it was quite clear to her what deficiences or imblanaces i must therefore have.

I hope this gives you some food for thought. If you fancy giving it a go, do find a qualified, registered, experienced TCM practitioner not just someone who does a bit of acupunture along with other types of treatment. You need an expert in their field.

Good luck!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am suffering from similar condition. Can you please tell me the name and details of TCM doctor you went to. Also let me know if the condition recurred
  • Posted

I treat patients with hemorrhoids with great success, but I never treated patients with anal fissures. Appreciate if you could provide me with the name and email address of your TCM doctor because I have patient with this condition.
  • Posted

Can you send me the contact details of TCM practitioner. My wife has been suffering for the past 4 years and now it has gone to worse.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi,

Do you have an e-mail address to the TCM practitioner?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.