Acupuncture for Trigeminal Neuralgia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Wondering whether anyone has had success with acupuncture for TN?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello

It was wonderful but I would have had to have an acupunture person with me everyother day

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry to disapoint, I tried 3 different practitioners of Accupuncture. One a highly thought of person. This was some 12 years ago. For me I had no improvement after many sessions. I did undergo a guinea pig type experiment with LILT wihich is a laser therapy with some similar thinking to Accupuncture. This appeared to provides some some improvement. 

• Posted

Yes, I have! Very successful for me. I've had the most hellish week with TN and at my wits end. Made an appointment with an acupuncturist yesterday and today, apart from a few shocks, totally no pain now. I'm also taking Magnesium Chelate too. Most people with TN are difficent in magnesium, so I would recommend you take it, but the Chelate is the best for TN. But a good quality one. 

• Posted

I have atypical TN and I have tried acupuncture. I took 10 treatments. I am not sure did it help. I am planning to try again in few months.
  • Posted

I went through 5 or 6 sessions with asomeone very compitent but i noticed no effect.
  • Posted

Thank you for all your replies. I read somewhere that it was a Godsend to other people hence my interest. As I'm sure you're all familiar with the feeling, I tend to grasp at whatever straws that might bring some kind of hope.

• Posted

acupuncture helps me a lot with side effects of anticonvulsant medicine used to address TN. helps with dizziness and mouth sores. In general it helps me a lot. I had some bad experience with needles directly on affected area (for me lower left cheek). I recommend the POCA network for affordable care. 12 or so people resting in the same room. sliding scale payment so available $35 or less per treatment.
  • Posted

Hi,  I also had a session of approx 10 sessions.  Weekly for a few weeks, then fortnightly.  I was going through a really tough time when I began, and I came out the other end very much better.  However, I felt I wouldn't continue as I felt I wasn't improving past the point I was at.  So yes, I do think it helped me greatly.  That was in March to June this year.  I'm still good, and the only other thing I take aside from Lyrica and Trileptal, is Vit B12 METHYL.  

• Posted

Hello

my daughter has TN for over 10 years.  2 MVD 1Raz June of this year and 3 raz procedures this week. Our neurologist cannot operate anymore but the pain is still there with "spikes" as she calls them.  He suggested acupuncture and some pain management.  We are open to anything right now.   How many times a week did you start with.  Thanks

• Posted

Hi to you, I began with 1 treatment per week and then 1 per fortnight, for a total of 10 sessions. After I ceased the acupuncture sessions, I began taking Vit.B12 METHYL.  Anyway, since that time I have been pain free, but still take the above meds regularly and evenly throughout the day and night.

I'm hoping it continues.  For your daughter, anything is worth a try.  Try to choose an acupuncturist with experience in treating TN.  And I do recommend trying the Vit B12 METHYL.  I take 5000mcg daily.  Once again, it may or may not help, but worth a try.

My very best wishes to your daughter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.