Oxycarbemazepine and low sodium result

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have recently received a sodium blood test result of 126mmol/L. I currently take 2,350mg of Trieptal daily for my Trigeminal Neuralgia. 126 is borderline severe Hyponatremia. Has anyone else suffered Hyponatremia from Oxycarbemazepine and what were you advised to do?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am on Carbamazepine which is related to what you are taking. Yes- I have the same as you. Some witless neurologist told me to just use more salt. Duh...

• Posted

My mother is diabetic and under the care of an endocrinologist and nephrologist. The nephrologist saw that her sodium level was off and also told her to eat more salt. It had went below 100 at one point. On December 21, 2022, she was admitted to the hospital for shortness of breath and what they call a "hypertensive crisis." No one knew at the time the reason for the crisis was due to the pain from TN and also the meds for pain treatment she was on.

She has had TN since 1998. Was treated for it in 2005, with Glycerol injection rhizotomy. The TN returned in 2019. When she went into the hospital, the neurologist understood her blood pressure was high because of the pain of the TN. It had intensified when she was in the hospital. The doctors had no clue what to do about it. They instead tried her on several different meds. Before going into the hospital she was on Carbamazepine. She was also on a number of blood pressure meds which had to be changed because they were not lowering her blood pressure when the pain hit.

The hospital nephrologist found that the Carbamazepine was the culprit that was affecting her sodium levels. He explained that the drug tricks the brain into holding onto water. Since her body was retaining fluid, it would dilute the sodium in the body which affected her sodium levels. She was getting enough sodium from her diet, but the TN med was causing the low sodium. The doctor discontinued the Carbamazepine and put her on Oxycarbemazepine (Trileptal) , which did the same thing.

Once they isolated the two meds, she was given other meds for the TN pain which had varying side effects. She was given Gabapentin, Oxycodone, Lamictal (Lamotrigine) and Baclofen. None of these drugs helped with the pain. They would work about 1-2 hours before the pain was back. Plus, it took anywhere from 30-45 minutes for them to kick in. She was eating 650 mg Tylenol for the pain when she couldn't take another dose of medication.

We live in Dayton, Ohio, there are no doctors that we could fine or the hospital staff could recommend that treat TN. We had to go to Cincinnati. In fact, her neurologist is 1.5 hours from Dayton. Of course, she suffers because it's not a smooth ride from Dayton to Cincy.

After a second hospital stay on December 9th because of the pain and her blood pressure. Hospital staff treated her for the blood pressure and just tried to make her comfortable with the pain. Due to not being able to eat, she had lost about 13 pounds from the first hospitalization to now (De. 12th). On December 12, 2022, my sister drove my mother to Cincinnati to consult with a neurosurgeon recommended by her neurologist. She is supposed to have an outpatient radiation shot on Wednesday, December 14th. We will see how it works out. HTH

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.