Acute and transient back pains

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I'm no stranger to backaches. I get them from the way I lean while sitting all the time, and I get them during my period sometimes as well. But recently I've been feeling pain that's a little different from it and I was wondering if it's something to get checked out.

Typically, my backaches are in a general area without a primary focus, but these new pains have a distinct place where they stem from. It shifts around throughout the day, and some of the spots it focuses on are on the left just below my ribcage near my spine and on either hip. Sometimes I'll get it on the right, either by the ribcage or near my haunches. I'm also getting pains in my front, right under my chest where both sides of my ribcage meet, and sometimes in the lower left of my abdomen. 

I'm no stranger to transient pain. I have IBS which causes intestinal upset on a regular basis, and I have severe anxiety (general before, but now it's focused on my health) that makes me more sensitive to the natural that comes with having a body. (This anxiety often causes chest pains and headaches.) I am also technically on my period right now, but despite having the typical period symptoms, pains and cramps I'm not getting any blood. My doctor said it could be either stress or hormonal imbalance.

Sometimes the pain is throbbing and sharp, and other times it feels...almost tingly. Pokey. Like I'm wearing a wool sweater without an undershirt, or I have a loose tag on my clothing. Usually I know for sure where my back pain is coming from but it just seems...different somehow, this time around. The pain isn't getting worse by the day but I definitely can't get my mind off of it. I'm also terrified of gangrene and infections so it's really not helping my anxiety. 

Any suggestions would help. I'm really not sure what to make of this situation.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hy,Angel 

How long have you had this pain

1-Did it came cause time 

2-accident 

3-operation

Does your pain does it goes to the bottom of your foot, it seem like you have two condition a pinched nerve and a piriformis  muscle or sciatic nerve causing  you to have all those symptoms before you do anything please make sure you get a 45678910 opinion 

• Posted

It just sort of appeared two or three days ago. It has been very spotty and moves around frequently. I did have an issue a few weeks ago where my left heel was numb for a day, eventually it went away on its own but now my left leg feels sort of crampy. I don't know if it's related to the other pain.

• Posted

FYI I would be surprised if it was her piriformis muscle because the piriformis muscle is deep in each butt cheek. And she didn't complain about any pain there although it could radiates down her leg no doubt about that.

• Posted

I believe the rib pain is from your intercostal muscles. There's a muscles that keeps the ribs together but allows them to spread when you take a breath and your lungs expand. I've recently learned about them the hard way. I don't know about yours but mine got so bad I couldn't stand it any longer. It was the worst pain I have ever had including having both of my kids. But it did not start out that way. Over the course of two weeks it got that way. And here's the bummer of a thing, there's not a lot you can do about it. Of course you can use I've or heat which will help some. I have a pain management doctor for my lower back pain and they were going to do an intercostal nerve block. But I had to wait till I got off blood thinners for 10 days before they would do the nerve block and by the time the 10th day came around it was so much better I saw no point in getting the nerve block. For me it felt like somebody shoved a sword in my front below my ribs and then it came out my back below my ribs. Because I had a spot on the front and a corresponding spot on my back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.