Acupuncture for broken ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone tried acupuncture for their broken ankle recovery and if so how was it? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Diane,

What a wonderful question.

I didn't use acupuncture during my ankle recovery, but it's a great idea. One could also use acupressure too if you can get your hands on a reflexology chart showing ankle and foot points (without the needles).

As you know, according to our understanding, acupuncture and reflexology work with life force energy, or Qi, and help unblock and circulate it through body's meridians to accelerate healing from disease and injury.

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), which also uses herbs among other things, can be a useful addition to a conventional Western allopathic treatment.

Tip of the hat to you for the idea.

• Posted

I already do reiki on myself and I also see a reiki practitioner. My pt guy suggested dry needling but I'm going to try acupuncture. I know I have some energy blockage due to the auto accident trauma so I hope this will help. I'm just now getting back to meditating and want to touch base with my therapeutic yoga instructor to have her come to my house to go over a new routine for where my body is currently at.  She works with your physical, emotional and spiritual needs.  Tomorrow I go for an evaluation in regards to acupuncture so we shall see. 

• Posted

Diane,

I'm Reiki too (2nd Degree). I used Reiki on my injured ankle but it was a bit of an uncomfortable reach to put hands on ankle. And I didn't feel the rush of warmth there like I do in other areas in performing just everyday maintenance energy work.

In my individual case I believe PEMF and SCENAR devices were of more value in bone and tissue healing. Just my 2 cents worth.

Still, as many energy workers believe, healing begins at the etheric level first and then to the physical-- and is thus more efficacious.

Don't forget diet and nutrition aspects to healing.

All ankle injuries are traumatic to a greater or lesser extent. Since you were in a car wreck you have my deepest sympathies-- but still I am sure you will heal your emotional/mental as well as physical trauma over time (time heals all wounds they say).

Since you are obviously aware of advanced practices like yoga, Reiki, and reflexology I think you have a clear advantage versus relying only on conventional medicine on your healing path.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Wow! That was such a loving response!! I'm currently having ultrasound on my bone bruised knee and didn't even think to mention doing some on the inside bone on my ankle. It hasn't fused all the way yet.  Thanks for bringing the pemf up! I'll talk to pt about it tomorrow! 🙏🏼

• Posted

When I broke my arm/elbow about 7 years ago, my physio used acupuncture among other approaches. Not sure of its value in and of itself,  but the overall outcome of physio was excellent...
  • Posted

Good afternoon Diane.

Last fall i was seeing my physiotherapist, and she had mentioned trying dry needling on my ankle. I tried it twice a week for roughly a month or a month and a half. It seemed to work for a few days at a time, relieveing some pain, but not all of it.

Not sure what type of problems you are having with your ankle, bur hopefully this helps.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks! I broke my ankle 22 1/2 wks ago. A drunk driver hit me head on. I shouldn't have survived the accident. His blood alcohol level was .284! I've been out of the boot for about 2 weeks now. I've got a plate and 6 screws in my ankle and it still holds a lot of pain and stiffness.  I also have fibromyalgia so I hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi 

I also suffered a Motor vehicle accident in 2003. So I feel for you. How are you now?

I still suffer from TMJ and neck/ shoulder pain

And I did try the acupuncture for the soft tissue damage in my shoulder and back and it worked very well. Not sure how well it would work for broken bones 

Would like to know

I do know what a huge difference increasing my fruits and veggies and reducing systemic inflammation made on my ankle health.  

Best of luck

• Posted

I decided against the acupuncture. I would need to do at least four sessions and at $90 a pop it isn't happening right now. It's bad enough I have medical bills up the wazoo from this.  Overall I know I'm recovering but doing so slowly. My ankle is so stiff even after 23 wks!! I'm walking around the house without aid for most part but I have a bad limp. Usually have my cane or walker when outside of the home. I walked the length of Walmart using the cart for my guide and all I can say is "ouch"! I just hope the pain ends at some point and that I will be walking normal again! I'm going to start therapeutic yoga next week to see if it will help with regaining strength. Thanks for asking and I hope all is well with you also!

• Posted

Hi Diane,

Sounds like you are recovering nicely.

I understand your sticker shock on acupuncture costs. Good practitioners are probably well worth the cost.

However, my philosophy is to always use low-cost or free (think Reiki) healing options whenever possible. After all, few of us have beaucoup moolah to throw around freely on just any professional treatment or modality out there.

Don't forget acupressure is a viable alternative to acupuncture. While there are acupressure practitioners you can hire, you can also DIY. It is not rocket science, but rather ridiculously easy to do and very effective. Best of all, it doesn't cost you a dime.

Tutorials and how-to articles abound about acupressure on web, plus plenty of books about it are in your local library.

• Posted

Thanks!! I'm going to pt in the morning. The one thing I enjoy about it is them massaging the ankle and moving the joint around. It actually feels good. I'll mention acupressure to them tomorrow. I know they don't do reflexology. My reiki practitioner is coming on the 18th and she does it though. I'm going to check out tutorials to see what I can learn. 🙏🏼

• Posted

Good for you. Between your physical therapist and Reiki therapist you are probably in good hands (no pun intended).

Depending on the pressure points used, acupressure could help with both pain and swelling.

Be sure your physical therapist coaches you in correct posture and walking gait and not just the usual ankle exercises. That is extremely important to regaining normal ankle and foot balance and biomechanics. Ask your PT about Egoscue.

Watch your walking posture and for now walk with short step cadence to reduce stress on ankle and foot.

Deep tissue massage and the Graston technique are said to free up and mobilize fascia tissue and scar tissue. You could ask your PT about that too, and also inquire about adding essential oils to your massage workout to help with pain and swelling.

You can do some ankle and calf massage yourself with a foam roller or soft ball. Ask your PT about proper way to do it.

Also ask if a wobble (balance) board will help in recovery. I still use it even though I am essentially now ankle symptom-free in order to (1) strengthen and tone ligaments/tendons and (2) keep my sense of balance (both aspects are important to stay ankle-healthy and fortify against future sprains and injury.

Just hang in there and be defiantly persistent in your recovery. I believe the motivated and take-charge patient will nearly always do well in the end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.