Acupuncture needles ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i recently posted about the risk in using acupunture needles but with no reaponse . can anyone tell me if a recently used needles was accidently on another patient would this be a sure route for blood transmission, i have a feeling acupuncture / myotherapy needles are different to medical needles and blood would die on the surface but as its being inserted into skin im still worried .

the reason for my worry is my very professional therapist whom normally uses a sharps container to dispose of needles used a kidney bowl for some reason during my last session , at one point i seen him go to accidentally take out of the kidney bowl where he had placed the used needle but he quickly realised where his hand was and went to the new packet. im worried if he could of gotten ditracted and re used a needle what the risk would . there was only about 5 mins between myself and his last client

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The effect of needle stick injury will be the same whatever type of instrument is used. Blood doesn't "die on the surface" - and it isn't blood you are worried about but what is IN the blood...

• Posted

ok i understand , so what do i do ? i have no exact proof if a used needle was used . do i go to a doctor? do i get medication incase .

im very confused as to what i do from here having not known if the needles were all new

• Posted

I have no idea what you can/should do other than speak to the therapist and then your GP - it might be a good idea to speak to the therapist first and see what their line is. If the needle was only used on you it is immaterial and it sounds as if it probably was, they were just collecting the needles from your session to dispose of all together at the end. You don't have any indication of who might have been the previous patient or whether they are carrying any infection. There is a protocol in the NHS to follow with needle stick but I don't know what it is - and I assume the therapist isn't NHS?

• Posted

your right , not much i can do accept ask for a blood test when things are detectable . i guess the odds are fairly low but i suffer anxiety and unfortunately everything is playing on my mind now .

the last session i had he accidently missed the sharps container while removing a needle from my back , he has older wooden floor boards so the needle was not obvious to find . . i think he looked for less than a minute and carried on with treatment . all these things now are making me uneasy .

nothing i can do now though so ill try move one . i will seek advice later and thankyou so much for the reply

• Posted

As far as my experience with acupuncture goes, the needles do not hit the blood vessels so even if you had someone else's, the chances of infection are minuscule. I have never seen any blood seeping, even minutely, in the probable 20 sessions I've had in my life.

I realize mistakes could be made.

I think, to calm yourself about it, visit your GP and get his input.

• Posted

thankyou so much for taking the time to reply . i did bleed in one spot just a little as he wiped it away with a tissue upon the needle being removed . i think i will discuss with my gp and possibly just accept that im too anxious to continue my sessions unfortunately .

thanks again 😃

• Posted

Is the acupuncture helping? In my case it was a waste of time, but if it helps it is probably worth finding someone you can trust more.

• Posted

yeah its helping , its technically myotherapy but the needles are the same thing .

it could be me over reacting, well i hope its me over reacting . i feel so paranoid though and you wont know if any issues until i think 12 weeks or something 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.