Neuralgia - Is there any hope???

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. I haven't been able to wash my hair or face in days because of the pain.

I started Tegretol 5 days ago. 200mg once per day in the first week and from next week I will increase the dosage to 400mg per day.

I feel right now as if there is no hope of any pain relief. I appreciate Tegretol can take time to take effect, but is there hope??

When do you know that it is safe to touch or wash the problem areas?

I feel so depressed right now.

Thanks for listening.

xx

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

was diagnosed Monday with TN type 2. ive had this debilitating pain for going on 3 weeks. my neurologist told me that it could last a short time or could also be chronic.. he prescribed me oxtellar xr and pain killers. i have almost went absolutely insane over this pain . pain that drops me to my knees grasping my left jaw. its undescribable.. only hope i know of is surgery.. dont want that but it has to be better than this pain.. i pray you find answers and hope.

• Posted

Hi Keith71841,

Thank you for your message and I'm so sorry you are going through the same pain.

I am meeting my neurologist again this week to ask about surgical options.

I am not holding out much hope for the medication I'm on.

''i pray you find answers and hope.'' Ditto!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.