Skip to content
Ad

Trigeminal Neuralgia

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Occipital Neuralgia....

I had MVD for TN in Jan. 2017 and that took care of the TN pain which was wonderful but after I was weened off the medication  I had pain in the back left side of my head, the same side as the TN. After going to PT, acupuncture and massages, I was diagnosed as having Occipital Neuralgia. I had a...

Last reply
  • AEP AEP

Have TN bad.

Had for 2 years off and on. Neurologist has me on that nerve medicine everybody takes. Works during the day but makes me sick and tired. At night it fires up no matter how much I take and can't sleep. Can't take this much longer. I realize there are people with worse things but this is in the...

Last reply
  • The emotional aspect of this disease

I will make this as short as possible. I'm still struggling with accepting this disease. I have very little support and frankly scared to death on how the rest of my life will be like. I have been in horrific pain for the last month and due to the lack of access to good caring medical professionals...

Last reply
  • Trigeminal neuralgia gum pain

I've had two trigeminal neuralgia attacks over the last two years. The first was lasted a month and a half and came after a root canal. The second came after a tooth had to be pulled due to a fractured root. I have facial pain on one side that has eased over the last month. I am now experiencing...

Posted
  • Mvd side effect

have done mvd recently 15 dats before my right hand and leg have little movment now i cant set and walk and i cant talk clear can any one suggest me good advice before opertion i was normal person, can any one suggest same experience

Last reply
  • Life after Gamma Knife

I had gamma knife radiation for a tumor and my TN (at the same time). I know it may take months for the trigeminal nerve to respond to the treatment but has anyone experienced this transition and could give me an idea of what to expect when things start to respond?

Last reply
  • How I survived, researched, and overcame Trigeminal Neuralgia

I'm going to tell my story so it will be kind of long, but has a great end ing..promise;-). In 2011, at age 29, I noticed a sharp pain when I brushed my teeth. At the time, like many others, I assumed it was dental related. I went to the dentist and they found nothing wrong. As the weeks went on,...

Last reply
  • Mvd side effects

I have done mvd recently 15 dats before my right hand and leg have little movment now i cant set and walk and i cant talk clear can any one suggest me good advice before opertion i was normal person

Last reply
  • V1 Branch pain only

I have been having intermittent shock/stabbing/burning pain in my forehead and eye area..sometimes a little bit of my nose. I went to a neurologist and he says it can't be TN because it is usually in other branches of the nerve and has triggers ( I have no triggers at this point). Does anyone else...

Last reply
  • Where are YOU?

Can we please, if you don't mind, post your location? State and city, State of treatment?? I'm in Louisiana, 2 surgeries in New Orleans, LA at UMC and getting MRI and seeing Neuro Surgeon at West Jefferson Medical Center tomorrow to discuss further options....

Last reply
  • TN and Migraine

Greetings to all. I have had a couple of truly horrific TN attacks over the last few months, in each case I have also had a Migraine just prior to or after the TN pain/shocks have ended. I am at a loss as to how to manage this should it happen again mainly because of the overwhelming nausea and vomiting....

Posted
  • Dental work today ATN/TN so alone

I guess havent posted in the TNA network in long enough and now when I really need some help I have to wait for someone to approve me in a private group.  I have ATN & TN on right side. Just had hours of dental work on right side bc shocker, my teeth are awful over there. I'm DYING. Diagnosed...

Last reply
  • Trigemenial neuragia

I had this horrid nerve pain suffering of 8 years plus. It was the most painful of pains. Unable to have motion on my left side of face. Have been admitted to hospital 3 days on 2 ocassion. Mri report shows nothing , everything is normal . Good result without disorder

Posted
  • Tooth Pain

Hi, everyone! I've been diagnosed with atypical odontalgia, and it's maddening. It usually localizes in one spot in my teeth and may stay there for weeks, or months, only to spontaneously move. Both sides of my mouth have been affected but only one at a time . The pain is constant, with some...

Last reply
  • Withdrawal symptoms after stopping Tegretol

Wondering if anyone has know of this. I have been lucky when I read about others pain as mine started in June, initially I thought it was toothache, till it was in ear and top and bottom jaw. Saw GP who prescribed Tegretol, then dentist who agreed with diagnosis and treatment. Took 1 a day for week...

Last reply
  • Newly diagnosed with TN

Hi I'm 46 and have been suffering with what I have been told by gp is TN. I'm currently taking 600mg of tegretol and have been for last three months . It has stopped the terrible pain but I  still have the numb patches around jaw and left side of head very sensitive . I have a  MRI...

Last reply
  • Tegretol – Trigeminal Neuralgia – Remission

Dear all, Just felt the need to write and say, I am finally off Tegretol for the past 7 days and so far so good. I think and hope I’m in remission, never thought I would ever be able to say that!! :o)) it’s been a very long and tough year!  My story - As much as I hated the drug, it defo worked...

