Acupuncture, Trigger Points and Prolotherapy ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been getting trigger point injections for such a long time now, they seem to last only a few days or a week.  Would I benefit more if I had Prolo or Acu?  Usually the trigger points are in my neck, my back is a whole other story.

If  you are familiar or have had these, would you kindly tell me what you think worked good for you?

Frustrated

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What is in trigger point injections? Just a lidocaine or procaine? And yes, they are very short lived.....

Acupuncture is good and LONG sessions are used for chronic issues, something acute can be helped pretty quickly.....my stuff is all chronic. I did 10 sessions of acupuncture recently for knee and foot/ankle and was getting "some" help but just felt not enough right now...so I stopped..... I had a lot of acupuncture over the last couple yrs too from my integrative rheumy who also does Prolo work.

Now if Prolo works, it's a long time "fix"....had dextrose in my shoulder over 4 yrs ago and got 3 yrs relief....one session of about 8 injection jabs at 8 sites on shoulder....

The more chronic the issue, the more Prolo can be needed and the more advanced Prolo like PRP or Stem Cells may be needed....

A gal who lived in our apt bldg years back was getting dextrose Prolo for the FM she dealt with and was having good results....her father was helping her financially.

So it all depends on finances and if you can FIND a good Prolo worker.

I had two sessions of Dextrose Prolo in my knee a few months back and it didn't help....knee is pretty darn chronic with OA. PRP is still on my mind so is $$$$...

• Posted

Thank you Joy, for responding.  I'm definitely going to check into this Prolo as this was caused by an auto accident and the insurance company will pay for any treatment a doctor suggests for the rest of my life.  So, fingers crossed, this will be my God-send!

Again, I appreciate your post, it was most helpful and full of good ideas!  My problem is also chronic.

Warm regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

Good luck, hope you can find a Prolo worker and get HELP. I know there are many in the U.S. but if you are in the UK, I don't know...but I believe they are there too.
    • Posted

Hi Joy ~

I am anxiously, excited to talk with my current pain doctor to see what he thinks about this.  The thing with my doctor, if it's going to help even if he loses me as his paitent, he's all for it.  He is just that nice a person to really put others before his needs.

Thank you for this valuable information! And, I'm in the US so hopefully I will have luck!  Quick question, I have fusions down from L2-S1 and C4-7, does that make a differenct?  Although I am fused pretty much jalf my spine, the SI joint is problematic.  Perhaps if nothing else, they would be available for Prolo.

Again, your help is dearly appreciated!

Regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

From what I understand it's harder for Prolo to work on backs that have had surgery... If you would get at least a consult from a Prolo worker I would

hope they be honest with you on this issue. Chances for best benefits are on areas that had not had surgery.

I do my share of struggle with back and joints and everything is worse since hip replacement in 2010.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed reference to the named doctor's details/website. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi I have had the trigger point injections before and I didnt find any relief from them at all.I am now waiting to have facet joint injections 

Joyce x

• Posted

Hi Joyce ~

Thank you for your response.  The trigger points I was referring to were like "tight shoulders" stiffness in the neck etc. The facet joints, if they are separated, I doubt there is much relief unless you get them reattached, assuming that is the problem.  My doctor suspects that this is the case after the second accident last year. 

I hope you get the release you need.  Let me know if they workd on your facet joint, please?

Thanking you,

Frustrated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.