I think the gp has misdiagnosed me with trigeminal neuralgia

Posted , 3 users are following.

had constant dull ache in temple and when i touch the tip of my nose i get a sharp pain in the same temple. gp has diagnosed tn but it sounds different to everybody elses experience ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi kay50435,

I have also just been diagnosed with Neuralgia. Even the slightest touch to my forehead and the top of my head on one side, can cause the most shocking pain and literally shocking. It feels like an electric shock going through my head and is so painful.

Did you have an MRI scan to determine your diagnosis?

• Posted

Cookiedough what will it show. I have been having symptoms for roughly 6 weeks now, thinking it would go away, but has gotten more sensitive and worse. It first started out with just wiping my head with a towel to feel the shock down my left face, but now it's even when I bite food on my left teeth, wiping my eyes, or talking. What has worked for you to manage the pain?

• Posted

Hi fue12017,

Apologies for not responding sooner.

So the MRI scan is to rule out other conditions which can cause neuralgia and also to see if there is any clustering of nerves so that a neurologist can see where they might need to operate if you go down the surgical route.

I've been prescribed Tegretol - 400mg per day - and it can take a couple of months to work. I've been on them for around a month and to be honest it doesn't seem to be helping much. When I have an attack of the horrendous pain like lightning, I take a Tramadol.

I'm seeing the neurologist again this week and I plan to ask him what my surgical options are, because I just want this pain gone now for good!

Another thing, do you grind your teeth? If so, a good mouth guard from your dentist might help because I've been told so many times by my dentist that they can see that I grind my teeth. I didn't know I was doing so because I was obviously doing so while I was asleep. I have recently noticed myself doing it though while I'm awake so have been measured for a mouth guard by my dentist.

Teeth grinding can also be a culprit for causing neuralgia. So from tomorrow I will wear a mouth guard and see if that helps with the pain.

Please stay in touch with how you are getting on and let's all beat this horrendous condition together!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.