Last reply
  • Sudden Onset of TN

after years of bein on Oxcarbamezapine and Lamotrigine I have suddenly started having spikes of pain quite regularly. Have one now affecting my jaw and eye on my right side. The MRI I had to confirm that I have this condition showed that a blood vessel was wrapped around my TN nerve. I have had the glycerol...

Last reply
  • trigeminal neuralgia, seriously cant cope anymore, tips please

So I'm 24 and since Friday have been in agony, sunday the doctor said it was trigeminal neuralgia, after reading info on it, as I had never heard of it, its left me pretty depressed, I can't face doing any house hold chores, I've literally just lay on sofa, with my scarf wrapped round my...

Last reply
  • Olphtalmic TN

Hello, I've read a few comments and I'm noy sure any ressembles my situation, specifically relating to eye pain. I'll explain my situation. I had olphtalmic shingles mid-August (was put on Famciclovir for 10 days), and I guess now I'm post-herpetic though my eyebrow is puffy. My skin...

Last reply
  • Problems after MVD operation for TN - any advice plse?

I had MVD mid June this year, I am still struggling with numbness to tongue, gum and mouth on the left side where operation was performed behind my ear.  Just a few weeks after operation possibly due to biting tongue and lip have now got Burning mouth syndrome, consultant told me to see a dentist! ...

Last reply
  • DOUBLE VISION AFTER MVD SURGERY FOR TN

Has anyone out there had double vision after their surgery? It totally disorientated me.I had motion sickness and the lights hurt my eyes. I left hospital on the 9th day after surgery which included 2 visits to the Opthamologist whilst still in there.They said all they could do was put a patch on one...

Last reply
  • Coping with the stress- share some resources

When my daughter was first diagnosed with TN in the ER in Wisconsin she was prescribed tegretol which made her feel lethargic and she was sleeping 14 hours a day.  From my observations, as a nurse, one of the most challenging aspects to this disease is the stress.  The unpredictability of the...

Last reply
  • Help avoiding triggers

Hi all I have been suffering for about 6 weeks and was only diagnoised about 2 weeks ago. I am now on 300mg Carbamazepine. I don't have the typical symptoms as I get the pain in both sides either seperately or at the same time and have a pressure type pain in my temples between attacks, which I...

Last reply
  • Post-op MVD surgery

Hi everyone! I posted on here several weeks ago about how I was going to have this surgery done. I had some of the kindest people lift me up with encouraging words and in prayer. I wanted to give an update. I didn't want y'all to think I forgot about all of you! I'm now 2 weeks post op and...

Last reply
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia

I'm 23 years old and experienced my first attack a couple of weeks ago. I've had 4 more attacks since then and like a lot of you thought it was my tooth, so went to the dentist. They found nothing so i then went to my doctor who confirmed this is what he thinks it is. It always happens at night,...

Last reply
  • Atypical Odontalgia

Hi guys, For the past two months I've suffered with pain which seemed to stem from a crown I had previously had a crown and two root canals on. I also had a strange dull sensastion across my jaw and cheek, sometimes turning into tingling. After 5 dentists, and seemingly no explanation why I was...

Last reply
  • Facial numbness

Hey folks Can somebody who's been diagnosed with TN describe for me if they get facial numbness? I currently intermittently get numbness of my cheeks. Just below the eyes. Varying degrees of how bad it is. Dr and dentist both thing it could be TN as I was getting random electric shocks in the left...

Last reply
  • What started your TN?

I have been diagosed with Trigeninal Neuralgia. This pain came in May this year (2017) I have been off work since June 30. I was under a tremendous amount of stress prior to the pain beginning, I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas for what may have caused this? Everything has a cause...no way...

Last reply
  • Dental work

Mine started after dental work also. That is why I called my dentist and told them they had to get me back in. They took xrays, and found nothing wrong. The pain kept getting worse. I went to my Dr. finally and she diagnosed me with TN. I had never heard of it. I need a root canal on my left (surgery...

Last reply
  • Pain

I was never given any medicine that helped. I took gabapentin 300 mg 3 times daily and carbamazine but they never took the pain away. I went into remission once for a year. My Dr. insists that dental work had nothing to do with it. I just wish they could figure it out so people do not have to suffer...

Last reply
  • WHERE TN COMES FROM?

Mine started after dental work but my surgeon told me that I had a vein that dropped down and wrapped itself around the TN. He said when anything touches the nerve that is what makes the shocks. I do not know why mine did not start until I had some dental work done. I went to the dentist 3 times and...

Last reply
  • Do I have Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia ?

I have been suffering with facial pain since October 2011.  It seemed like toothache but moved from one tooth to another.  I went through all the general protocol of dentist, orthodontist, and GP.  My pain was intermittent and excruciating so I totally feel for what you describe. ...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.